Forever In My Heart

Chapter 1

CHAPTER 1

Today will be the last Christmas that I will spend with my best friend, Eli in New York. My parents decided to move back to their hometown, Huntsville, where my parents met and got married. They said that it will be a better environment for Jimmy, my one year old brother.
They said the same thing to grandma when they wanted to move to New York when I was one year old. They persuaded grandma by saying that it will be a suitable environment for me. But that clearly wasn’t the right thing to do. They saw what I turned out to be while I was living in New York and it is not what they had in mind.
I was in a bookstore browsing through the thick novels that the store have, deciding which novel I should buy for the long trip to Huntsville. Even though I came with my best friend Eli, she was nowhere in sight. She must be somewhere around Calvin Klein, Chanel or Dolce & Gabbana looking for a dress for the New Year’s Eve dance festival, the biggest dance festival in our high school of the year. The freshman, juniors and seniors are all talking about it. It must be really big. I grinned by the thoughts of it. She is more into fashion and social stuff which is the total opposite of me. Maybe that’s why we are such good friends. We understand each other too well I guess.
But one thing for sure is that she hates her name, Elaine. Her name was taken from a book called Lady Lancelot. It doesn’t surprise me really since her mom is into literatures. Her parents even name her older brother Lance as in sir Lancelot. She insisted that everyone would call her Eli instead of Elaine. She thinks that it is a much cooler name than Elaine.
Most of the books in the store I have already read it, twice. So I decided to look for Eli. I was wondering what was taking her so long so I went strolling around her favorite store. Then I stopped. No wonder, I thought. She was talking to Ben, a guy that she has a major crush on.
Ben just asked Eli to the big dance last week and she is so excited about it and decided to shop for the perfect dress in London. Or was it Paris? But she never really got it. So today she is going dress shopping here in New York instead. By the looks of it, she already got it.
Around her arms are plastic bags from Calvin Klein and Chanel. You could say that money is not a problem for her. Her family owns a multi- billion dollar company. Her father is the CEO and his brother is the General Manager of the company.
She was blushing. I saw her blood rushing to her cheeks. Ben must have said something that would make her blush. I decided to go and window shopping. That would make her have more time with Ben. She would love it.
I wonder around and saw a beautiful blue butterfly bracelet. I bought it as a Christmas present for Eli. Even though it was a bit pricey and I knew that Eli could afford ten of them, she was worth it. She is the only real friend that I had known since nursery. She is the only one who is kind enough to lend me a hand without wanting me to pay her back. The only one who is willing to be my friend.
I was watching as the cashier wrapped the bracelet in a cute blue box nicely. I paid her and put Eli’s gift in my purse so that she won’t know. I grinned. I can already imagine how she would react when I give her this bracelet.
Although this year I was suppose to celebrate Christmas with her family, but since I was moving, she thought that it would be best if I celebrated my last Christmas in New York with her and my family. I didn’t agree with her at first, but then she gave me her irresistibly cute puppy dog face. She knows how I could not help but to agree with her.
That was not fair, I thought. I was regretting it over the fact that my parents are always acting lovey-dovey all the time really makes me sick from time to time. But that’s just what Eli likes about them. Her parents are a little more obsessed with their work. So she never really sees them acting like they are in love with each other.
I was sitting all alone in the Cafe; where I was suppose to meet Eli. My chocolate strawberry cake was already half eaten when a waitress approached me. She was too beautiful to be a waitress. Modeling would suit her best. She gave me a warm smile while serving my vanilla latte.
I took a sip and choked on it when Eli suddenly shouted my name. My face somehow turns red. I can feel the blood rushing to my cheeks. I was trying to hide my face. But before I could get my posture back to wave at her, she was already sitting beside me.
“What is it?” I asked
“You really have to listen to this. I heard from Alice that Jess just got dumped....” she answered excitedly. But before she could continue I cut in....
“Wait, weren’t you with Ben just now?”
