Fly Me Away

Chapter 38

The Queen, known only by the name Terra, was a human born 700 years ago into normal middle class society. She had long dark hair, a slender figure, deep blue eyes, and an endearing manor. When she turned 18 she was taken from her village and given eternal life by a demon who was infatuated with her; this Demon was the king. Despite not possessing any otherworldly powers herself, Terra was loved by all dark creatures; demons, witches, vampires, you name it. There was just something about her…

“I AM NOT THEIR QUEEN!!” I screeched, latching my hands onto my hair.

“I know Maggie, you just—”

“I was born in a hospital 18 years ago and I have a Mother and a Brother. I was never ever ever ever the flipping Queen of the damned!”

“I know, you—”

“They are mindless idiots! ALL OF THEM!”

“Maggie sshh, please listen to me for just a second,” Jackson pleaded, grabbing me softly by my upper arms. We had been pointlessly arguing like this for a past 10 minutes, never moving from that cold spot in the woods – so much for leaving right now.

I frowned and stuck my lip out, but listened. My stubborn denial wasn’t getting me any answers. “I think you’re wrong.”

He sighed, frustrated, “look, there has only ever been one human any creature of the underworld would die to protect, and that was their Queen.... apparently, your doppelganger. Those demons that have been following you haven’t been trying to get you at all, they’re all after me. They desperately want me out of the way.”

My mouth dropped open.

“Their Queen hasn’t been seen in over 500 years Maggie, this is huge for them.”

“so….you think I’m, like, a reincarnation or something?”

“I’m very young for and Angel, I don’t know the exact details, but I know enough too—”

“—Where would they take me?”

He sighed again, giving up on the idea of me keeping quiet, “Where there is a Queen my dear, there is a King, and he hasn’t seen you in a very very long time.”

“That man the witch was talking about?! You mean—”

“Maggie, just breathe for a minute. I have an idea that you will like.”

He stood back and I stumbled forwards slightly, not realizing how much weight I was putting on him. His face was serious as his jacket dropped to the floor, followed by his dark grey t-shirt.

I screwed up my nose – Was this his idea??? How inappropriate!

The glowing white wings that unfolded behind his back in a graceful dance erased any doubt I had immediately. Standing in front of me with his arms folded was the angel now, that sensible unearthly creature that only appeared when it was entirely necessary. I couldn’t argue with the angel, I would only listen. It was like I barely knew who this was…

Then he smiled softly and his eyes glistened that peppermint green I loved. My Jackson was still in there.

“I’m taking you to Pip.”

My heart pounded in my chest and my spirits lifted for just a second. “…. Pip?” My own voice was a quiet whimper compared to the angels. I wanted to say so much more, but nothing came out.

“Yes, Pip is in the forest. Mariana said she was waiting for us, which means all of them are. I’ll take you to them and they may be able to explain further.”

All of them. My head was trying to replay what the witch had said, but it seemed to be failing me. A clumsy mess of thoughts flew around pointlessly before I gave up. I just wanted to get to her, check she was okay. What if she was scared? I wanted to take my Angel to her so she knew she was safe. She would understand everything, I’d explain.

I couldn’t stop the tears trickling down my face at that point. So much was happening. I was in trouble, Pip was in the forest….my chest tightened and the sobbing began, “I’m scared Jackson.”

“Maggie…” He said softly, his sweet eyes were inviting. “Come here,” he whispered, stepping forward and opening his arms to me. I walked all too eagerly into him, not giving it a second thought and slumped my head against his chest. I wasn’t crying really, I was just overwhelmed. He stroked my hair and used that calming angel drug on me, but it wasn’t doing a whole lot of good. This was still to most frightening situation I had ever been in.

“I don’t want to be taken away,” I whimpered.

“I won’t let anyone near you,” he soothed, bringing me closer to him, “and nothing gets past your Angel. You know that.”

God he was fantastic.

-------

Usually when Jackson flew me somewhere, I'd shut my eyes. Contrary to popular belief, flying was not a pleasant experience. We were so high this time, I finally opened them so I could see and all I was was scared. I would most certainly die if he let go of me, and my ears hurt like hell, something about being so high up. The wind was freezing and it stung my eyes and pushed my hair onto my face.

Below us, all I saw was trees. Lots and lots of trees. I couldn’t even see a trace of our town in the distance, so we must have been far away. Jackson was very fast – he flew like an eagle, gliding high up one moment, then curving his wings and streaming down like a bullet. It didn’t take long before he started hovering close to the treetops.

“Do you feel okay?” He pulled me close and spoke straight into me ear. We were skimming across the tree tops and the wind was still hit me like a ton of bricks. I nodded, he always asked me this before he landed and normally I wouldn’t feel okay, I would feel horrendously sick. Not this time. I just wanted to get to Pip.

