Let Me Give The World To You

VIII

Two of those delightfully small, distastefully deadly particles shoot through the windshield, shattering the glass all around us. A flurry of glass and rain falls down on us, heads flung forward as you slam the brake, the only instinctive move you can think of. I feel the bullets pierce my brain as they greet us from our side windows, slammed into from both sides as the bloody bit of metal that just soared through your skull flies through mine as well. You turn your face to mine, grinning while the blood pours down your face. I laugh, lean in to kiss you. My mouth tastes of metal as our blood mixes together, gunshots ringing around us. We collapse onto each other and the shots cease. They must think we're dead.

Hours later, you pull yourself off of me, having fallen into sleep. Both of us had. You return to your own seat, no pain flashing across your face as you rest your hand on a particularly sharp edge of glass. More blood pours from your body, fresh wounds to combat the earlier ones, long since healed. I said before, ex-Nobodies can't die. Not unless we ourselves will it--the ultimate form of shame, if you will. It seems the powers at be want us to suffer for as long as we can. But the soaring of chemicals through our mind--"pain" if you will, is just another high. And drugs never really did it for me.

No, it's nothing to us. The car suffered the most damage, but you abandon it. I've been able to tell by now, your job allows you to spend frivolously, live comfortably. You've always been the most intelligent person I know, it's not surprising that you would make the most of yourself in a setting such as this. But money hasn't bought you happiness now, has it? The old saying must hold true then--you can't buy love.

You flash a smile at me, fling open your car door. I follow your lead, slam it shut and gaze at you from across a bullet-pecked car roof, your face illuminated by a cheap yellow street light--there are no stars in this city, don't be ridiculous. You start laughing, almost like a maniac, your voice echoing along the now empty street, face thrown up to the dark sky. Your hair falls back, showing the whole of your face for once. You never look more beautiful then when you laugh. You kick your foot into the car, flip your bangs out of your eye.

"This thing...it's completely worthless to me now," you continue to laugh, your eyes meeting mine. How are they so bright in this darkness? But I slowly feel myself start to smile, to laugh along with you. I too take a swing at the car, giggling like a goon when I make a substantial dent in its side. Our laugher and the sounds of smashing metal are the only things echoing on this dark street, at who knows what ungodly hour of the night it must be by now. We both fall across the hood of the car, faces inches from each other. You take the initiative, eliminating that pocket of air and chemical ozone between us, melding your mouth with mine. I tug at your collar, pulling you closer until you climb over onto the top of the car roof, sprawling yourself on top of it before I pull you off of it and we fall behind dented doors, demented ex-vehicle shielding us from the gaze of any late night smokers peering out of their window. Neither of us cares to dominate, we both hold each other, trying to shield and fall into one another at the same time, in the same moment. I trail away from your face, moving my attention down to your neck.

The car alarm sounds.

I pull back, meet your expression, which is surely as bewildered as mine must look right now. We laugh, pick ourselves off the pavement, and trail on home, hand in hand, shadows on the street.