Nature's Child

Outside

Alice laughed in the spring sunlight as her slippered feet tripped lightly over the grass. She whirled in delight and smiled at Gail.

"Thank you Doctor Steel. This is so much better than the clinic."

Gail could not help but smile back. The change in Alice when she was out of doors was amazing. In the last three weeks she felt she had really started to make some headway with Alice. This was the first time they had come out without an orderly and Gail was not worried in the slightest. Alice's eyes were bright and clear and the light sedative seemed to be keeping her calm and settled.

"It's nice seeing you 'in your element' so to speak Alice. Where would you like to go today? As if I didn't know."

Alice smiled and pointed into the woods. "Perhaps we could go to the stream again? I liked it there." Gail nodded, and they set off. As they walked, Gail chatted with Alice about this and that, careful not to touch on any dangerous topics. Alice was in a very delicate balance right now. Gail had learned a little more about Alice's early life, but there were still some very large gaps.

Eventually they reached the little stream and Alice's favourite spot. Gail had to admit that this was a lovely place. It was hard to believe they were just a few hundred yards from the clinic. Everything was so peaceful and beautiful here. Alice sat down on a fallen tree and tucked her feet up, wrapping her arms around her knees. Following her lead, Gail took off her coat and sat down on it.

"Dr Steel?"

"Yes Alice?"

"It's nice here.

"Yes Alice."

"It feels like a fairy place."

Gail thought for a moment. Alice's fascination with fairies was an interesting facet of her psychosis. It was an avenue she had not had a chance to fully explore, perhaps now was the time.

"Tell me about the fairies Alice."

"What's to tell? They live in the places that we haven't spoiled, like this wood. I feel close to them here."

"Have you ever seen them Alice?"

Alice kicked off her slippers and hopped down from the tree trunk.
"When I was little I think I used to see them a lot, but not for a very long time. Except just that once, when I ran away. Maybe we will see them today."

Gail frowned. "What makes you say that?"

Alice grinned and spun around on the grass. "Today's a special day. It's the vernal equinox. That's a special day for fairies; it's when the world starts to grow new life. Changes happen, birth, death and renewal."

"Is that something your father told you?" Gail wondered where this was going. Alice seemed much more eloquent than usual. Gail liked the change, but it was also a little unnerving.
Alice was still spinning slow circles; her bare feet were stained green. "No, I think it's something my mother taught me, when I was little."

Gail became excited. Alice had rarely mentioned her mother except in reference to her life after she had gone.

"Where were you when she told you the story Alice?

Alice frowned and stopped twirling. "The woods behind the house I think. I can't remember, it was a long time ago."

"Alice, do you remember our lessons on visualisation?"

The young girl sat down on the grass. She tilted her head and smiled at Gail. "Course I do, I close my eyes and make pictures in my head. It's fun!"

"Alice, I would like you to try and visualise where you were when you your mother told you this story."

Alice looked confused. "Why Dr Steel?"

Gail moved over to Alice and knelt in front of her. She took Alice's delicate hands in hers and looked into her eyes.

"I think if I can learn a little more about you and your mother, it will help me understand what is going on in your mind."

Alice blinked. "I told you Dr Steel. I am all better now. Being out here makes me better. Can't you tell?"

Gail smiled, trying to reassure the girl and keep her from becoming defensive. "I can see you are much happier here and I want to understand why. I think your relationship with your mother is important somehow." She spoke softly, confidently. Trying to impress upon Alice how important this was, without applying pressure. She was pleased when Alice nodded.

"Okay, I can do that. What do you want me to do?"

Gail smiled. "Just relax. Make yourself comfortable." The pair settled themselves down cross legged on the grass facing each other. They held each other's hands and Gail ran through some breathing exercises with Alice to calm her. Then she began talking to he girl in a low voice inducing a light trance state. Soon Alice's eyes slipped out of focus as her breathing steadied.

"Okay Alice, I want you to think back to a time, long ago, when your mother was with you. A happy time when you felt safe and comfortable. Are you there?"

"Yes, it's nice here."

"Okay Alice, now tell me, what can you see?"

