On Top of the World

California.

He watched as she lit up yet another cigarette with shaking hands. He’d been doing this for a while now, letting her call him crying and rushing over to pick her up. It would always be her ‘unfair parents’ or her ‘horrible friends’. Was he one of those friends?

He turned on the radio trying to thin the tension that had formed in the car, but he kept it low still expecting an outbreak. She wasn’t crying this time though, something was different, she was only shaking. The song California came over the radio, it was almost half way through… he knew she adored this song and she knew he knew.

We could leave this town if only for the weather, I could drive and you could sleep, while the radio collides to the sound of our heartbeats…

He turned down the radio more an idea coming to mind. “Hey, Jamie… I’ve got an idea.” He watched her as she turned her eyes towards him instead of staring out the window as she’d been for the past minutes in which he’d been driving her around the small town.

“Like what?” She asked, her voice sounded small.

“We’ll leave for California…” He said getting more excited with each word. “Your parents won’t know, we’ll turn off your phone, no friends can bother you…” ‘Except me’ But he didn’t find the need to add that to his statement. When she kept quiet he started to talk again. “You can get the sleep you always want. It’ll be a big town, and escape from all of this small stuff that I know you hate…” He stopped himself.

To his surprise she laughed. “You know me too well Ryan.” She looked at him with a smile that lit up her eyes and he mirrored her almost perfectly.

As he promised he drove and watched her sleep only feet away while he kept himself awake with quiet music. He turned off his own phone when it had started vibrating, ‘Why not?’ and by the morning they had made it into California. Ryan was beat, driving around in circles and only slightly lost he found a rest stop where he could park his small silver car and sleep himself.

He woke up to quiet laughter and something touching his face. He lifted his hand to move it away. ‘Leave me alone, I’m tired.’ A dream came to mind… just him and Jamie.

“Wake up Ryan… did you know you talked in your sleep?” She laughed again and he sat up almost hitting his head on the low ceiling. He looked at her with sleep still in his eyes. Her fair hair was messy and in her face and her soft mouth was in a small, kind smile. Her blue eyes were dancing happily. “Morning sleepy head.” She said before poking him again and laughing.

“Morning Jamie.” He said while yawning. He moved his seat so it was right before starting the car again. “Where should we go?” He asked before wiping his eyes.

“Can we stay here?” She asked before making a face. “Wherever here is…”

“We’re in California. Just off the interstate.” He mumbled still slightly tired.

“Switch me seats. I can see you’re tired.” She said before opening her own door, sighing he got out too and went to the passenger door. He sat there and was staring out the window when something under his seat started to vibrate. Leaning under his seat he pulled out her small phone and flipped it open to see a full text inbox. He shook his head and turned it off. “My parents are mad aren’t they.” It wasn’t a question.

“I don’t know I didn’t look. It’s off, it doesn’t matter.” He said before leaning the chair back a bit.

“What about when I go home? They won’t act kindly you know.” She said as her nose scrunched up. He watched as she pulled out her pack of cigarettes. Pulling one out and a lighter she lit it and took a long drag.

“You know that’s bad for you?” He mumbled before closing his eyes. He didn’t want to think about how she looked right now. She was certainly stressed out and almost fearful. She didn’t know what would happen. He wished that he could just take her away from it all for good. That’s always what he’s wanted to do.

He woke up again to the sound of laughter. He’d been dreaming again, just Jamie and him. “You should really stop talking in your sleep… I’d find it embarrassing.” She said still laughing quietly. He sat up again.

“What did I say?” He asked hesitantly. She smiled at him.

“I’ll tell ya later.” He dreaded it, because he already had a feeling that he hadn’t said anything about himself.

Jamie kept driving until a sign appeared that told them that they were close to L.A. They both looked at each other smiling. They were both jumping inside, both of their hearts were beating rapidly. He kept telling himself that everything would be great and she told herself that this is what she’s needed.

Later in the day Jamie had decided that they should both go see a new movie, one that the cinema back home wouldn’t play for another few days. Small towns were slow with things and Jamie liked things that happened fast, she’d never been one for waiting and Ryan knew that. He’d only nodded his head and crossed his fingers. He didn’t know how much longer they could go on the cash that they’d brought.

Half way through the movie she tapped on his shoulder and motioned for him to follow her. She’d made up her mind, but he had no clue. Smiling secretly to herself she pulled Ryan out of the theatre and outside.

Ryan started to go find the car but found that her hand was still wrapped around his wrist and that she was determined to stand there. She wasn’t letting him go. He was confused as he walked back towards her. “I was going to find the car.” He said quietly trying not to draw any more eyes towards them.

She said a quiet, “I know.” Smiling at him she leaned closer to him. He was surprised when she looked him in the eyes and was even more surprised when her gaze lowered to his lips where they stayed. She leaned in a little more and kissed him. Quite frankly, Ryan was shocked. “I like you too.” She said staring at him looking for any kind of a reaction.

He smiled at Jamie before moving his hand so he grabbed her hand and basically drug her for the car. He was elated; his head was in the clouds. Looking up at the sky you couldn’t see the clouds, you couldn’t see stars. Just city lights. Two dreams came true in one night. She got out of the small town setting and he got the girl he’d always wanted.

Ryan was on top of the world.
♠ ♠ ♠
I had completely forgotten about this. >.<

Oh... I had the song California by Metro Station.