Living Manhattan.

36,000

36,000 feet in the air, 36,000 feet in the air, 36,000 feet in the air.
He loved saying it over and over again just because he loved hearing the sound of it. Just because it made him feel happy, just because he was living in it. And maybe that meant a lot to him because recently there wasn't really much left to live for.

He shook the thoughts out of his head, as if that might, if only for a little while, get rid of them. He fixed his eyes on the airplane window and for just one moment he didn't care that he had lost his home, for just one moment he didn't care that his father was in prison, for just one moment he didn't care that his mother wasn't there, because she never really was anyway.

It was just amazing how 36,000 feet in the air can make the entire world look that much more different. How it could make the moon look like a star that was shining just a little brighter than the others, how it could make the stars looked like they touched the ground, how it could make city lights look like big, bright dots.

It made him feel like he was on top of the world, and when you're pretty much the exact opposite, that's a pretty amazing thing to feel.

He let these thoughts drift around in his head before falling asleep, the first time he had allowed himself to sleep since he walked into the airport.

What woke him up was the insane popping going on in his left and right ear, and what kept him awake was the loud voice of the captain that was booming on the loudspeaker. Due to the fact that he had just woken up, he didn't get anything of what the captain was saying. But it didn't take a genius for someone to see that they were about to land.

Why hadn't he told Gerard yet that he was coming over? He knew the answer, but he didn't want to.

After a less-than-smooth landing on the runway, Mikey picked up from where he had left off and looked out the plastic window. Lights, lights, lights replaced the LA Palm Trees that he had seen when they took off.

36,000 feet in the air made the world look different, but this 6 hour flight made his entire life look different. That morning he had woken up to the the familiar LA Skyline, the busy streets of hollywood and the comfort of being somewhere that was home, this was not home.