My Way Home Is Through You

Wind of Change

Ray thanked God that the drive from the doctor's office to the social services office was a good twenty minutes. The moment he got into his car he grabbed his cell phone and dialed Frank. He only prayed that his friend would pick up.

"Hey, man, what's up?" Frank answered. "You take the test yet?"

"Yeah," Ray said. "Came up positive."

"You don't sound surprised."

"I'm really not, to be honest."

"You doing okay, dude?"

"Yeah, actually, I think so," said Ray. He smiled. "I'm actually doing pretty good."

"How about the kid?" Frank asked. "What's her name?"

"Anna," Ray murmured. "I think she's okay. I mean, she's four, so I don't know how much of this she really understands."

"Kids are smart, Ray," Frank said. "She'll be okay."

"Yeah, I hope so. Hey, we're going to be here in the city a few days before we finish up the tour and head back home, right?"

"Well, we've only got one more show tomorrow night, you know that," Frank said. "I think we're staying through the next night before we head back, though, yeah. Why?"

"Do me a favor," Ray sighed. "Call a hotel for me. I don't really care which one, just close enough to the venue for me to be able to get there quickly."

"Want me to get you a room?" Frank asked.

"Yeah, please," Ray said, feeling awkward again. "I mean, no offense, but that bus is a rat trap, we live like fucking animals, man. I can't-"

"I know, dude," said Frank gently. "It's cool, I understand. Besides, all five of us in one little bus might be a bit much for her at first," he chuckled.

Ray laughed. "Thanks, man. I'll be back in probably another hour. Maybe less. I'll bring her to the bus before we head to the hotel."

"Okay, dude, we'll be here," Frank said. "We'll even try to clean up some before you get in!"

Ray shook his head and grinned as he hung up the phone and pulled into the office's parking lot. He watched Miss Reming get out of the car and begin to fumble with something in the back seat. It took him a moment to realize what she was doing.

Oh, shit! he thought, feeling stupid. A car seat! He hadn't thought about that. Anna was definitely still little enough to need one of those. Just how was he going to get her home without one? Would they loan him one? Where the hell would he go to buy one? He began to feel apprehensive again.

Willing himself to move, he walked over to the other car and hung back a bit as Miss Reming helped Anna out of the car. The little girl walked timidly over to him and, after a moment's hesitation, held her hand out to him. He smiled warmly back down at her, and he gently took her tiny hand in his as they followed Miss Reming into the building.