“Oh, yeah.... he just wants to know at what time he should pick me up. But that’s not the case... I bumped into Alice just now. She told me that Jess got dumped by Pete. I mean right before the big dance. How wrong was that? I mean really....”
“Wow, I mean... that’s kinda... harsh...” that was the only respond that I could give to her. I never really took any interest in this sort of stuff like gossiping. That must be the reason why I was alienated by the all girls in school and the fact that I was not a Britney wannabe or a cheerleader. I tried to push myself away from the crowd. But it is really hard when the boys just can’t seem to leave me alone.
“Hey!” she snapped her fingers. “Are you listening to me?”
“Yeah” I answered apologetically.
“So exactly how many guys have you rejected already?” she asked.
My face turns red. I thought I’ve told her not to bring up this again.... oh well...
“I don’t know what you mean by that..” I said trying to avoid the topic.
“Look, I know that you are going to move in like 2 days time, but couldn’t you just ask your parents to move like after the dance or something. You know I saw you that day.”
“Saw what?”
“I saw that you rejected Paul. He’s like the hottest guy in school but not hotter than Ben that is. You have also rejected Adam... Jesse... John and even Michael. I mean they are like the top hotties in school. Why would you even think of rejecting each and every one of them? I really couldn’t understand you. Don’t you know what a girl would do the go out with them? Are you really from this planet anyway?” she goes on and on about this every time she brought the same topic.
I have to end this. “I was just not in the mood for dancing. You know I have two left feet right? So I’m not going to the dance and go embarrass myself in front of everyone.” Oh no! Not the puppy-dog face. I cried to myself. Before she could successfully make her puppy- dog face...
“I am moving in two days time anyway. So I can’t really make it to the dance.” Phew... She didn’t manage to do her puppy- dog face.
“Fine, fine.” She grumbled. I can’t believe I win over her. Well that’s a first, I thought.
We walked silently to her red Benz. I can feel that she is mad at me. Is it because of the dance or the fact that I’m moving? I wondered to myself. I wanted to ask her but I guess it would be better if I just let her cool down for a while. I sat on her car. It was a total silence. The sound of the seatbelts clicking fill the car. I could feel the cold air in my face when she turned on the air- conditioner. I tried to think of a word to overcome the silence.
“Umm...” was all that come out. Stupid I whispered to myself.
“What?!” she said suddenly.
“Emm... well... umm... Are you still mad at me?”
“....No...., it’s just that I’m sad that you will be leaving New York soon. I....”
“Ohhh...” I was feeling sad too leaving New York and Eli.
“I won’t have anyone to talk to.” She sighed.
“Well, you have your cell phone right. You can call me anytime when you want to talk to me or you could e-mail me.” I tried to cheer her up. I just hope it work.
“Well, we’re here. I’ll see you later.” She gave a little fake smile. I tried to smile back. I opened the car door, grabbing onto my purse holding it tightly. I wish I could give her the bracelet now but that would just make it seem like I’m bribing her to forgive me for leaving New York. So I decided to give her later. I shut the car door and waved goodbye at her. She smiled again. This time it looks sincere. I watched as she steadily reversed her car to the driveway. One last wave before she disappeared out of my sight.
I knocked on the front door and there was dad with Jimmy on his arms. Jimmy was excited to see me. He held out his arms so that I can hold him. I didn’t want to at first but my dad give me a face and hand in Jimmy to me. I held him tightly so that I won’t drop him.
Dad giggled at me as he watched me struggles to keep Jimmy from falling. I am not really good with little kids. Dad went to the kitchen to help mom leaving me alone with Jimmy. Jimmy gave me a kiss on my cheek and a hug. I smiled. His kiss and hug never fail to cheer me up. He must know that I’m feeling down.
I brought him to his room and put him on the floor. He was overly excited when I went to pull out a box full of toys. I took out his favorite action figure, the Joker. I never really could understand why he chose the villain rather than the hero. But I guess that just who he is. He likes something that no one would expects, ones that other people don’t want to have or like, something that is one of a kind. I guess it just runs in the blood. I watch him play happily. I pushed the button at the back of the action figure.
