My Mutated Romance

Chapter Four

"Holy shit, Ray!" Frank yelped again. "Lay down! Somebody get him off his feet! Help him!"

"What the hell?" Ray said as Mikey began to push him toward the examining table. "I'm fine, it's just a scratch."

"Uh, Ray," Bob said hesitantly. "I can see bone there, dude." Even Gerard was on his feet, coming to help, his own problems forgotten for the moment.

But before Ray could even panic, the large gash in his head began to close up before their eyes. Their jaws dropped as they watched his skull mend the slight fracture and then as the skin closed up over the wound. A moment later, the only evidence that he'd been injured at all was the streak of now-drying blood across his face.

Ray put his hand up to his head. "Oh, ha ha, Bob, very funny. I can't even feel a little cut!"

"You didn't feel that?" Xavier asked, looking puzzled.

"Well, I felt myself hit the table. It hurt - bad," Ray said, still rubbing his head. "But now it seems okay. It doesn't even hurt." He winced as his fingers touched the spot where the fracture had been. "Well, maybe it's a little sore," he admitted grudgingly.

"Ray, you had a gash the size of my palm in your head!" exclaimed Frank. "And your skull was cracked. Literally cracked, I could see it!"

Ray looked at his friends' incredulous faces and said, "You guys are serious, aren't you?"

"Jesus," muttered Gerard. "You can stand there and stare at me with fucking wings coming out of my back, but you can't believe that your own head healed up by itself. You moron!"

Mikey rounded on Dr. Grey and Xavier. "Just what the hell is going on here?"

"As we told you," Dr. Grey said patiently, handing Ray a wet cloth to clean his face. "Your brother, and now it seems your friend as well, are mutants."

"Their mutations are manifesting extremely late, though, I must say," said Xavier. "Generally we see this sort of thing happening during adolescence."

"So what, I'm friggin' Batboy?" exclaimed Gerard.

"You're not the first mutant to come to us with wings." Xavier glanced at Dr. Grey. "Perhaps you should meet the rest of the team."