Fly Me Away

Chapter 1

It was an average day in the life of an average girl. I was expecting nothing eventful to happen and nothing good to come from that day.

Silly me.

My friends, who were actually getting along for once, were ready and rearing to gossip about the new guy at school. Despite their girlish flaws, Kelly and Pip were the best friends I’d ever had. Kelly was a pale girl with blonde hair who enjoyed nothing more than a walk along the beach with a boy and an ice cream cone – emphasis on the boy part. Pip, on the other hand, was a tall, hyperactive red head and was constantly full on energy. She was the girl parading around the department store, trying on a mauve dress with purple stockings and a top hat.

“No I think Nathans gunna go for Allison Fitzgerald,” Kelly said as she rested comfortably on my bed, flicking through an old fashion magazine.

“Really? But Rita’s, like, already gone out with him.” Pip was opposite her, also flicking through a magazine.

There was a magazine resting on my lap too, the pages flipped open to an article on Brad’s affair with his maid or something like that – I definitely wasn’t reading it.

“That doesn’t mean anything. In the end, it’s all about compatibility. Nathan and Rita just don’t have any.”

“How so?”

“Well, first of all, Rita is one of those girls who—”

And the inevitable happened – I zoned out. I was about as interested in this Nathan fellow’s love life as I was interested in the amount of ripe cabbages in my Moms vegetable garden.
My gaze wandered away from the two girls giggling on my bed, to the cloudless afternoon sky outside my balcony window. I imagined just leaping to my feet and jumping off it, the wind picking me up and gliding me over the town. I imagined how the wind would tangle my hair and whip around my clothes, and how the little cars would look racing through the bustling maze of town.

A pair of swallows fluttered around outside, chirping and chasing each other before disappearing into the trees. I wanted to be a swallow in my back yard. It was the ideal place for swallows, as Mom made a conscious effort to station bird houses in every tree. She was a free spirit my Mom, doing what she wanted to do and nothing else. She was obsessed with the swallows, sometimes I thought she wanted to be a swallow too and just fly away. Like mother like daughter I suppose...

“Umm, Maggie?”

I startled at the sound of my name.

Pip had put down her magazine and was eyeing me wearily. Kelly was laughing a little bit—at me I assumed—and still flicking limply through the pages of her magazine.

“You okay? We’ve been talking to you for like five minutes.” Pip twisted a piece of bright red hair between her fingers.

I shrugged and closed the magazine on my lap, “Sorry, I think the boredoms getting to me.”

“You can say that again,” Kelly agreed.

Pip collapsed backwards onto my bed. Kelly gently tossed her magazine on the ground and sprawled out beside her.

“Nothing exciting ever happens around here. We should go on a road trip or something.”

“Wow yes! We could go jet skiing with my cousin in Minneapolis!”

“What?” Kelly propped herself up on her elbows to give Pip a questioning look, “yeah right, like your parents would ever let you go.”

“They so would!” Pip defended.

“Yeah, if you take your millions of brothers and sisters with you and you stop and stay with Grandma for ten days.”

Pip scoffed. Kelly laughed and collapsed back down.

“Maggie, do you have any suggestions?” Pip asked, eager to change the subject.

“...what about something a little more achievable," I suggested.

“Yeah? Like what.” The two girls, not willing to use a lot of energy, twisted around groggily to look at me.

“hmmm....smoothies?”

I knew exactly how they would react to that one.

“YES!” Pip exclaimed. Kelly perked up, “WOOO!”

The girls stumbled to their feet and trotted out of my room and down the stairs. I laughed quietly to myself before giving my balcony one more fleeting look. Two swallows were perched on the rail staring at me, their heads tilting from side to side. It looked kind of creepy at first, their beady little eyes were scanning the inside of my room as if they wanted to come in, but I got over it – they were just birds. I picked up the magazines and threw them in a pile on my desk before following the girls downstairs.

-----

“Doesn’t he look strapping Maggie?!”

Mom had just got back from the dog groomers with our dog Minotaur, the rag-ball papillon. Kelly and Pip had left to go God knows where, probably because of the boredom. I was stuck at home, waiting for Mom so I could walk our needy dog.

She held him out towards me and he wagged his tail enthusiastically. I took him, but placed him on the ground. I always found that dog much too fidgety to carry.

“Very nice,” I dead panned. He looked exactly the same. The groomers just clipped his nails and charged a hundred dollars.