“I’m gonna get you… hahaha…” He laughed a cute laughter as the words come out of the Joker.
A knock on the door startled me. I turned my head around and saw mom and dad at the door staring at us with wide smiles on their faces. They kept staring at us, looking all happy and proud.
“I’ll take care of him. Why don’t you go and wash up?” Her soft voice fills my ear.
“Oh, okay.” I replied. I got up and walked out of the room. I can still sense that they are still smiling proudly. Proud that I am trying to build my relationship with Jimmy.
I went into my room and dropped my purse into the chair next to the desk. I lay on my bed, closing my eyes. Thinking. I really don’t want to move. This whole moving thing really frustrates me. New town, new school, new friends. I f I ever make any. I’m not good in making friends. I really do have the worst social skill. Eli, what would I do without her? She was the only one that could understand me truly.
Somehow I could feel that there was someone in my room other than me. I opened my eyes and there she was staring down at me, the subject of my concern, with a confused expression. I guess I was really in deep thoughts. I couldn’t even hear the sound of the door creaking open.
“What are you doing?” she asked.
“I was just resting my eyes,” while trying to sit up.
“Well, your mom asked me to tell you that dinner will ready anytime soon. So she wanted you to come down.” She seemed happier than before. I was glad.
“Oh, okay. I’m just going to wash my face first. I’ll see you downstairs.”
She nodded and left me alone in my room.
I waited till she was out of sight. I pull out a box full of presents that I bought for my parents and Jimmy last week, out from the closet and put it beside my bed. Then I take out Eli’s gift next and put on my bed. I arranged all of the gifts on my bed nicely. Happiness feels my thought when I imagine how their face would look like when I give them these.
I almost tripped on Jimmy’s toys on my way to the bathroom. Ugghh… I picked it up and put it aside. When I enter the bathroom, it feels empty. The decoration that mom had put all these years are not there. “Already packed in a box,” I whispered to myself.
I opened the tap, listening as the water went rushing out. I put my hand together like a bowl under the running water. I waited for it to fully fill my hand and gently splashed the water onto my face. I feel freshened. I wiped my face dry and look at myself in the mirror. My hair was all messed up. I combed my hair with my finger making sure that it is in place and then went rushing downstairs.
I heard Jimmy laughing. It comes from the living room. I walked towards the living room and saw Eli playing with Jimmy on the floor when my mum suddenly called for dinner. Both Eli and Jimmy turned around and saw me by the door. Eli smiled and Jimmy held out his hands as usual so that I could hold him. I pick him up from the floor while Eli stands up and we went to the dining room. I put Jimmy in his chair and I sat beside Eli. There was a lot of food on the table. Mom overdid it this time or maybe she just wants to clean up the fridge.
“Well, dig in. What are you waiting for.” Dad said excitedly with the fork in his hands.
It was almost a silent dinner when dad suddenly burst a burp. We all laughed.
“An excellent dinner as always, dear.” Dad praised to mum.
“Thank you.” Mum blushed.
Ugghh… They’re making the googly eyes again. I can feel my food coming back up.
Eli helped me clean up the table while dad washed dishes. After we finished cleaning up, we went to the living room where my mom and Jimmy are.
“It’s time for presents.” Mom said excitedly. Jimmy went jumping by the words present. That’s his most favorite part.
“Oh!” I have forgotten that my gifts are still upstairs in my bedroom. “Umm, could you wait for me for a while? I have forgotten something.” I ran my way to my bedroom and grab all the gifts making sure that I have got it all. I went downstairs one step at a time hoping I will not fall on my way to the living room.
I could see Jimmy’s eyes and smile widened as I enter the room. I dumped all the gifts on the big couch across the fireplace.
I took in a lung full of air, “Phew, sorry to keep you waiting.” I said.
“It’s fine dear.” Mom said.
I handed them each of their gifts while they give each give me a gift including Jimmy. Jimmy insisted that I opened his first so Eli gave in to him. I opened it. It was a key chain of a girl and a little boy like a sister and a smaller brother like me and Jimmy. I smiled.
