Behind the Scars

Explosion

Allie smiled when she passed the sign that said 'Welcome To Gotham City!' She couldn't believe she was finally here. The drive up from her hometown of Cumberland, had been a gruesome seven hours. She decided to find the first hotel, and crash for the night.

It had been three months since her mother's passing. She had passed away quicker than anyone had planned. Allie debated on whether to smile or frown every time she thought about her mom. She missed her more than anything; but she also knew that her mother would never want her frowning. She sighed, pulling into a hotel parking lot. She shut off the engine to her small car, and then reached over and grabbed her coach purse. She reached her small hand inside and found the piece of paper quickly, she opened it up and starred down at the ink on the paper. Some of the words had been smudged due to previous tears.

My dearest Allie,

If you're reading this now, then that means the good Lord has come and taken me away. Please do not waste any tears over me though. I'm in good hands now, sweet heart. I want you to know that throughout my life, you were my guardian angel, the sunshine on my rainiest days, and the only thing that kept my heart beating during my darkest hours. You're the reason I made it as long as I did. You have grown up into such a beautiful young woman. I know you're going to do amazing things with your life. Never forget how much I love you.

I know you've got some unanswered questions now that I've passed. You've questioned me about your father from the day you figured out our family was different than everyone elses. Sweetheart; I've kept him a secret from you to protect you. I met him a long time ago-- in a city a couple of hours north from here. His name is Salvatore Maroni, and he lived in Gotham City. I left because he wasn't a good man. I cannot picture him changing his ways, and hope that you don't go looking for him, but if you do. Please, be careful.

I'll always be there looking over you.

Love,
Mom


Allie sniffled, and then rubbed the tears away from her eyes. It always pained her to read that letter. She folded it back up perfectly and tucked it inside her purse. She reached in and grabbed her wallet. She then grabbed one of her luggage bags from the back seat and got out of the car, locking the doors behind her. She walked inside the hotel, greeted the door man with a bright smile and walked over to the desk.

"I'd like to check in please." Allie said to the woman in the black framed glasses behind the counter.
"How long?" The woman ask, popping her gum.
"Two nights, please." Allie said.

She was going to spend two days exploring the city before she went in search for her father. After meeting her father; she would then decide on whether or not she was going to stay in Gotham longer.

The woman handed her a card for her room. She smiled, as she picked up the card and walked out of the front office. Glancing down at her card she smiled when she saw number seven. That was her favorite number. She stopped in front of the door, and slide her card, and walked inside. She looked around and groaned. It could have been a lot worse, but her room wasn't the best sight to look at. There was a small bed in the center of the room, and a lamp and desk in the corner. A old phone was sitting on the desk. A small television was placed on a stand in the corner of the room.

She placed her luggage and purse down on the bed and walked over to the other room, which she assumed was a bathroom. She opened the door and glanced inside. It was a pale green color, and the floor was stained with black spots. She walked over and looked down into the toilet and scrunched up her face in distaste when she saw the rings around it. The bathroom was a dump. She was glad she had only purchased the room for two nights; she would have to make due.

Walking over to her bed, she pulled out her cell phone and pressed the speed dial that would connect her to Alex. She waited patiently for her best friend to pick up, it didn't take her long, only a couple of rings.

"Allie!?" Alex's high pitched voice rang.
"Yeah-- it's me, I made it to Gotham in one piece. Aren't you proud?" Allie ask, sarcastically.
"Ecstatic." Alex said laughing, "How is it?"
"I just got here-- but this hotel I'm staying at is a dump. Seriously; I bet if I look under the bed, there's going to be a chalk outline of a body." Allie said, giggling.
"That's not something to joke about, Al, I googled that place! It's like killing spree central." Alex said.
"Alex, nothing is going to happen to me-- I'll phone soon, okay?" Allie said.
"Okay--"

Allie hung up her phone, and laid back onto the hard bed. She sighed, as she rolled over on her side. She wondered if her mother would be disappointed in her for coming here. She had to; she had spent her entire life wondering who her father was; now she finally had a chance to see first hand what her father was like. Her mother could be wrong; her father might be a great man by now.

She must have dozed off because, she suddenly heard a loud explosion. She bolted up and went instantly to her door, pulling it open. She stepped out and looked into the distance and saw clouds of Grey smoke rising through the sky. She folded her arms over her chest and scrunched her eyebrows up in confusion.

She looked over after hearing someone talking. Two cleaning ladies had the door to the room next to hers propped open. She scooted a bit closer and listened in on their conversation; hoping they wouldn't think she was eavesdropping; she just wanted to know what was going on.

"What was that explosion?" One ask.
"The Joker escaped Arkham again."
"Again? What is that the seventh time or something?"
"I believe so-- you know what that means, Gotham isn't safe anymore."

Allie stopped listening to the women and walked back inside her hotel room, locking the door behind her, and fixing the curtains so they hid every inch of the window. She didn't know who 'The Joker' was, nor did she want to find out. If Gotham wasn't safe right now; then she planned on staying inside as much as possible. She shuddered as she thought about the explosion.

What kind of people lived in this city? She wondered as she took the remote in her hand, and turned on the television. She tucked a leg under her as she turned up the local news. She was surprised to see pictures of the explosion already being broadcast. The headline said "Joker Escapes Arkham". She pushed down on the up volume button and listened as the man on the television spoke.

"Looks like the Joker has done it once again. He escaped Arkham this afternoon during a small explosion. Three are dead, and over a dozen are injured. Authorities are doing everything in their power to get him behind bars."

Allie shook her head, and turned off the television.

What kind of city had she come to?