Status: slowly progressing

Paradise Lost

Puppy

I woke up the next morning and Jay was gone. As I pried my eyes open to observe the room, I felt something on my forehead. I laughed, pulling the sticky note off of my head and reading it.

“Nat
Downstairs calling dog breeders. Get ready and come down.”

There was a heart drawn at the bottom, beside his signature. I smiled and rolled over, trying to decide if I really wanted to leave my warm spot in bed. Groaning, I stood up, getting myself excited to go searching for a dog.

“Hey” Jay said as I walked into the living room in a fresh pair of shorts and tank top with one of Jay’s hoodies on.

“So, any finds?” I asked, referring to the list of numbers he had in front of him.

“Actually, I talked to breeders and I have there numbers, but I’m not sure I want any of the little prissy dogs that they sale. I kind of want to check the animal shelter or somewhere first.”

“Aw, Jay! I agree. Let’s rescue a doggy.”

“I’ll grab the keys.”

We hopped into the car, and Jay backed out of the driveway. I smiled as he took his hand off of the gear shift and placed it into mine.
The animal shelter was only about fifteen minutes away, and when we got there a woman greeted us inside. We told her that we were looking to adopt a dog and she took us to a room full of dog crates with various sleeping dogs inside. I stopped at one with a small, fluffy black dog in it.

“Do you know what type of dog this is?” I asked the woman, watching the dog open its eyes and look up at me.

“Part chow, but we aren’t sure right now. She’s around ten weeks old. No tags on her and she was found wandering around Franklin Street. Vets think that she may have some black lab in her.”

“Can I see her, please?”

“Of course.”

As the woman opened the door on the cage, Jay and I sat down on the ground, beckoning her to us. She looked around before leaping our way, licking Jay’s face. I giggled when she began to lick under my chin and I scratched behind her ears. This was the dog that I wanted.

I smiled as I sat on the couch and watched Jay try to train our new dog, Bandit. Currently, he was sitting on the floor with a can of treats trying to get her to sit.

“Nat, I fucking give up. This dog will just not sit.”

“Watch and learn, baby.” I said, getting up off of the couch, taking a treat and standing over Bandit.

I held the treat above her head and moved it back, forcing her to sit. As she did this, I said ‘sit’ and gave her a treat. I did this a few more times and then handed the can back to Jay, telling him to keep doing that. I laughed as I walked back to the couch, picking my book back up, and hearing Jay mumble to the dog about how I thought I knew everything.

Before I knew it, I had drifted to sleep and when I woke back up I was in our bed upstairs with Jay and Bandit beside me. I smiled and kissed Jay, petting the dog’s head.

“Hey.” Jay mumbled before moving even closer to me and wrapping an arm around my waist.

“How long have we been out?”

“A few hours. I think the guys are coming over at four to see Bandit.”

“Shit,” I said, sitting up, “It’s three thirty.”

“Since when have they cared if the house is clean. Hell, I really don’t think they care if we are even awake.”

“I know, but still…”

“Just stay in bed, Nat.”

Neither of us went back to sleep, but we did lay in bed for another half an hour before Dillon practically busted out front door down trying to get inside. When all of the guys, Emily and Scarlet were inside, we heard them all stampeding for mine and Jay’s door.

“Fuck.” I laughed, sitting up.

The bedroom door burst open and Bandit was up and running. She licked everyone and then jumped back up on the bed with me and Jay. Jay picked her up and cradled her, laughing as she licked his nose.

“Shit, that dog’s already spoiled.” George said from the doorway.

“I know, man. They haven’t even had the damn dog for a week and already Jay treats it better than me.” Aron laughed, patting his legs to call the dog to him.

The rest of the day was spent downstairs in the living room passing Bandit back and forth so that everyone got a chance to play with her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay!