Ace + Thorn = Love = Impossible

Chapter 3 - Rejection

She buttoned her top quickly to run to the gym. She was one of the cheerleaders. Her name… that was the question. Would I be with her again? Doubt it… she was just a little fun before the game. Girls were my good luck. She kissed my lips and I smiled. She ran off. I waited a few minutes. Right before I was about to head out to my fans, Coach Barter came to me.

“Enough fun, its time for the game. A guy from Boston University is here to see if you deserve a full paid scholarship to their school. Remember if they are out other schools are out. Basically all or nothing” he warned and I nodded.

He left and I followed after. People yelled when I entered and a bunch of girls screamed my name. I had a huge grin on my face and I was in game mode. We were playing Hanson high school, our major rival school.

As soon as the game began I had scored. They got the ball from us and I ran after them. The guy named Jeffs tossed it to the guy named Carmichael and Carmichael scored. I heard the buzzer and I got the ball from the guy I ran dribbling the ball to their side of the court and blocked the guy from getting the ball. I turned quickly and circled the guy, showing off. I shot the ball still showing off and scored. The buzzer rang and we had six more points then them. The buzzer rang again announcing it was the end of the first quarter. We took a minute break. I ran around high fiving people and winking at all the girls. The guy from Boston now had slipped from my mind.

The buzzer rang again and they had the ball. I ran after Jeffs but couldn’t catch up with him. He was too fast. He scored and bumped into me on purpose and I fell backwards. The referee blew his whistle and he called a penalty on Jeffs. Jeffs glared at me while I smiled. They formed a line around the basket on each side and one person tossed me the ball. I caught it and threw it in. My teammate got the ball and dribbled it to where he could toss it. But before he could a guy named Kargyle got the ball and scored from a long ways away.

It was halftime and we were behind three points. I was still high fiving and making shooting motions with the basketball. I looked around and saw Thorn. I waved at her and she shook her head at me… disappointed. She came down and stood next to me. “You’re showing off too much” she told me.

“Nah… I’m just showing the other team how good I am” I smiled and kissed her cheek as the third quarter began. As I was running to get the ball from the other team I saw Coach talk to Thorn who was shrugging. Coach seemed angry and she nodded and he frowned. Then they stood next to each other watching me.

When I got the ball Id run as fast as I could while dribbling and shoot. I knew I was supposed to give the ball to my teammates but I was trying to make an impression. I'm sure I would make a good first impression.

Fourth quarter came quickly and left just as quickly. The game was over and we won. I looked around for the person and I found them; they were talking to Coach. By the time I got over there they were already by the door.

“So Coach what’d they say?” I asked smiling. His face had a look with disappointment written all over it.

“Thorn tried to tell you… But you didn’t listen. You were showing off too much and they didn’t want a show off they wanted a player. They went with Jeffs” he told. I was so angry I yelled at Coach for the first time since I’ve known him.

“Are you kidding me? He had a foul!” I yelled and it echoed in the empty gym. Coach shrugged and walked off.

“Kid, you really screwed up today” he yelled over his shoulder. Thorn came up to me and didn’t have any emotion on her face. I didn’t want to see her right now. This was the worst thing that happened to me school wise.

“I tried to tell you” she sighed. I turned to glare at her.

“Bull! You didn’t try to tell me. If you tried you would have said they think you’re showing off too much or you should stop before they change their mind!” I yelled at her who looked at me calmly but sadly. This was the first time I yelled at her ever. Today was a day of bad firsts. I walked off and slammed the gym doors leaving her alone in the gym.

*******

I arrived home not long after that. I saw Thorns car was already in the driveway. I put my forehead against the steering wheel. The passenger door opened and Thorn got in. She didn’t look my way and she didn’t say anything.

“Move” she said and I got out and moved towards the passenger seat. She was in the driver’s seat now. I got in and sat down. She put the car in reverse and drove towards the pier that no one goes to anymore. We got out and sat at the end of the pier. For a long time neither of us talked.

“I’m sorry” I said and she moved my head to her chest. She knew I was going to cry and I did. She massaged my hair until I stopped crying. “My dad always wanted me to go to college for basketball” I muttered. She lifted my chin with one finger.

“That’s what your dad wanted. But your dad also wanted you to go to college for what you wanted. He always said it’s your life and no one could change that” she told me. She wiped away the tears that only she has seen. She kissed my head and hugged me. “Your dad will never be disappointed and I’m sure he’s looking down smiling that you at least tried” a tear rolled down her face. Thorn never had a dad and she looked to my dad as her dad. When his death came she cried as much as I did. Only Thorn has seen me cry and only I have seen her cry. “Alright enough tears” she said and got up. I got up too. I removed my shirt and we jumped into the cold lake.