"Trees, lots of trees, and sunshine. Mum is with me, holding my hand. I am nervous because it is my first time, but I am happy as well. Everything is moving by so quickly. I like the wind in my hair."

Gail frowned. First time? What could that mean?

"What are you doing for the first time Alice?"

"Flying!"

"Flying through the trees? How are you flying? In a plane?"

"No silly. I am flying, my wings are strong enough. Strong enough for a short flight."

Gail struggled to assimilate this information. Was Alice's freedom issue somehow intruding even on her past memories? She debated then whether to stop or let Alice explore this fantasy world her mind was creating. After a few moments she decided that continuing on might help her gain some insight.

"Okay Alice, you are flying through the forest. And your mother is with you. Can you describe her to me?"

"Oh yes, she is so beautiful. Her wings are like stained glass. Her hair is the colour of sunlight through the trees. Her eyes sparkle, and her voice is like silver bells."

"So your mother is a fairy?"

"Yes, like me! I had forgotten. Mummy told me I had to forget for a while to look after dad, but, oh! He is gone now. I can go home now!"

Before Gail's astonished eyes Alice started to glow with a soft, unearthly light. At the same moment she felt Alice's small hands begin to tingle. She felt a sick feeling in the pit of her stomach and she glanced around. She cried out in shock as she realised that she and Alice were now floating about six inches off the forest floor, they were surrounded by a nimbus of light which grew in brightness by the second. Holding onto Alice's hands for all she was worth her rational mind tried to make sense of what was happening.

"Alice..what...?"

"Shh. Don't worry Doctor Steel it's alright. You have freed me. I was stuck in that shape for so long that I had forgotten what I am. Now I can go home. But we have to wait first, just a little while longer."

"Wait? What for?"

"Someone's coming, look." Alice turned her head and Gail followed her gaze. From the forest, motes of light were approaching. A few at first, then dozens. As they got closer she could see that each one was a tiny winged person, none over a few inches in height. They flew with beautiful translucent wings which were panelled in rainbow colours. Gail could not help but grin in delight. They were so beautiful. As they approached they spun and danced in mid air, forming a circle around the pair. Faster and faster they whirled and spun until Gail could hardly make out one from another. She felt Alice's hands release hers, and Gail landed back on the soft ground with a gentle bump. She scrambled backwards under the ring of fairies her mouth agape.

Alice was suspended in mid air, her arms outstretched, laughing and giggling. Her form grew brighter for a moment and then she began to shrink, as she shrank down her glow intensified. There was a last bright flash as Alice's transformation reached its conclusion. The circle of dancers slowed, and then stopped. For a moment Gail could not see Alice as the other fairies engulfed her, hugging and laughing. After a few moments, Alice emerged once again and moved slowly towards Gail accompanied by another fairy.

As the pair approached Gail felt tears forming in her eyes. She let out a small sob as she saw Alice's pretty face in miniature. And next to her, another face, so alike they could have been sisters. Alice the fairy spoke and her voice was like tiny silver bells.

"Dr Steel, thank you so much for helping me. If not for you I think I would have died in there. I have to go now, but before I do..." She indicated the other fairy, the fairy that shared so many features of her face.

"I wanted you to meet my mother."

Gail smiled, and Alice's mother darted forwards. Her tiny fingers stroked Gail's hair for a moment. In her mind she seemed to hear a small, musical voice.

"Thank you."

Alice's mother fluttered back to the throng leaving Gail with her erstwhile patient.
Gail wiped tears from her face.

"Alice. I don't know what to say, what to think."

Alice began to float back towards her mother. The fairies had started to leave in groups of twos and three. Alice glanced back one last time. “Dr Steel... Gail. "All you need to do is believe."

Gail sat in the forest for what seemed like an eternity. Her thoughts dancing in a thousand directions. It seemed that she could still feel the magic in the air, in every leaf and plant and tree. She was broke from her reverie by the insistent beep of her pager. She thumbed the acknowledge button and rose. She began to set off but stopped in her tracks.

“Damn! How am I going to explain this to Mark? Oh well, at least Alice’s room will be free. I might be needing it!”

Laughing to herself, Gail set off once more for the institute, glorying in the late afternoon sun and hanging on as long as she could to that last little bit of magic in the air.