Behind the Scars

Company

Allie fluttered her eyes open and yawned slightly as she looked around the room. She was surprised to see The Joker asleep on the couch. Across his chest was a book. She noticed the television had been turned off. She chuckled when she saw the cover of the book. She clasped her hand over her mouth, hoping she didn't wake him. She just didn't picture him as the type to read a book from the twilight series.

She pulled the covers up around her and starred at him while he slept. The painting on his face was starting to wear off. Pieces of pale skin were peaking through. Part of the scars was uncovered on his left cheek. The scars looked so painful. She caught herself wondering on how he got them. Was he in a gang? Had a enemy got his revenge? Was he abused as a child? Self inflicted? So many different outcomes were floating around in her mind. She jumped, as he groaned in his sleep. She watched as the black circles opened, revealing his piercing brown eyes. She couldn't deny the fact that his eyes were the prettiest shade of brown she had ever saw.

"Didn't your mother ever tell you not to stare." He mumbled, coming up from the couch.

She just rolled her eyes slightly and looked towards the television which held no picture.

"Cat got your tongue?" He teased.

She just kept looking at the television, hoping he would just leave her alone. She really didn't feel like getting gutted.

"Fine-- make this miserable." He muttered, getting up from the couch. The twilight book fell to the ground as he walked into her kitchen and poured himself a cup of coffee.

The coffee pot hadn't been used since her mother had passed. She really didn't like coffee, so she didn't feel the need for it. She watched as he gulped down some of the black liquid. He tossed her cup into the sink, and it made a large dinging sound. She just hoped it didn't break-- he had done enough damage to her property.

"So. . . anyone else live with you?" He ask.
"No." She replied quickly.
"No room mates? Family? Boyfriends?"
"No, no, and no." She said.
"So, I don't need to worry about any unwanted visitors." He stated.
"My friend may check in on me-- you know, since I can't answer my phone to let her know I'm alright."
"We'll just take care of her then." He said with a evil smile.

She looked over at him and her eyes rimmed with water. Was he serious? She wouldn't allow him to kill Alex-- he would have to kill her first.

"You're not killing her." She mumbled, looking away from him.
"If I want to-- I assure you. . . I will." He said.
"You'll kill me first then." She said, turning her attention towards him.

He was impressed by her. She had never seemed strong to him. Never stood her ground. She always just laid there and took whatever she had coming. He licked over his lips and grinned.

"Why the sudden courage?" He ask childishly, "Did I hit a nerve?"
"You hit nerves long ago-- Why don't you just get it over with. You don't need me alive when my. . .Sal comes." She said, not feeling comfortable with calling him her father; he wasn't her father, he was just a sperm donor.
"If they think you're dead-- what makes them want to come?" He ask.
"How will they know I'm dead?" She snapped.
"Are you wanting me to fucking slice your pretty little face up?" He ask, pulling the blade from his pocket.

She sucked in a deep breath, and all of the courage faded away. But she wouldn't allow him to see the weakness returned. She just shrugged her shoulders, acting as if she didn't care about her life. Part of that statement was true; since the loss of her mother, and finding out about how her father was, she really didn't see a need of living; who did she have to live for?

The Joker watched as she turned her face away from him. He rolled his eyes-- he should have known the courage would fade. He placed his knife back in his pocket and walked over to the couch and dropped down.

"So-- what happened to your mother?" He ask.
"She died." Allie said softly.
"No shit, genius. I meant what caused her death?"
"Cancer." She replied.

He nodded his head. He remembered his mother and sighed. In a way, Allie reminded him of his mother. She was never a woman with courage; but when it came down to someone she loved, then she would stand her ground. His mom would never allow his father to lay a hand on him; and from the mood change earlier; he realized that Allie would do anything in her power to keep him from hurting her friend.

"How old are you?" He questioned. She looked young, but he couldn't be sure of her age.
"Twenty three."

He raised an eyebrow. He would have guessed twenty one or possibly even twenty. He wasn't going for twenty three at all. She was just six years younger than him.

"How old are you?" She questioned.
"That's none of your business." He snapped.

She quickly nodded her head and returned back to looking at the blank television. He cackled.

"Why do you keep looking at a black screen?"
"Because-- what else is there to do?"
"Don't you have hobbies?" He ask sarcastically.
"I read-- but I don't feel like it right now."
"Oh yeah-- you read that garbage." He said pointing to the twilight book on the ground.
"It's not garbage."
"It's garbage-- what kind of fucking vampire doesn't kill people? Retarded teenage romance." He mumbled.

She rolled her eyes yet again. She wished Maroni would hurry up. Being in the company of the Joker was worse than being beaten by a mob leader.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image