My Way Home Is Through You

Don't Speak

Frank Iero looked up from his book when Ray came stumbling back into the tour bus. Frank was disturbed to see how shaken Ray seemed. Gerard had mentioned something about Ray going to see his lawyer, but Frank couldn't imagine what Beatty could have had to tell Ray that would upset him this much.

"Ray?" he called. Ray just continued through the living area. "Ray, are you okay?"

"Fine," mumbled Ray through clenched teeth.

Frank was up in a flash and hot on Ray's heels, but when he reached out for his bandmate's arm, he was shocked to have it torn roughly from his grasp.

"No, Frank," growled Ray. "Just leave me alone." His heart sank as he watched his friend's face fill with concern. "Look, I'll talk to you guys in a little while... There's something I need to tell you all. But give me some time to think first, okay?"

Frank nodded and took a step back as Ray slid into his bunk and closed the curtain.

* * * * *

By the time Ray emerged, all four of his bandmates had gathered in the kitchenette, waiting for him. He knew they were there - he'd been listening to their hushed murmurs for more than an hour now. They looked expectantly up at him as they came to stand before them.

With a deep sigh, he eased himself slowly into the booth. "You guys remember my old girlfriend Jenna, right?" His voice was steady, but low. Frank and Gerard nodded.

"The sweet one," Mikey said with a smile. "Yeah, I liked her."

"What's up, Ray?" Bob asked, his eyes full of concern.

"She died last week," Ray said simply. "She lost control of her car in the rain and went into a tree."

Mikey and Frank looked crestfallen, and Gerard placed his hand on Ray's shoulder. They all knew how he had cared for Jenna.

"Oh man, Ray-" Bob began.

"No, there's more," Ray said abruptly. "Something that I probably would have never known if this..." He shook his head as his face clouded with anger for an instant.

"I have a daughter."

Gerard was the first to speak. "You... What?" He stared at Ray unbelievingly. "Is this some sort of prank?" A swift kick to the shin by Frank quickly silenced him.

"No, this isn't a prank!" Ray said, his voice rising angrily. "I have a four-year-old fucking daughter, and I never knew! My girlfriend was pregnant with my child when we broke up and she never even told me!" Mikey buried his face in his hands at his friend's anguish.

"I'm sorry, dude," Gerard said quietly. "I didn't mean-"

"I know, Gee, I know." Ray rubbed his eyes as though he had a headache. "It's just..."

"Well, wait," Bob said slowly. "I hate to say this, but come on, man. Do you know for certain this kid is yours? Aren't you going to at least have some sort of DNA test done to be sure?"

"I haven't even met this girl yet," Ray sighed. "And yeah, I guess it would be smart to do a test. Beatty seemed to think so too, that's why he scheduled one for later today, even. But I know - knew Jenna, guys. She wouldn't have put my name on those documents if it weren't true."

An awkward silence followed.

"So," Frank spoke finally. "Where is this little girl now?"

"Probably at the social offices." Ray shook his head. "Poor kid's probably been in an office all day."

"And this appontment for a test is this afternoon?" Gerard asked.

"Four o'clock," Ray replied. He stood up and started to head back to his bunk.

"Hey, Ray," Mikey called after him. "No matter what happens, we're behind you, dude."

Ray nodded, and slid back into his bunk, leaving the others in silence once more.