Ace + Thorn = Love = Impossible

Chapter 6 - The meeting

I froze as she walked by. She kept walking and I sighed a breath of relief. But I withdrew my breath as I found she stopped and began walking backwards. I froze again as she stared at me. She started laughing and my lips twitched to attempt to stop from turning up. I couldn’t help it when she smiled I smiled. She tapped on the glass and motioned me outside. I came out and stood in front of her.

“What do you think you're doing?” Thorn asked. I shrugged and she laughed even more. “Why were you pretending to be a mannequin?” she asked wanting to know. “Oh well; where do you want to go to today?” she asked.

“I was thinking about going to a sports store” I told and she gave me a confused look. “I wanted to try out for football” and she burst into laughter. “Did I miss the joke?” I asked unsure of what to say.

“That was the joke! You are going to get flattened like a mosquito against a window on a highway. I'm going to say this the best way I can... you're going to die!” she coughed because she was laughing so hard.

“Thorn seriously you’re not funny” she rolled her eyes at my comment. She had a wide grin on her face like the world was in her hands and I don’t think that I wanted to ever change that.

“I'm the funniest person I know” she told me and I gasped. She bumped into me on purpose and I bumped her back… right into this guy. “I'm so sorry” she said bending over to pick up the items that guy dropped.

“It’s quite alright” he said in an English accent. As she picked up the last item they looked into each others eyes and smiled. I think I vomited inside when I saw that. “`Ello. My name is Eugene Callaway. Half English and half Scottish. Explains the accent eh?” He pronounced his name Ewgene. I had to bit my tongue to keep from laughing at him in general. He screamed loser.

“Hi I'm Thorn Kimberly” she smiled and I began to frown. She actually likes him!?! He grinned when she said her name. He had this lopsided grin that I wanted to purely smack off.

“Promise you wont prick me?” he asked and Thorn giggled blushing. The rush of the taste of bile showed how much I wanted to throw up. “How about you and I sit down for a cup of tea?” he asked. Wait, did he just ask her out? I walked over to a trash can and literally threw up.

“How about a double date? You and I and my friend Ace and whoever he brings?” she asked and I looked up. She did not just volunteer me. I hope to God almighty and any other god people believe in she didn’t just volunteer me.

“Sounds like a ripping time. Ill bring my sister, I'm sure they’ll make a fantastic couple” he asked and made a girl with blonde hair turn around. I wanted to scream when I saw her. She had horrible teeth and the same lopsided grin. Her hair was wiry and she had a huge hairy mole on her left cheek and an even smaller one beneath her lip. She had a nose that had more hills than Switzerland, and she had more red dots on her face than a five year old with chicken pox. Maybe that’s what she had instead of acne. She weighed at least 225 pounds. I hoped today was Halloween and I hoped that Ashton Kutcher would come out and say “You’ve been punked” and I waited… and nothing happened.

“You just call me anytime. She handed him a napkin with her phone number on it” she smiled and he kissed her on the hand then walked off with IT. “Are you okay? Why’d you throw up?” she asked rubbing my back.

“I saw something disturbing on so many levels” I told. She continued to massage my back as I leaned over the trash can.

“What was it?” I did my best to avoid the question.

“If I told you what had happened you would have wondered where you were when it happened” I said throwing up again at the memory.

We headed back to her house to play Halo again, like we did this past Saturday. I kept wondering what was going to happen. Would Ewgene ruin our friendship? Would he prevent her from talking to me? Would he make me kiss his sister? I shuddered at the thought. What would change? What would stay the same? Would the best friend rules change? Would the best friend routines change? What was going to happen? I felt my head spinning. Why was his sister so scary? Why did Thorn like him? What was so special about him? Did she give him a fake number? My eyes blinked and I realized this must be it. She must have given him a fake number! She must have! Thorn has never been the one to hurt people’s feelings. So she gave him a fake number. I've never been as proud of Thorn as I am right now.

Something blurred my vision and caused me to blink. Thorn was snapping her fingers in front of my face. She was getting ready to punch my arm when I jumped and screamed “I'm awake!”

“You're player has been sitting there for several rounds. I got tired of winning… and then I got bored. Then I heard the thump of the controller hitting the floor and I realized you were out of it… completely zoned out” she said and I smiled.

“I'm sorry” I apologized and she nodded yawning. I moved back and pulled her back with me. She laid down and put her head on my lap. It wasn’t five minutes after that that she fell asleep. I played with her hair and moved it out of her face. Something inside me made me feel weird and I couldn’t understand it. But instead of figuring out that feeling I fell asleep just like that with her head in my lap.