The price

Confrontation

The night was chilly, but not uncomfortably so. There were still plenty of people about. Most clubs would be open another hour maybe. As I approached the Ampersand I saw the aura had grown considerably. I knew that somewhere, in the centre of that darkness, the Dark One would be sat, getting stuffed full of negative energy. I parked myself across the street and settled into wait.

In the end, I only had to wait about half an hour. I heard the trouble before I saw it. Shouting and swearing, and then all hell broke loose as a bunch of drunken yobs spill out of the club door. The bouncers had totally lost control of the situation and it was pretty much a free for all. The energy pouring off them was phenomenal. Just then, the aura ebbed, and receded back in upon itself. I knew the Docharda had had it’s fill and could feast no more. Drunk on bad vibes, it would be thinking about making an exit. I drew my glamour tight around me, masking me in a cloak of night. All but invisible, I slipped through the mob, police had arrived but that was just making things worse. Still, if I managed to find the Dark One, all this ruckus would mask our… encounter.

I slipped down the alleyway to where Ampersand’s rear exit was. I passed a couple auditioning for a porn movie up against the wall near a skip. Never one to miss an opportunity, I drew in a little of their sexual energy to top up, then I merged with the shadows, sword drawn.

A short while later, the door opened, and my adversary came into view. He was gross, in every sense of the word. My Fey senses penetrated his human façade and saw what lay beneath. A fat, bloated body, covered in bony ridges. Its face was quite like those gargoyles you get on old churches. It had mocking eyes, and a wide mouth. He had a girl on each arm, no doubt dazzled by his illusions into thinking he was Brad Pitt’s younger, more attractive brother. He was ripe with power. It oozed from him, sick and putrid. I was counting on him being sluggish. The Dark Ones end to overeat and that made them slow; I was hoping this one would be no exception. He had way more magical juice than me, but I knew how to deal with his kind. He had the brute strength, I had speed and subtlety.

He lurched past me and stopped, sniffing the air. I held my breath. Hell, I held everything! Just then, the couple behind the skip came to their energetic finale. The Docharda grinned and turned to watch. That was when I made my move, and my big mistake. I thought to take him out with one blow. Stupid really, but he had his back turned and it seemed like a gift. I raised my sword up high and brought it down hard. At the same instant, he reached over to fondle one of his floosies. I tried to adjust my aim too late. Instead of striking his neck, the blade struck into the bony plate on his shoulder, biting deep. Howling in pain and rage he spun round, wrenching the blade from my hands. His illusion dropped, and the girl fled screaming as their super-hunk turned to super-freak in a heartbeat. The Dark One’s eyes flared as his magic shredded my magical cloak. Man he was strong. The wound was deep though, his left arm was dangling uselessly at his side, and if I could just keep him busy a few minutes I might be able to wear him own. The snag was, my sword was still sticking out the back of his shoulder.

He made a grab for me and I rolled out of the way. I had to keep moving. Speed was my only advantage right now. I looked around for anything I could use as a weapon, but the alley was empty apart from rubbish. I reached pull dot my boot knife as the Docharda lumbered towards me. Beyond him, I saw the young lovers running out of the alley. No help there then. I hastily pulled together some magical shields and prepared to stand my ground. The Docharda reached up and, with a grimace, yanked out my sword. He glared at it a moment, then snarled at me.

“A Fey? So, it’s true. I’d heard there might be one of you miserable little pixies hanging around the UK. Why didn’t you do the decent thing and fade away like the rest of your pathetic kind?”

“Just stubborn I guess.” I held his gaze. Docharda are good at distraction and I aimed to keep my concentration right where it belonged.

He laughed, and flung my sword behind him as he blocked my exit, leaving me cornered in the alley.

We stood, facing off, like those guys in the spaghetti westerns. Then suddenly, he lunged, much faster than I expected. Either I was getting rusty, or this guy was a cut above the average. Darting to one side, I sliced at his good arm with my knife scoring a long scratch in his hide. He backhanded me, sending me sprawling. My nose was filled with the stink of damp cardboard, dirt and stale urine. I licked my top lip and tasted blood. He was close, I could feel him. I pulled myself up and glanced round. My knife was out of reach and he was right on top of me. I made a desperate dive for the knife, but his hand grabbed my arm and he pulled me effortlessly off the ground. This close, I could feel his aura. It pulsed against my skin like a contagion. The wound was weakening him second by second. Another few minutes and I could have dealt with him easily. Shame I didn’t have that luxury. He flung me down like a rag doll and pain lanced through my knee as bones shattered. The world turned grey and misty as I struggled to stay conscious. Shaking my head, I rolled onto my back groaning.

