Behind the Scars

Phone Calls

Allie was sitting in the middle of the giant bed clutching to the small pre-paid phone in her hand. It had been two days since she left Gotham, and she knew it was time to call and see what the damage was. She breathed out, and back in, and then dialed Alex's number. She held the small cell phone up to her hear as she waited for her friend to pick up.

"Hello?" Alex's voice said.
"Hey, It's me-- I got a new phone." Allie said cheery.
"Allie! Where are you? Oh my God! Are you okay?"

Now was the time to be an actress, she just hoped her performance was award worthy.

"I'm fine-- Jack and I left the day after your visit. He took me to California to visit. It's beautiful here-- so sunny."
"Allie-- You have no clue. . ." Alex said softly.
"No clue about what?"
"Your house." Her best friend said softly.
"What about it?"
"It's. . . it's gone." Alex mumbled, "There was a fire-- by the time the fire trucks arrived there was nothing left to save. They've been trying to get a hold of you-- but I told them you didn't have a cell phone."

Allie began sobbing. She hoped that it would work. She hated lying to her best friend, but she couldn't tell her the truth. Alex calmed her down, and convinced her that she should call the cops and tell them that she's fine. They were so scared she had burned inside the home. She phoned the local authorities in Cumberland and let them know that she was on vacation when her home burned. Dealing with the cops was much easier than she thought, they didn't expect anything. They just apologized for her loss.

Once she was finished with all the calls, she turned the phone off and placed it on the night stand beside the bed. She knew it was wrong; but part of he liked the adventure and danger of being around Jack. Even though she had lost so much since she's met him, and been placed in danger several times. His life was thrilling-- not something she could do forever, but something she could do for the time being. She wondered if he would want to do this forever, or would one day he want to settle down and leave behind his life of crime. She bit down on her bottom lip as she thought about him raising a family one day, coming home to his wife, and children.

The Joker walked into the bedroom and looked over at Allie. She was sitting on the bed chewing on her bottom lip like she always did. She seemed to be deep in thought. He cleared his voice, and she shook herself out of her day dreams and smiled lightly at him. Her smile caused a chain reaction in himself and he allowed a grin to curve into his lips.

"How did it go?" He questioned.
"Good-- I think I faked the whole crying out burst well, and the cops don't expect anything."
"That's good. One less thing to worry about."
"How's your calf?" She ask.

Allie had discovered that he had been stabbed in the calf just yesterday. She tried to tend to the wound, but it was already infected pretty badly. She scolded him for not telling her about it sooner. He just chuckled, "I've had worse-- I told you, it'll heal."

She sighed, as she laid back in the bed. "You should really start accepting help."
"I don't need help. Plus, what is a woman who weighs no more than a hundred and ten pounds, and stands at 5'3 gonna do?" He teased.

She rolled her eyes, "I weigh in at one hundred and twenty seven pounds, thank you very much." She said.

He chuckled, "OH. I'm so sorry. I was a couple pounds off."

He walked over to his dresser and began sorting through his ties. He was looking for the one he always wore when he went out into public as the Joker. He burrowed his eyebrows together when he was able to find it.

"Looking for this?" She ask, holding up to tie.
"What are you doing with it?" He ask.
"I like to get dressed up as a clown in a purple suit." She joked.
"Very funny." He muttered.

She giggled, "Sorry-- I couldn't help it-- you sort of walked into it, and kind of deserved it."
"Deserved it?" He ask.
"Yes! You was mean to me in the beginning." She stated.
"Mean? I thought I was actually pretty nice."

Her eyes shot open wide, "You call that nice?"
"I didn't kill you." He stated.
"You put my phone in a fish tank!"

He chuckled, "and you think that's me being mean?" He ask.

She bit down on her lip and nodded. He just chuckled again, as he ran his fingers through his fading hair. He walked over to her and took a seat on the bed. He took in a deep breath.

"I'm not going to apologize for the things I done."
"I'm not asking you to."
"Then why did you bring it up?" He questioned.
"I don't know-- I'm just, confused."
"About?"
"You changed." She said softly.

He winced.

"How so?" He ask, already knowing the answer.

He went softer. He stopped being a cold hearted asshole. He developed feelings for her.

"You. . . uhm, starting treating me good-- the tension faded, and I. . . uhm, I. . ."

She didn't know why she was fumbling over her words. She never got nervous, but being so close to him, and wanting to tell him how she really felt was making her jumpy. She sighed, "I think I started. . . no, I think I have developed. . . Oh God." She said, placing her hands over her face in embarrassment.

He didn't know what to think, or what to do. Was he suppose to remove her hands from her face, stare her in the eyes and tell her exactly why he changed towards her? Or was he suppose to just leave it the way it was and walk away while he still had his reputation.

"Jack-- I think I like you." She said softly.

Her hands were now off her eyes. He starred into her eyes and could swear they were sparkling. He half smiled, and then leaned in and pressed his mouth against hers. She was caught off guard by his kiss at first, but she soon realized that he had finally made the first move. She tangled her fragile small hands in his hair, and he pulled her back on the bed with him. She allowed his strong tongue to explore every inch of her mouth. When she finally moved her mouth away from his, he was smiling-- not grinning, or half smiling, but a full blown smile was on his face.

"I like you as well." He breathed, "But don't tell anyone-- I've got a reputation to protect." He joked.

She rolled her eyes playfully, and leaned back down and pressed her lips against his. She didn't know what this meant-- what could it mean? Could she really have something with this man? A man who murdered people?
♠ ♠ ♠
Image