“Jimmy chose it himself, you know.” Dad said proudly.
I gave Jimmy a smile again and a kiss on his cheeks. He blushed.
“Okay, my turn, my turn.” Eli said excitedly.
“Fine, let’s open it together,” I said to Eli.
I opened the gift that she gave while she opened mine. It was…
“Oh,” I sputtered.
“Oh…” I heard from Eli.
In front of me was the same butterfly bracelet that I had bought for Eli except it was pink in color. I looked at her and she looked at me. Her face looked surprised. I bet mine was too. Then a giggle burst from her surprised face.
“It seem like we have the same taste in jewelry.” She grinned. She started laughing and we all joined in.
She wears the bracelet that I gave her and I wear the bracelet that she gave me.
“Those bracelets look lovely on the both of you.” Mom complimented. I smiled again.
“That was kind of weird.” I said.
“Yeah. By the way pink is definitely your color.” She replied still smiling.
“Hah. Very funny!” I was being sarcastic.
We were on the porch. I was sending Eli to her limo. We didn’t realize that it was already late. We had so much fun.
“By the way thanks for the bracelet.” I said.
“You’re welcome. And thank you too.” She gave me a big hug and whispered, “I’m gonna miss you.”
“Me too.” I replied. Then she releases me.
“Well, I’m going now. I’ll see you tomorrow, kay?”
“See you tomorrow. Nite, have a safe drive home.”
She waved good bye and went inside her limo. One was look and she said, “Goodbye.”
“Bye and a good night to you to James.”
“Good night Miss Christine” James said. James was the limo driver. He has been working with Christine and his family since she was about 3 years old. He looks pretty serious sometimes but it was just to scare the guys that were trying to flirt with Christine. James was more like a father to Christine than her own father is. That’s why she loves James as she loves her own father.
The limo was already out of sight. I sighed and looked at the bracelet that Eli gave to me. I never really thought she would buy me this kind of stuff. She knows me better than that. She knows that I never wear jewelry in my life except when I was 5 years old. My mom forced me to wear it, but I always yank it out again and again until mum finally just gives up.
Last Christmas she bought me a whole set of a drawing material because she knows how I love to draw. The year before that she bought me the whole set of Harry Potter. I laughed by the thoughts of it.
The bracelet, she must have bought it as something to remember her by just the same reason why I had bought her the bracelet. I smiled again.
I went inside and saw Jimmy playing with his new toy that I had bought for him. It was the green goblin, if I remember it correctly. I knew he would like it just by looking at the wide smile on his face. I walked towards him, bend down, and give him a pat and a kiss on his forehead. He looked at me and smile.
“It’s getting late don’t you think.” My dad interrupted. He held Jimmy in his arms. He and mom gave me a kiss on my forehead. It has become a tradition in the Stewart family for the parents to kiss their children on their forehead before they go to sleep. It was a tradition that has been down from generation to generation. It is to show how the parents love their children and also their family.
My parents gave the lecture when I turned 10 years old and since then it just stuck in my head. So I guess I could understand it. Jimmy suddenly gave me a kiss too. He gives a cute giggle. I smiled at him. My mom and dad smiled too.
“Let’s go to bed now, shall we?’ Mom said.
I nodded, giving her a smile. I followed them upstairs. Mom and dad went to Jimmy’s room to put him in his cradle. Before they said goodnight, they kissed Jimmy on the forehead. I smiled again happy by the thoughts that they really love me and Jimmy.
I walked into the bathroom and brushed my teeth. I stared myself into the mirror, and held my hands up looking at the bracelet that wrapped around my hand. The bracelet really is beautiful. Then I remembered what Eli had said that pink is my color. I laughed by the thoughts of it.
I walked to my bedroom and lied on my bed. I was remembering all the time that I had spent together with Eli. It was a wonderful time. Suddenly my eyes were getting heavy and I dozed off.
♠ ♠ ♠
plz comment and i hope u like it ^_^