I squeaked when we ducked beneath the cover of trees and into the dark forest. He was good at landing, always straight and slow, but it never ceased to tear my stomach out through my mouth – just suddenly stopping like that and feeling gravity push me back to the ground. How he picked out the specific part of the forest Pip was in only going by what that witch said was beyond me. Some secret angel communication…

Jackson held me up as I took a few steps to get my balance. My eyes scanned around frantically, “Where is she?”

Jackson pointed to my right – then I ran.

I felt fast, but I knew Jackson was faster, I never looked back to see if he was coming. There was a stream of light ahead; a small opening in the tree’s that let a bit of warmth in. I tripped over several times, but ignored it.

Pip was just sitting there, on the ground in a pool of light. She had a stick in her hand and she was drawing pictures on the dirt, looking a little bit lost.

“Pip!” I yelled, the second I saw her mop of red hair.

Her head snapped up to see me and her eyes immediately brightened. “Oh my God Maggie!!!” The excitement was there in her voice, and she rose with clear intent, but her body looked weak and she clambered over to me not half as quickly as she wanted to. I met her halfway, consuming her in a large hug, in which I was obviously the stronger one. It was difficult not to bowl her over.

None the less, she hugged back with plenty of gusto. “You have no idea how glad I am to see you,” she cried into my shoulder.

“Tell me about it.”

She sniffed, “I don’t even know where to start.”

“There’s so much I need to say,” I found myself crying now. Such a huge relief, “how…how did you get here? I—”

Jackson cleared his throat behind me, “Maggie.”

I turned back to see him, still shirtless, folding his arms before a large white pair of wings. He frowned at something behind my head, but those wings jolted a though into my head like a nail gun. I looked back at Pip and, sure enough, her eyes were fixated on the glorious Angel that was Jackson.

She squinted her eyes, “I knew it.”

“I….I can explain….”

“He’s so beautiful,” she observed, tilting her head and frowning a little bit, “How irritating. My angel’s just a bear.”

….?!

“What did you say?” I squeaked.

“My Angel is a bear. Your Angel is an attractive man. Who makes these decisions? I wanna talk to them...”

Your Angel? A bear?? You have an Angel!?!?

“Yep. It’s a really long story…..Well, the bears not leaving me alone so I’ll assume it’s mine.”

I felt faint. What the hell was going on??

”Ahem, Maggie,” Jackson repeated from behind me.

“What?” I spun around, placing my hands on my hips. Couldn’t he see something huge and confusing had just happened?

He pointed to whatever was behind my head again. I turned around and finally looked past Pip.

My mouth dropped open – There was a big brown bear sitting there, not four meters away. It was perched backwards on its bum looking almost quizzically at me. How did I miss this before? Pip twisted around to see as well, but she just smiled and wandered over.

“This is my angel I think,” she said, holding her hand up towards its head. I was expecting it to get bitten off, but the bear just lowered its head until Pip could pat it, “Those weird fairy ladies told me, have you met them?”

I was so stunned I didn’t hear what she said, and when stunned, I turned to Jackson. He smiled thoughtfully and walked over to my side so he could observe Pip and the bear a bit closer. Pip scruffed her fingers behind its ears as if it was a puppy and the big animal didn’t look worried. To the common bystander, this bear appeared completely wild – long matted fur, dirty worn out claws and beady black eyes – but it let Pip do whatever she wanted to it. I wasn’t even remotely scared, just….interested.

“So….” I murmured quietly, making sure only Jackson could pick it up, “Angel’s don’t have to be humans?”

“Looks that way.” He sounded as surprised as I was.

The both of us were mesmerized as we watch Pip play with the bear, “Can you hear what its thinking?”

“Yes….he likes Pip.”

“I would be worried if he didn’t.”

“What was that?” Pip interrupted, seemingly finished patting her bear.

I snapped out of it, “What?”

“Something about what it’s thinking? Is that you Jackson? Are you talking with my Angel in that head of yours?”

Jackson frowned and nodded, folding his arms again.

“Is he thinking bad things? Why are you making a face?” Pip pushed, shuffling closer.

I turned to Jackson now too. He didn’t look impressed with whatever it was he was hearing. The bear continued to sit twisting its head, but its eyes were fixed on Jackson now. I couldn’t in my right mind imagine what a bear would say if it could talk. It would, of course, have its extra angel intelligence, which should prove helpful.

“His name is Pirro and he has been in these parts for 650 years.”

Pip gasped and her face brightened up, “Pirro!” She turned to the bear, “You’re a boy, and you’re ooold!”

I couldn’t help but chuckle at Pip. It was a good thing she hadn’t lost any of her spirit being out here in the woods for a few days.

Jackson, however, wasn’t pleased. Was there something he wasn’t telling me?

“Jackson.” I tugged on his arm.

He sighed, knowing what I wanted, “You’re the spitting image, he says.”

Oh no...
♠ ♠ ♠
Greetings.

Just a short one.