Love and Broken Hearts

When It's Love

People say puppy love isn't real love.
I disagree.

Alex.
Third grade.
I remember Alex. He was my first 'love'. I watched him every day in class, he was so funny. He would yell things out in the middle of class that would make me laugh. He would smile at me, his eyes sparkling. I would smile back, my face would turn red, and my best friend Allie would laugh at me. He made me feel better. I needed it after my parent's recent divorce.
So when December came along, so did the Ho Ho Ho Down, the only/biggest dance of the year, I took my chance. I had Allie snoop around to see if he had a date, which he didn't. So I wrote him a note and snuck it in his desk. It said:
Alex,
Will you go to the Ho Ho Ho Down with me?
Love,
Elizabeth
He pulled it out of his desk, replied, and passed it back. It said YES.
I was overjoyed.
But when the Ho Ho Ho Down actually came, I sat the whole thing out without him noticing me once. I cried for the last 15 minutes, and he passed by without a second glance. But I forgave him. I thought I loved him.
In between Christmastime and Valentine's Day, Alex and I broke up several times, only to get back together. The week before Valentine's Day, he promised me a guitar and an amp to go with it. But two days before Valentine's Day, he broke up with me.
So, I had Allie and Callie threaten him to get back together with me, and he did. On Valentine's Day, he didn't give me a guitar or an amp. He gave me a bunch of chocolates, which I still have, and I gave him the same thing. Again, he ignored me, and again I ended up in tears. But the class listening to the mix-tape I made with love songs on it. Most of the songs were old hard rock, and he came up to me while When It's Love by Van Halen was playing. He hugged me, and told me that this was our song. And I agreed. It seemed fit, mainly because it was the song they played at my parents wedding.
I went home that night in a daze, replaying that song over and over again.
But not every day was so perfect. There were times when we would get in big fights and not get back together for weeks. But we usually did. He would give me a cute homemade card that said "I'm sorry, please go back out with me." and I'd agree.
Soon, our names were common together. Elizabeth and Alex, Alex and Elizabeth. And I couldn't be happier.
We made quite the couple. We always traded homework when we checked it, and we would change the wrong answers to the right ones for each other. We never held hands or kissed, but he made it obvious that we belonged to each other. He would call me hot in front of his friends. I beamed.
Fourth grade came and went in the same fashion. Once, after a big fight, we broke up and it stayed that way for over a month. I started to feel insignificant, what was so wrong with me that I couldn't even keep Alex?
He asked me out after seeing how sickly and depressed I had become, but it was just out of pity. We weren't close at all. We never talked or passed notes. He was just there. I was just there, but we weren't together. I broke up with him, and neither of us cared. I was actually happier.
I realize now that this wasn't love, but it was a crush. It truly was a puppy love.
Then a new kid showed up at school one day, but that's a different story completely...
<3
♠ ♠ ♠
Title credit goes to Van Halen.
Comments?
<3