Mom laughed and returned merrily to her gardening. Minotaur looked up at me expectantly. He obviously knew what time it was; he was the eighth smartest breed of dog in the world or something like that.

“Alright then. Go get your leash.”

He scampered off.

I ran to my room and pulled a light cardigan on over my t-shirt. It was too hot for a real jumper. I contemplated changing my jeans for shorts, but was ultimately too lazy. I liked to at least try and look respectable whenever I went out in public, so I made my way gingerly over to my duchess mirror.

I didn’t look as awful as I had imagined; my wavy brown hair was tame due to the nice weather, but my eyes looked at bland as ever. There was nothing particularly exciting about the way I looked, but I never liked to garner any sort of attention anyway, especially not of that kind. Kelly usually took care of that.

“Maggie, hurry up!” Mum yelled from outside my window, her voice muffled through the glass. I rolled my eyes and trudged down the stairs.

Minotaur was running circles around Mom, leash securely in his mouth. Mom weaved away from him, frustrated.

“Thank goodness,” she murmured, as the dog bounced over to me and dropped his leash at my feet.

I laughed and clipped the leash on his tiny black collar. He immediately began pulling me towards the side walk. Minotaur was quite strong for such a little thing; perhaps it wasn’t such a random name.

I walked him down a couple of blocks and up into a track I’d found a few years ago. I was almost certain nobody else knew about it, simply because I had never seen anyone acknowledge it, better yet walk it. I didn’t see why though, because it was the most stunning walk I’d ever walked. When the sun was out, it leaked through gaps in the trees and made patterns on the ground, which changed throughout the day. And the trees were always littering the ground with red flower petals; that was the part that got me. It was a great outlet for energy, and I was never bothered by anyone – it was just a shame my annoying dog had to come all the time.

We finally arrived at the peak of the track – a picturesque view of my town, accompanied by a trio of tree stumps that were perfect for sitting on. This was one of my favourite places to be ever, I kinda felt like I could watch over the whole town from up there.

I sat on the larger stump of the three and patted my knee softly; Minotaur looked a bit tired after our trek up the hill.

“Up here boy.”

The little dog hopped merrily up into my lap. He hung his head over my knee and panted quickly, his tongue lolling. He wasn’t annoying when he was tuckered out.

After a few minutes of peacefulness, Minotaur’s puffing stopped and his ears perked up. I heard quiet footsteps coming from the woods behind me and I spun around. Minotaur leapt off excitedly and trotted towards the source of the noise.

A person emerged from a gap in the trees. It was a boy, maybe...nineteen twenty...Wearing a white t-shirt and some dark wash jeans. Minotaur’s tail was wagging like a machine as he circled around this mystery man shamelessly. The guy looked around the clearing for a moment, and out towards the view of the town before his eyes rested on me. Bright, peppermint green eyes...

Oh my goodness.

He looked like a Greek God. Kelly would have a field day if she saw this guy! Luckily, I had a bit more self control than she did. I stood up and brushed the tree bark off my pants.

“Sorry, he’s mine. Come here boy,” I said, clicking my fingers to try and grab the dog’s attention. Minotaur wasn’t having a bar if it.

The man smiled and scooped Minotaur up with one hand – the dog was ecstatic. He wiggled around and attempted to lick the strangers face.

I gave up the clicking and took a subtle step forward, “Wow he really likes you.”

“I guess I have a way with animals,” he said, his voice low and velvety. Minotaur was trying to smother him with his ears. I could now say that I had seen my dog truly happy. Minotaur was usually so bad with strangers... he hated anyone that didn’t look like Pip or my mom, who I luckily did resemble. Kelly especially. No matter how many times Kelly came over, Minotaur still yapped at her like a police hound flushing out a thief.

The man walked up to me and passed me my dog. Needless to say, Minotaur disliked this decision, and struggled profusely.

I laughed nervously and put him on the ground, “Good dog.”

When I looked back up, he was right there. A meter seemed like such a close proximity now that he was standing within it. A light wind blew through his golden hair and drew my eyes too it. He had a nice hair cut, not too long, somewhat messy and just slightly falling onto his face – something you only saw on young Hollywood movie stars or male models. He grinned at me charmingly and I lost my train of thought.

I blurted out the first thing that came to my head, “I didn’t think anyone else knew about this walk.”

That wasn’t too painful.

He sidestepped me and stared out at the town, “I know about it now.”

“Right. I can see that.”

I clipped Minotaur to his leash, but this didn’t stop him pulling away to try and get back to the mystery guy.

