Family Ghosts

Chapter Nine

True to his word, that night, Gerard was stubbornly camped out beside the doorway in Mikey's bedroom. Despite his brother's protests, the singer was determined to get to the bottom of the strange happenings of the night before.

Armed with a flashlight, a canister of salt, a digital camera and a mug of coffee, Gerard hunkered down against the wall so that he could crack the door open and peer out if he needed to.

"What's the the salt, Gee?" Mikey asked from his spot on his bed. He had long since given up on the book he was trying to read.

"It's a natural purifier," Gerard answered matter-of-factly. "Keeps ghosts at bay. At least, that's what they use on that 'Supernatural' TV show."

Mikey stared at him incredulously for a moment, then shook his head. "So you have no real clue as to what you're doing, huh?"

"Oh, yeah, Mike, I do this all the time," Gerard replied snidely. "Our tour bus is overflowing with ghosts at any given moment, I just wait to bust them until you guys go to sleep."

"So that's what all the racket is," Mikey said, going back to his book. "At least now I'll know what to tell Ray the next time he wakes up in the middle of the night bitching about the noise."

Gerard rolled his eyes and turned his attention back to the door.

"And what about the camera, genius?" Mikey asked. "I didn't think ghosts could be photographed."

"Little brother, don't believe everything you see on Beetlejuice," Gerard murmured.

With another sigh, Mikey closed his book and settled down to go to sleep. Placing his glasses on the nightstand, he left the bedside lamp on for Gerard's sake. There was no sense in his brother sitting in the dark.

As Mikey dozed off, Gerard sat in utter silence, focusing all of his concentration on the door, and the hallway beyond. For an hour he sat this way, draining his coffee mug slowly. Soon enough, the caffeine began to wear off, leaving him drowsy.

Just as he was about to give up and call it a night, he heard something outside the door. He froze immediately and pressed his ear against the door.

Someone was walking toward the room!