My Mutated Romance

Chapter Five

The five guys were led to a small elevator at the end of a metallic hallway. Soon, they were surprised to find themselves walking through the hallways of what looked to be an elegant mansion. Confusion and curiosity mingled on their faces as their eyes drank in their surroundings.

They were shown into a luxurious office with giant bay windows behind a rich mahogany desk. The professor wheeled himself behind it and motioned for the guys make themselves comfortable on the sofas. Gerard, still not entirely sure of how to function with his wings, opted to stand.

A moment later, several people filed into the room; a man with ruby red sunglasses, a beautiful black woman with long, snow-white hair, and a gruff-looking man in a leather jacket, smoking a cigar. The guys were particularly taken aback by the appearance of a blue-furred man in a tasteful three-piece suit. Gerard's attention was grabbed by a tall blond man with white-feathered wings.

"Gentlemen, let me introduce you to our team. Meet Scott Summers, also called Cyclops," he said, motioning to the man in the glasses. "And Ororo Munroe, also called Storm." The white haired woman smiled at them.

"This," he continued, motioned towards the blue-furred man, "is Dr. Henry McCoy, also called Beast."

"Only on my off days," the gentleman chuckled.

Xavier smiled at him and turned toward the man with the angelic wings. "This is Warren Worthington, also called Angel. And, finally, we have Logan, also called Wolverine." The cigar-smoking man nodded and grunted at them.

For a moment, there was silence. Then Bob spoke up.

"Look, as delightful as it is to meet all of you... We're still a little unsure as to what the hell is going on." His friends nodded.

"You've been brought here because of the incident on the highway," Xavier said, gesturing toward Gerard. "Your friend's mutant manifestation was so extreme that it was sensed from miles away. I sent my team for you all immediately."

"And just how did you 'sense' this?" asked Mikey suspiciously.

"I'll get into that later," Xavier answered. "Suffice it to say that my own mutation has given me an acute sense of perception."

"And what about me?" Ray asked. "Did you know this was going to happen to me, too?" He held up his hands and showed them the tiny sparks that crackled from his fingertips.

Xavier sighed. "No, I'm sorry to say that I did not perceive your mutation until it was right upon you. Your heightened distress in the medical lab must have triggered its manifestation."

"So exactly what is this place?" asked Frank curiously.

"As I said before, this is a school for gifted children. Mutants." Xavier gazed deeply into each of their faces, then continued. "Most of the students are runaways or orphans who had no where else to turn. This is a place where they can feel safe, and fit in with their peers."

This statement struck a chord with the five friends. Having been outcasts themselves for most of their lives, they began to see the need for a place such as this.

"So we can stay here for a while?" Gerard asked hesitantly.

"As long as you need," Xavier said, smiling at him.

"Even us?" frank asked, motioning toward Mikey, Bob and himself.

"Well," said the woman called Storm. "I don't see how we could break up such a handsome set of boys, do you, Jean?"

Jean grinned at her friend and nodded. "No, not at all."

Smiling at his proteges, Xavier wheeled himself from behind his desk and said, "Well, then, shall we show these gentlement to their rooms?"