“I’m Jackson,” he said politely, turning and holding out his hand.

“Oh, Maggie.” I took it and smiled.

“I just moved here from up north. You could say I... stumbled upon this place. Nice view.”

I nodded a little absentmindedly, looking out over the town again.

“Would it be too forward for me to ask you for directions out of here? There are so many forks in that track; I’m surprised anyone can find their way.”

“Oh, you’re lost?”

The man named Jackson laughed and ran a hand through his hair, “Seems that way.”

I contemplated for a moment, but found no reason to object.

“I was just heading back if you wanted to tag along?”

He looked at me quizzically, “are you sure?”

“Yeah...should I not be?”

I raised an eyebrow. He seemed like a nice enough guy.

“No. Thank you,” he mumbled. I was shocked, he sounded quite angry. A complete mood swing from three short seconds ago. That scared me a bit and I almost took back my offer, but then he smiled again; a sweet, charming, boyish smile that was clearly meant to make me melt – and boy did I melt.

“Kay, this way.”

I drifted back into the woods and he followed closely behind.

-----

“So, is there a reason why you moved here?” I asked casually.

We hadn’t been walking for long, and it was so pleasantly warm and peaceful. I took my cardigan off and tied it dorkily around my waist. He didn’t seem to notice.

“I’m studying at the art school.”

“Oh. Nice. An artist.” He didn’t seem like the artist type.

I had seen a lot of those art school students pass through, and he definitely wasn’t waifish and washed out with a scarf and a beret.

“Are you a student?” he questioned.

“Umm, yes. Last year of high school.”

“Ah, I see.”

I felt him looking at me and I dared to turn and investigate.

His eyes were scanning my face, and my hair, and my neck and my shoulders. An array of butterflies fluttered around in my stomach, but, flattered as I was, I began to feel a bit uncomfortable after a moment. Then his eyes landed on mine again.

What amazing eyes. I had never seen such light green eyes before, like the filling in peppermint flavoured chocolates. Yuuummm....

“Perhaps you would let me paint you one day?” he said nonchalantly, interrupting my thoughts.

“...What?”

“Paint a picture of you. For education purposes only, I assure you.”

It was safe to say, I was at a loss for words. I blushed and quickly looked away. Why on earth would he want to paint me? I was such an average looking girl. Definitely not cute like Pip or exotic like Kelly. Come to think of it, I hung out with two of the prettiest girls in the town – maybe I should introduce them to him...

“Umm, I don’t know. I’m probably not your best option.”

“I think you might be,” he shook his head and stared up the track, “But I’m sure the fashion students would be interested, if you’re not.”

I didn’t respond, even though I wanted so badly to say yes. Not because I wanted to be painted, but because I wanted him to look at me like he was before. God that sounded stalkerish. I needed to get home.

I subconsciously untied the cardigan from my waist and put it back on, instantly regretting my choice of clothes for this little venture. How was I supposed to know I would meet McStunning while walking my dog?

“Though, I would much rather paint you.”

Who did this Jackson guy think he was? It was such a subtle compliment that may not even have been a compliment, but it made my insides turn to bubbly. This Jackson fellow was charming the socks off of me. How rude.

I chose to remain somewhat quiet for the rest of the walk, for my own sanity. He co-operated, but added the odd question or comment in every now and then, nothing major. Nothing that made me lose my mind. Even Minotaur walked beside me quietly – a huge difference from his normal behaviour.

He gave a sigh of relief when we reached civilisation. I stood by awkwardly for a moment, not sure whether to say something before I retreated or not. He turned and gave me a grateful smile and I decided to be polite; I would probably never see him again.

“Well, I live this way. It was nice to meet you Jackson.” I started hauling Minotaur up the street with me.

I didn’t hear him reply, but my departure did seem quite rude when I thought about it. I had good intentions.

“Maggie!”

I hadn’t gone far, and the sound of my name always drew my attention like an alarm. I spun on my heels.

He walked a bit closer, then stopped, opting just to raise his voice, “On weekends you can find me in cathedral square painting portraits. If you happen to be in town, don’t hesitate to stop bye. Maybe you would even let me paint you, if I asked nicely.”

I shrugged, “Maybe...”

He smiled and, in the most adorable movement I had ever seen, shoved his hands in his pockets and walked away.
♠ ♠ ♠
FINALLY!

Sorry it's so flipping long, hope you guys can struggle though it.

I have faith in this story.

Let me know what you think :D