Status: Completed

You Belong With Me

Secrets Revealed

“Can I get you anything to eat?” Esme offers.

“No,” I sigh and look at the floor. I feel alone even though there are so many people around me. The truth is, there is only one person I want beside me right now. I almost NEED him. I don't know why I feel so connected to this boy I barely know, I just know that's how I feel.

And then the door opens and my heart starts pounding. It's like seeing an angel. There he is...Jacob. He smiles and I almost melt. I don't even know what to do. Should I go talk to him or should I just leave him alone? I don't want to mess up and make him leave again. “Hey,” he says to me.

“Hey,” I mumble.

“So I heard Bella told you about the cullens,” His voice lowers and takes on a more serious tone.

“Yeah...vampires. Who would have thought?” I joke around a bit.

“So...do you have any questions for me?”

“Well...why are the Quileutes and vampires enemies?”

“The legend says that the Quileutes are desended from wolves. And when the cold ones, the vampires, first showed up it was because they were hunting on our land. They killed our own people. That is why the treaty ended up being made. They had to stay away from us and hunt on their own land.”

“Wait...wolves?”

He laughs. “It's just a legend, right? The part about them killing our people is true though. That's why we became enemies. But now...it's different.”

“Oh....Okay. Thanks Jake.”

At night I toss and turn in bed. I can't sleep with questions still on my mind. If every part of the treaty is right why isn't the wolf part? And if it is true what exactly does that mean? I don't understand this!

I get angry because I am confused. I start yelling at Bella and demanding answers. She looks nervous. “Okay, I'm not supposed to tell you this but you deserve to know. The Quileutes really do have a wolf gene.”

“What does that mean?”

“It means that they are werewolves. Not the women but the men. They reach a certain
age and they change. That's why Jacob looks so big for his age. He changed. But they didn't always change. It's because there are so many vampires close to them it triggers the wolf gene.”

My head is spinning. Jacob's a werewolf! Werewolf and vampires and....all of this is just too weird. “Are you okay Dakota?”

“Yeah, I'm fine. I'm gonna' go find Jacob. I think we need to talk.”

“Okay....”

Jacob is surprised when we talk on the beach. “You really honestly don't mind that I morph into a giant dog?” He questions.

“No, I don't.”

He smiles. I smile too. We hug. I breathe in his unique scent. I am so happy to be back
in his arms. I never want to leave.

“I'm sorry Dakota. A lot happened that you don't know about and I didn't know what to do. I just needed some time to get my self together. Okay?”

I nod. “I missed you.”

“I missed you too.”

He finally lets me go. “There's a lot we need to talk about,” he tells me. I follow him to the others. I am kind of surprised to see everyone there. “Dakota, this is the pack. We are all wolves as you know. You're a quileute male which means...” he takes a deep breath before finishing. “You'll change too.”

My heart is pounding in my chest. “What?”

“The Quileute males alll change when they are around vampires. There are two new ones, Bella and Renesmee. This means you'll be changing soon,” Sam answers.

“But by my age shouldn't I-”

“There's no exact age...it just builds and builds and then suddenly...sometimes if you get really upset or something, that can trigger it early,” Jake informs me.

I don't know what to do. My whole life was a lie. I fall to my knees and sob. Jacob hesitantly walks over and rubs my back, kneeling beside me. “Why would he keep this from me?”

“He wanted to protect you from it. He didn't want you to have to be a wolf.”

“But that's who I am. He lied to me about everything!”

He knows I am talking about my dad. “Dakota...I'm sorry,” he just hugs me.