Spencer's Summer Spirit

one.

Spencer stared out of his window with a frown on his face, because, really, rain in the summer? He blamed Global warming, blamed all of those people who wouldn't just listen to Al Gore, blamed all of those smoke belchers, and blamed all of those people who used too much hairspray.

He sighed as he watched those annoying little drops of water fall from the sky and created a song of continuous drip, drop as it hit the ground.

He wouldn't have minded if it rained any other day, but it was just that he was supposed to head to the beach with his friends. And, just as he was about to leave his house, a droplet of water fell on his windshield. And then another one did, and another; soon, his whole windshield was full of those and he was surrounded by the sound of rain falling. He cursed and he yelled, but his efforts would not change the course of mother nature's will. And so he was forced to trudge back into his house and wait there until the rain let up.

He looked over his shoulder as his phone rang. He stood up and picked up the phone.

"Hello?" he answered glumly, not even trying to hide the fact that he was so depressed about the rain.

"Spin, it's Ry. Where are you? We're all waiting here."

"Dude, are you guys blind or something? It's raining."

"So? Just come here, okay?"

"Yeah, fine, okay."

He hung up and grabbed his bag from the bed and made his way out of his house for the second time that day. He rushed into his car and drove off for the beach.

He glanced up at the dark gray sky and immediately thought that there was no way this rain was going to go away in a matter of seconds. He wondered what his friends were up to at the beach, in the rain.

Soon enough, he pulled up at the parking lot of the beach and got out with his umbrella, slinging his bag over one shoulder. He locked the car and went over to the beach, where he could already see a few people from a distance.

He stopped dead in his tracks a couple of feet away from where his friends were as he watched them dancing about and singing some song Spencer's sure he's heard before, but can't quite place the name.

Idiots.

He dragged his feet over to them and dropped his bag on the rainbow colored mat.

"Spencer, you made it!" Jon exclaimed, stopping the dance routine that had been going on for God knows how long.

Brendon and Ryan looked over at him and, immediately after they did so, their faces, peppered with rain water, took an a look of glee.

"You guys are idiots, you know that?" he told them over the roar of the falling rain.

"C'mon, Spin, you can't possibly tell me that you've never wanted to dance in the rain," Ryan smirked, crossing his thin arms over his chest.

"I've never wanted to dance in the rain," he lied, but didn't let it show. "Especially when it's not really supposed to!"

"You lie!" Brendon yelled, laughing soon after. "C'mon, dance with us."

Hands grabbed at him and forced him to move with the song. He tried to pull away and resist as much as he could but it was fruitless.

"Okay, okay! I'll dance. Now get your hands off me."

His three friends grinned and backed away from him, resuming their dance, faithful that Spencer would be true to his word. And he was - albeit hesitantly; he began to sway his hips and move his body.

Soon, all annoyances and anger was forgotten and Spencer began to enjoy this not so sunny summer day dancing in the rain with his friends. They went on dancing, smiles on their faces.

"Hey, it stopped raining."

Everyone stopped and looked around them. It was true; the sea was a calm and flat surface, undisturbed by the falling rain, the clouds in the sky began to lighten, the dark, ominous clouds slowly dissipating, and the sun, sorely missed, began to shine through the clouds and lit up the whole beach in a glorious orange.

"There's the sun you've been waiting for, Spencer," Jon laughed, before heading over to the iPod dock encased in a plastic bag and turned the music off.

"Yeah."

"So... who wants to swim?" Brendon asked, already making his way closer to the shore.

"Loser's a Spencer!" Jon yelled, already running past Brendon, who laughed and ran after him.

Spencer smiled, despite the joke within the insult, and shook his head.

"Hey, you gonna join us, or are you going to start sulking again because the rain's gone?"

He looked up and saw Ryan smiling at him.

"You can never really expect anything when it comes to summer, huh?"

"I guess not," he shrugged. "Summer's just a season of surprises - just like you."

"Huh?"

"I mean, where'd those dance moves come from, Spin?" Ryan laughed shoving him playfully on the shoulder.

"Shut up, Ryan!" Spencer yelled, making a grab for the older one's shoulder, but missed. He ended up having to chase Ryan right into the water where a water fight ensued.

They spent the rest of the day at the beach, making sand castles, collecting sea shells, and taking pictures of whatever they could.

Spencer will always remember this day - when the sun came out to shine on them, after they disobeyed their parents' rule about dancing in the rain.

"It'll make you get sick," they always said, but it didn't matter, because they had fun and they made it through the depressing rain, with a little help of friends, dancing, and summer spirit.

End