Family Ghosts

Chapter Five

A few moments later, Mina returned from the kitchen carrying a smaller tray. She was followed by a shorter girl with red hair and blue eyes, carrying a bottle of wine. The two were like night and day.

"Ah, lads," said Hamish as the girls set their loads down and took their seats at the table. "This is me youngest daughter, Lucy. Lucy, dear, these are Misters Gerard and Mikey Way."

"Hello!" she said brightly. "We're so glad to have you here, sirs. Mina and I always wondered if we'd ever meet part of your family. It certainly is a pleasure." Her accent was every bit as thick as her father's.

Mikey grinned. "We never even knew about this place until our dad got your father's letter. It's amazing to find out that our family built all this, right Gee?" He turned to his brother.

Gerard merely nodded feebly and sipped at his water, his eyes darting towards Mina every few seconds. Mikey frowned a bit. He'd never seen Gerard act this way before.

"So what do you two lads do?" Hamish said as he and the girls began to serve the food.

"Well," said Mikey, grinning, "we're in a band. I play the bass guitar."

"I sing," mumbled Gerard, turning a bit red.

What is with him tonight? wondered Mikey.

"Ah, that's nice," said Hamish. "Do you get to play very often? Make yourselves some money?"

It was all Mikey could do to keep from laughing. "Yes sir, we get quite a few gigs," he said, managing to keep a straight face.

"Oh, well done, lads, well done!" Hamish grinned at them. "Got yourselves a fan or two yet?"

"Oh, one or two, yes sir." Mikey was highly enjoying himself. He glanced at his brother; even Gerard was beginning to snicker. It was refreshing to find a small corner of the world where no one had heard of them.

"Well, that's wonderful, lads," Hamish said. Both girls nodded. "We certainly hope for the best for your band."

"Thank you, sir," answered the brothers.

Gerard cleared his throat. "So, Hamish, now that we're no longer in 'mixed company,' can you tell us what kind of problem you're having here? How can we help?" His voice cracked a bit, and he avoided eye contact with the dark-haired daughter.

Hamish and both of his daughters winced a bit. "Well, Gerard, it's hard to explain."

"You'll surely think us foolish, Mr. Way," blurted out Lucy. "Superstitious, even."

"Now, Lucy," said Hamish gently. "Don't get ahead of yourself."

"Look," said Mikey, feeling confused. "Maybe you'd better start from the beginning.

"Well, again, sir, it's hard to explain," Hamish said. He took a swig of wine. "You see, about four months ago, strange things started to happen around the estate."

"Strange things?" repeated Gerard.

"Aye," answered Mina. "At first it was just a few things out of place. A candlestick on the wrong table, a chair in the wrong room..."

"Then we started hearing things, sir," Lucy said, looking embarrassed.

"What kind of things?" Mikey asked.

"Voices in empty hallways. Whispers. Footsteps at night." Mina shivered.

"Things falling of their own accord. Faucets turning on and running water by themselves. It's been very strange indeed, sirs," Hamish said.

"So..." Gerard blinked. "We're talking ghosts here?"

Mina hung her head and looked embarrassed. "I suppose you'd call it that, Gerard, yes." His stomach flip-flopped at her mention of his name, and he felt himself redden even more.

"You see, I told you they'd think us foolish!" Lucy wailed.

"No, no," said Gerard quickly. "It's not that I don't believe you, it's just... Why us? I mean, how could we help? We're musicians, not ghostbusters."

"Yeah," said Mikey. "Isn't there someone in the local towns who would be better suited for this?"

"Ah, sir, the people in the local village..." Hamish paused. "Well, they haven't been the most helpful so far, sir."

"Most think we're crazy," Mina said. "The others are just plain scared, what with the stories and all?"

"Stories?" Gerard looked at her warily. For the second time in the evening, he looked into her eyes and felt tongue-tied.

"Aye, sir. There are stories about some of your ancestors. A family. Ewan MacWhae and his wife Maeva, and their little son, William. 'Twas back in the late 1700's. Around the time of your American Revolution.

"Ewan and Maeva had been wanting a child for years. They'd had two die at birth. Then came William. His parents' pride and joy. His mother called him Sweet William, and they all seemed happy.

"Then one day, little William just... Disappeared. They and the servants - our own ancestors, sir - searched all the castle and all the grounds. Never found him. The about two years later, Maeva disappeared as well.

"Never found hide nor hair of either of them."