With This Ring, I Thee Wed

Miserable At Best

Her heart rate increased as she ran out on to the open street of the church. She looked left, then right and decided to run down the block. Heels clicked as the back of her skirt dragged along the sidewalk. People stopped and wondered what was going on. It was only then that they realized Elizabeth Melody Asher was running down the street right past their eyes, and no paparazzi was in sight.

He ran after her, not knowing which was she went. He went with his instinct and went down the block. When he passed the familiar store fronts he knew where she was going. The cabin was only two miles from the church and she was determined to run all the way there, in her white wedding dress.

She stopped for a moment when she reached the gravel road and looked down on her city. They were such nice people. Mark was such a nice person. She stood and looked past the mountains, the sun beginning to make its retreat back to the earth.

“What the hell did I do?” She whispered to herself, looking back at her could have been life. She slipped her heels off and held them in her hand as she picked her skirt back up and continued running till she knew she was safe.

”Elizabeth, are you okay?” He asked sounding concerned.
“He broke my heart Ryan,” She sobbed as she looked up to the starry sky.

He sat down next to her in the grass and plucked at it before getting the courage to speak, “I would never break your heart Lizzy.”


Her heart was pounding in her chest and her body was so weak, but adrenaline was still pumping through her veins. She stood at the front door and lifted the head off of the frog statue, grabbing the key from underneath. She turned the lock and opened the door; whiskey and tequila filling the air.

”Here’s to the last day of me ever having a boyfriend,” She said taking a long sip from the whiskey bottle in her palm. The sparkling band caught his attention and he tried to ignore it, but he couldn’t.

“Here’s to the last time I can ever whisk you away again,” He said subconsciously and she looked at him funny.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” She asked and wrinkled her nose a bit.
“You’re getting married tomorrow.”
“Yeah,” She sighed, “I know.”


She walked over to the wooden cabinets in search of liquor, anything she could drink. When her search resulted in nothing, she gave up and stood in the middle of the living room where an old torn up blue and white plaid couch sat. The huge bay window that never had curtains looked so intriguing to her.

When he had finally caught up to her he noticed the cabin door wide open. His eye brows scrunched together and he walked inside, quietly shutting the door behind him. There she was, in her white dress, heels in her hand.

“Elizabeth?” He called out. She turned around startled at first, but her face softened when she saw it was him.

She opened her mouth to speak, but nothing came out.

”Promise me that if we ever get into a horrible relationship, that we’ll get each other out,” She smiled up at him.

“Promise,” He said and kissed her cheek, “Have fun when you move to New York.”
“Have fun waking up in Vegas,” She said and started the engine to the car. His heart sank as she drove off with a piece of him.


“W-we promised e-each other,” She sniffed, trying to stop herself from crying anymore.
“Yes we did,” He said taking a step towards her.

“We promised each other forever,” She said and silently tears fell down her pretty face.

“We still have forever,” He reminded, standing inches away from her.

“He wasn’t the one,” She said looking back out the bay window at the sun ever so slowly fading behind the hilltops and mountains. Minutes of silence passed, he stood there shifting his weight around. She turned back and looked at him, “You were.”