Bitter Sweet

Suspect

My heels clicked against the concrete floor, my eyes focused on the box I held in my arms. The man walking beside me whistled absent-mindedly, as he led me to the room, where I would see my husband.

The man stepped in front of me, and pulled the door open, allowing me inside. I glanced up and walked over to the chair closest to the wall, setting the box down in front of me. I stared forward at the glass wall in front of me, twitching impatiently in my seat.

I perked up quickly as the seat in front of me was pulled back, and my husband filled the chair. He smiled gently, and placed his hand against the glass. I smiled sadly, and placed mine where his was, feeling the cold glass beneath my fingers. Ichiro, reached over and picked up the phone that would allow us to hear each other, and I did the same.

"How are you?" he sounded tired.

"I'm alright." I sighed. "But how are you?"

With a small chuckle he replied. "I'm fine... What did you bring me, today?"

I laughed, and opened the box in front of me, tilting it toward him so he could see inside. I had awoken three hours early, to make him cupcakes. I watched as a smile pushed over his lips and his eyes lit up brightly.

"Always thinking of me, aren't you?" he gave me a loving look.

"What else am I supposed to do, Ichiro?" I asked sadly.

He sighed, before changing the subject. "How has work been?"

"Nothing to special." I muttered, repressing the urge to tell him about the investigation. "Same as it usually is."

"That's good I suppose." he gave me a cheerful smile, his pale locks falling to the sides of his face.

The smile I fell in love with. I shivered as a chill ran down my spine, tears welling up at the corners of my eyes. I kept my face down, hiding my tears from him. He was burdened enough.

"Ichiro," I started. "You didn't do it, right?"

He gasped slightly. "Michiko, of course not. You know I couldn't.. I could never take another humans life. Especially not three."

"I'm sorry," I sobbed. "I'm just scared."

He stared back at me, with a pained expression, as tears streamed down my cheeks.

"I love you, Michiko." he whispered. "And I'll be out of here before you know it. I'll be home soon."

I opened my mouth to speak, but was interrupted as a ringing filled the concrete room. I closed my mouth, my head falling. Reaching into my purse I pressed the talk button on my cellphone, setting the other one down on the table in front of me.

"Michiko Uzawa speaking." I forced, trying not to sound as though I hadn't been crying.

"Michiko. It's Matsuda. L would like you to come in today. Do you remember where it is?" His voice erupted cheerfully from the phone.

"Uhhh. Yeah." I sighed. "When do I need to be there?"

"As soon as possible." I could here the smile in his voice.

"Alright. I'll be there shortly, Matsuda." I sighed, closing my phone.

Picking up the discarded telephone, I held it to my ear, sadly whispering that I had to leave. Ichiro nodded in understanding, placing his hand against the glass again. I reached out and let my hand resume it's place over his, as he gave me one last smile, before I stood, placing the phone back on it's hook, and taking the box over to the guard. He gave me a gentle smile, and I turned leaving the room.

I kept my head down all the way out to my car, before getting in and starting it. I placed my hands on the steering wheel, starring down at them. After a moment I looked up, and began to drive to the hotel, where I would meet L.

I still wasn't sure, if I was dreaming, or even if I had a good understanding of what was happening. I was mainly confused as to how I would be able to help in the investigation.

I pulled into the parking lot, to find Matsuda outside waiting for me. I got out of my car, and he was quickly by my side.

"Wow. You got here quick!" he smiled. "How have you been?"

"I've been alright." I watched my feet as we entered the hotel. "What about you, Matsu?"

"I've been doing well. The investigation takes up most of my time, but we found something really great!" he exclaimed as we entered the elevator.

"Yeah? What's that?" I gave him a small smile.

"Oh, well I think L wants to tell you himself. But trust me, it's really good!" he laughed, scratching the back of his neck.

"Alright." I said, following behind him, once we got to the floor.

We entered the room, and I instantly felt how tense the room was. My eyes scanned across the faces of everyone, trying my best to remember their names. I noticed immediately the grave expression on Chief Yagami's face.

"How nice of you to join us, Mrs. Uzawa." L said absently, as he again had his back facing me. "As I'm sure Matsuda has informed you, we have big news. We finally have a suspect."

"Oh, that's wonderful." I said, lacking much enthusiasm.

"Yes, it is. There just seems to be one problem." he paused, turning his head to look at me. "His name is Light Yagami. Chief Yagami's son."

I let out a gasp and looked over at Soichiro. He seemed to cringe at L's words. L turned, obliviously, eating a few pieces of pocky.

L's lack of social skills shocked me. There was something almost depressing about it. But with a second glance at him, it became a reasonable fact.

"So, why am I here?" I asked confused.

"Well, I plan to in-roll in To-Oh University, along with him," he said calmly. "and I feel that every member of the task force should be on the same page."

"But, if Light Yagami is Kira, wouldn't that be dangerous?" I blinked, surprised by his decision.

"Yes, it could be dangerous." he explained, his mouth full. "But if I understand Light as I think I do, then he will not kill me. I will also use a fake name, as a safety precaution."

I stood there silently, trying my best not to question his sanity. It wasn't my place to question such a thing. He seemed to know what he was doing.

"That is all, Mrs. Uzawa." he dismissed me, as he began to type on his computer.

"Alright." I bowed my head, and turned to the door, ready to leave, giving Soichiro a sympathetic look.

"Oh, and Mrs. Uzawa." L started and I turned back to him. "I'd like for you to check in with one of us daily."

I opened my mouth to speak, but he continued. "Just another safety precaution."

He looked at me with a very serious expression, meeting my eyes for the first time. I froze as I caught his gaze, something about it freezing me to my spot.

He turned back to his computer, and said nothing more. My gaze drifted to Matsuda's feet, before I looked up and gave him a nod, leaving the room.
♠ ♠ ♠
I drew most of my inspiration for this one from the song Light Lights Up Light.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEBBwwe93Ak
It's pretty sad. As you can see, I was the last to comment on it. =D
I'm sorry it's so boring. I need to build guys. Sorry. =/