My Mutated Romance

Chapter One

"Damn it!" shouted Frank as the van he was driving came to a grinding halt.

"What's the matter?" came Ray's shout from the back. He leaned forward from his seat behind the front passenger, where Mikey sat.

"I don't know, dude, the engine just cut itself off," Frank groaned.

"Well," said Bob. "Let's see what the problem is."

The five guys tumbled out of the vehicle and made their way to the engine. Frank popped the hood and took a peek inside.

"Aw, hell," he muttered. "Water pump blew itself out. Overheated."

"Anything we can do to fix it?" asked Mikey.

"Well," said Ray. "We'll just have to let it cool down first. Then we'll try to fill it with some water and pray it'll get us somehwere where we can get it fixed."

"Do you think it'll hold out that long?" Bob asked, looking skeptically up and down the deserted road they were on. "This highway isn't used much anymore. Plus, we're in the middle of the woods. The next service place may not be for miles."

"It's all we can do, man," Frank said. The others groaned.

It was at that moment that Gerard began to scream.

* * * * *

Mikey, Ray, Bob and Frank watched in horror as Gerard fell to his knees screaming. Gerard didn't even see his brother run to his side.

All he could focus on was the pain in his shoulder blades. He began to claw at his shirt, trying desperately to rip it off his back.

He screamed again as a leathery black wing tore its way through the left side of his back.

By the time the right wing emerged, blackness was threatening to overwhelm him. He held on for one final scream.

And then blessed darkness sank in, and there was no pain