Welcome Home

1/2

"How's the outside?" He smirked into the phone. He was always arrogant. When we went to get tattoos together he was laughing at my scrunched face, my shaking fingers, and my hesitance towards the needle. When the ink started to etch on his back, he instantly squeezed my hand, starting a two day process of my babying him. It was nothing major, as he took care of me during the countless times I became sick or hurt myself doing something stupid.

Casting a nervous look to the guards, I murmured, "Everything is in place." He nodded, staring into my eyes. I sucked on my lip slowly, trying hard not to jiggle my foot out of pure nervousness. Two years later and finally he will be able to come home. Of course, in his excitement he wasn't able to understand the rising paralyzing bile in my throat, but I wasn't going to ruin his mood. Soon the house will be filled with smoke again and I wouldn't ever complain.

"I'll be home soon, Lauren," Zacky broke into my thoughts. His green eyes lit up as if he truly believed it, despite the countless failed attempts before. "Trust me."

I was careful not to talk loudly, aware that a single gesture could set the guards off. I wanted to shatter the glass, hug him tightly and yell at him. What was he thinking pulling a prison break in the middle of the night? He could be shot at and killed and slammed back in here again.

All this nervousness over a bank robbery gone wrong.

I smiled softly. "I trust you. I just don't like orange on you."

He looked around, casting glances around him. His shrunken face looked around hauntingly before gaining back color. "Soon, babe. Soon."

Afterward, promises were made and smiles were exchanged. When the striking sun burned my eyes as I walked outside to my car, I didn't see him coming. When the shadow cast by his 6'1" frame panicked me, I swung around ready to punch the stranger's jaw in.

Chuckling deeply, Matt stopped my fist easily, hugging me tightly. I guess the boys arrived early.

"What are you doing?" Matt's hazel eyes twinkled as I opened my car door scowling. "You two are about to see each other, no need for sex."

I shook my head, punching his chest playfully. "Get on with it. Be careful. Don't be stupid either!"

Matt walked away, making the hand gesture indicating I talked too much. I smiled softly starting to back out of the lot. They were all too cocky.

I loved his friends like brothers anyways.