Behind the Scars

Protection

Allie sneezed as the dust flew around her. She was cleaning their bedroom. She had no clue how filthy it really was. But what could she expect from Gotham's most dangerous criminal? She placed the large bag of garage by the door way and then walked over and began making the bed. Jack and two of his men were out searching for any new details that would lead him to his father. King was down in the living room watching the hideout, and resting since he had stayed out all last night.

Allie made the bed, and then she smiled when she looked around the now spotless room. Walking over to her duffel bags, she began sorting through the clothes. She was nearly out of clean ones, and knew she would need to wash them soon.

The Joker grinned as they followed behind a small green car. He had watched his father get inside the car, after leaving a bar. It was just luck they had been across the street looking for him. He didn't have a clue he was being followed. The Joker grinned as he gave his left signal, and turned down the narrow street.

"Where is he going?" Ace ask.
"All that's down there. . . is millionaires and mob dealers." Trey said.

The Joker burrowed his brows together, and watched as the green car pulled into a very familiar house. His face went to disgust.

"Drive by slowly." He said.

Ace done as instructed, and slowed down his speed. The Joker starred out the tinted windows as he watched his father open the door of the small green car and get out. The door to the mansion opened, and outside walked Sal Maroni.

What did Jack's father have to do with Allie's?

He cringed as he thought about the two of them working together. That was the last thing he needed.

"Go back to the hideout." The Joker instructed.

The entire way back to the hideout was silent. The Joker was in deep thought though. Trying to figure out why his father would have business with Sal Maroni?

Nick Napier stepped out of the car and walked inside the mansion owned by Sal Maroni. He was desperate, and when the word spread that Maroni was looking for any information about The Joker, Nick knew it was his chance.

They were now sitting at the large circular table in Maroni's mansion. He had no clue why Maroni was after his son, but he could care less. He wanted him dead just as much as the rest of Gotham.

"So, what do you want for your information?" Maroni ask, with a smirk on his lips.
"Protection." Nick stated.
"Protection?"
"Yes-- I want protection. He's been after me for years."
"Why?" Maroni ask.

Nick sucked in a deep breath, "Because I'm his father." He said.

Sal allowed a wicked grin to appear on his mouth.

"And why is he after you?"
"Because I killed his mother." Nick stated.

Maroni raised an eyebrow, "I like you already. . . Now, let's talk." Maroni said.

The Joker walked inside his hideout, and went straight up the stairs. He gave the boys the rest of the night off. Clearly, he needed to rethink his plan. If his father was joining teams with Maroni, then he was going to have an advantage of knowledge over him. He opened the bedroom door and walked inside, slamming the door behind him. He looked over at saw Allie's eyes wide. He frowned, forgetting that his actions might startle her.

"What's wrong?" She ask softly, the voice of an angel.
"Nothing." He muttered, walking into the bathroom and locking the door behind him.

Allie placed the book she had been reading down on the night stand and then got up from the bed. She chewed on her bottom lip as she debated on if she should knock on the door or not. Jack was clearly upset. But about what? Had he found his father?

Just as she was about to knock on the door, it opened. Jack came out with his Joker make-up off his face.

"What happened?" She ask softly.
"Nothing, princess."
"Jack."

He groaned, "Just, don't ask me today, okay?" He said.

He didn't want to talk about it today. He pulled his shirt over his head, and walked over to the bed and fell down into the soft mattress. He had a long day, and all he wanted was to put it behind him. He didn't want to worry about Maroni, or his father, or anything else. Right now, all he wanted to do was forget the world around him.

He felt the mattress sinking beside him, and he looked over and smiled softly at Allie.

"I'm sorry. . . I'm in a bad mood today."
"It's okay."
"No, it's not. I shouldn't be an asshole to you."

She laughed, "Since when did the all mighty Joker become such a softie?" She ask.

He rolled his eyes, and buried his face in the pillow.

She giggled, "I was joking."
"I am going soft though." He mumbled.

He rolled over on his back and allowed her to scoot closer to him. He tangled his fingers through her hair and laughed.

"What are you laughing at?" She ask.
"I kind of like it though." He admitted.
"Like what?" She ask.
"I enjoy being like this with you-- I don't have to pretend to be something I'm not."

She smiled, "I can be that way with you too."

He sucked in a deep breath, "Allie, I. . . uhm, I. . I... l-l-love you." He said.

Allie was completely caught off guard by what he had just said. She looked into his brown eyes.

"Really?" She ask softly.

Jack groaned, and shoved her off. This wasn't the response he wanted. He knew it was too soon to tell her. He started mumbling something as he raised up off the bed and made his way out of the room quickly, leaving Allie there confused, still trying to register what just happened.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image