Death. After all this time, it was almost welcome. I looked up into the face of my own personal Grim Reaper. I hoped he would make it quick. Some hope. He trailed a clawed finger down my cheek.

“It’s been an age since I tasted Fey.” He drew back his finger, and I saw my own blood on his nails. He licked at them hungrily. “I am going to enjoy this,” he hissed.

Suddenly, a peculiar expression crossed his face; surprise, mingled with something else. I followed his eyes as he looked down. The tip of my sword was protruding from his abdomen. Gasping, he stumbled backwards, clawing at the wound and screeching. Beyond him, looking shaky, half dead on her feet, stood Becky.

How she came to be there, I’ll never know. Perhaps she followed the thread of connection formed when we were joined. Perhaps her own innate talents had drawn her to where she was needed. But somehow, by some miracle, she was here.

The Docharda’s eyes narrowed and it roared its torment towards the girl. She covered her ears, visibly wilting under the assault of that horrific sound. If I hadn’t drained her earlier, she might have stood a chance against the remaining power of the Dark One. But it’s malevolence poured into her. Her features stretched in a rictus of pain and anguish. The bulbous body of the Docharda slumped lifeless to the floor. At the same instant, Becky’s eyes snapped wide, and I knew the Dark One had found a way to avoid destruction.

From somewhere, the girl found some small shred of energy. Her eyes looked to me and she uttered one, beseeching word.

“Please.”

Fighting back tears, I struggled to stand up, leaning against the wall, gasping. My useless leg dragging like a lead weight, I half stumbled, half crawled to the body of the Docharda. Its ancient form, empty of spirit, was already breaking down. I grasped the hilt of my sword and heaved.

The Dark One looked out at me from Becky’s eyes.

“Still trying to win? Oh that’s just tragic.”

I pulled again, and the sword came free, it’s edge rasping against the ribs of the creature. Now the Dark One didn’t look so confident. Becky’s body was ill equipped for a fight, and the Docharda had nowhere near enough power now to shape her body to his will. Not yet anyway.

It looked around, stretching, as if to get used to the feel of its new skin. It grinned at me defiantly.

“Let’s call it a draw. See you around.”

I watched, distraught, as it turned to leave; walking calmly down the alleyway towards the night. Something primal rose up within me. There was no way I was going to let it just walk away in Becky’ shape.

“Let’s not!” I shouted.

I summoned every bit of strength, physical, mental and magical, and forged it all into a single coherent desire. Screaming in rage I launched my blade. Filled with energy it flew across the space between us, flashing like a lightning bolt, shattering the darkness. The thing had turned at my shout, and the blade struck deep into its chest. Becky’s body was flung backwards, smashing into the wall as a pulse of energy flashed outwards. Glass shattered above me and litter was flung about. Somewhere, not too far away, a car alarm started wailing. There could be no escape. Its essence was utterly rent, whatever spirit it possessed destroyed utterly.

Dragging myself over to where Becky’s torn body lay, I cradled her frail form in my arms and wept. I turned my face to the heavens and screamed my pain to the stars. As if in answer, a gentle rain started to fall, mingling with y tears and washing the blood from her face.

Although I knew it was stupid and futile, I gathered in magic from the alley. The death of the Dark One had left a lot of residual energy. It was tainted, raw and ugly. But I turned it inwards and made it pure, remembering this gentle woman who had been so full of life. I searched and found the link which bound us. How I’d missed it earlier I could not imagine. The connection to Becky was as tenuous as spider silk. But I sent a healing down it. I tried and tried. I swear to you, I tried. But there was nothing there. She was gone. Having nowhere else to go, the healing found my wounds. I glared at my leg as bones fused and flesh knitted. I abhorred my own existence, my life, my miserable endless life.

###

So. That’s how it happened. That’s how you came to be lying here in this cold ground with just a stone angel for company, and how I survived, thanks to you. I didn’t even know your second name till now.

There’s always a price. But sometimes, the price is too high. I’m so sorry. I swear to you, on your grave. I’ll never forget you Rebecca Anne Leigh as long as I live. And damn my soul, that could be a very, very long time.