Status: Soon to update!

Tonight at the House of Blues

Home

It's 8 a.m.

I didn't care. This moment have never felt so real. I know my aunt Marie has been waiting for me for almost 20 minutes, but that wasn't a problem. I don't know why, but something kept me sitting here at the foot of my messy bed. For what felt like the 20th time, I traced the picture with my fingers.

It was mom. My lovable, sweet, caring mom. My mom who would do anything for my sake. My mom who always sacrificed too much for me that I would always feel guilty.

As I trace the worn-out picture with my fingers, every memory I had with her involuntarily flowed through my head. It all seemed so real...I felt like I was really touching her hair, her nose, and her rosy cheeks. She still looked the same. She was wearing her favorite red dress; it was her favorite color. She wasn't your ordinary mom. For me, she is the best mom that one could ever ask for.

Ever since I was born, she raised me without the help of a husband. I remember myself asking her often about him, and she would always say that he would come back. I knew he wouldn't...and it hurts her. Because of this, I grew closer to her. She became my life, my strength, and my guiding light.

But now, she's gone. Buried under the ground. Forever.

I wiped away the tears that fell down my cheeks.

"Hayley? What's taking you so long?", my aunt shouted from downstairs.

"I'm sorry. I coming, don't worry.", I shouted back.

"'kay. I'll get in the car."

As I stood up, I folded the faded picture and crammed it to my pocket.

Well then, here goes nothing.

***

My orange hair suddenly became a mess when I rolled down the car window. The cool air felt so good that I cocked my head out and rested my feet on the car seat.

"Welcome to Franklin, Hayley", my aunt said.

"Well, it's not that bad after all.", I said, my voice full of excitement.

She smiled at me.

"And, um, thanks for giving me a ride here. I really hope you don't mind."

"Nah, that's fine, dear. Your dad's gonna pick you up afterwards, anyway, so..."

Butterflies flew in my stomach. I hadn't been planning on this...I don't know what to do.

Facing dad.

It's been a very long time since I last saw him. If only mom was alive...

My aunt looked at me apologetically. "Oh I'm sorry, Hayley. I didn't mean to hurt you in any way...just look forward to your new life here in Tennessee. You'll go to a new school, meet new friends, and your dad has the cutest little house", she said encouragingly. "And look, your dad's here."

Misery suddenly left me as soon as I saw my dad waving from the front porch of his house. I sat up, gathered my belongings and got out from the car.

I can feel a smile frozen on my face as I walked towards Walter. It had been a really long time since I last saw my dad because of my parent's divorce. Dad hadn't changed much, he's still bald, wears a beard and wears his usual poloshirts, jeans, and sneakers. It was easy to tell that he just left his hardware store, he has his papers and his phone in his pockets.

"Hi, Dad!", I said, as I hugged him tight. What have I been so worried about? I forgot how much I loved my dad.

"'Sup, orange? What did I tell you about dyeing your hair orange?", he said as he giggled.

"I'm doing fine, now that you're here."

We heard a high-pitched voice clear her throat.

"Oh, sorry, aunt Mary."

"Take care, dear. You take care of her, Walter!", she accused.

We both rolled our eyes at her.

"So, I guess I'll see you soon.", aunt Mary said.

"You will", I promised.

My dad and I watched as she drove back to her house.

"So...what do you wanna do now?", my dad asked.

"I don't know, I just got here!", I said, still feeling a little worked up.

"How about I show you your new room?"

"Sounds cool."

As soon as we both walked in at my new home, memories suddenly filled my head. I can see my three-year old self run around the house, chasing my pet dog Bruce.

"Remember this place?"

I just smiled at him.

We went upstairs and into my new room. The room was small, the walls were covered with an orange wallpaper (obviously), my old CD rack was on a side and my study desk on another. A single window from above my bed shown light from the outside.

"What do you think? Do you like it?", dad asked excitedly.

I shook my head from side to side.

"Love it?"

I nodded.

"I'm glad you do. Well then, I better head out. If you need any help, just shout my name.", he said with a smile.

"Thanks, dad. I think I'm gonna like it here.", I said.

***

It's been only two days, but everything in this new home of mine is already settled. School, work, and home. I t was an easy pattern, though not necessarily in that order. I was glad that things are doing great so far.

"Hi! Welcome to Groove Juice.", I said at the customer in front of me.

"Hi. So, can I get a plain banana smoothie?", the boy said. He has a slightly frantic look in his eyes that made him look like a troubled man.

"Just a banana smoothie? Why don't you try our-"

"You heard what I said, orange.", he interrupted.

"O...kay. One banana smoothie coming up.", I said with a sharp voice. I gotta get used to that nickname if I want to have a normal life.

"Is...is that Twilight you're holding?", he asked curiously.

"W-what? This?", I said, indicating the battered vampire book in my left hand. "Yeah. Why?"

"N-nothing. It may sound weird coming from a guy, but I kinda like Twilight.". I thought I saw his cheeks blush.

"Really?"

"Yeah. Great book."

"Have you finished the whole saga?"

"Nope. Just Twilight." he said as he claimed his smoothie.

"I'm currently finishing the last chapter actually", I replied. Why am I talking to this stranger?

"Cool", he said as I handed him his change. "So, I guess I'll see you around."

"Um, sure. I'm Hayley", I said.

"I'm Josh. Josh Farro.", he said as we shook hands.
♠ ♠ ♠
Read! Comment! Subscribe!

-stockholm.syndrome.