Let Me Be Your Wings, Let Me Be Your Only Love

Leave behind the world you know

To everyone else she was just a girl. A person they would walk past in the hallway, a face that sat behind everyone in the classes. Shy, reserved, timid. Tiny and almost invisible.

Until he came along. He was her everything. And she was his. And she was no longer invisible.

Everything we're dreaming of will soon be ours…

But then he left. And she was left alone, surrounded by thousands of people, asking about him. And every time someone mentions his name, she would close her eyes, answering that she don’t know him.

The guy that was smiling from TV was not the same guy she knew. He was not the same guy she fell in love with. Because he lied. He promised to always be there for her, and after high school’s over, they would run away together, far away from city streetlights.

In a way, he fulfilled his promise. After he graduated, he left with his friends, leaving streetlights and her behind. He was not the guy she used to know.

In a moving mass of teenagers, she was just another one. Her feet took her to her destination. Classroom was filled with kids talking and laughing. She took her spot behind everyone, placing her books on the cold wooden table.

“Everything set for tonight? You coming right?” A tall boy stood in front of her, dark hair, pleading eyes.

“Yeah, sure,” she responded with a sigh.

“I knew you wouldn’t stand me up,” the boy exclaimed and quickly kissed her cheek, before running away to take his seat.

Sometimes I think he likes me only because of my voice.

“I can’t do this anymore Todd,” the words came out slowly from her lips, almost as if she was afraid of him. He looked at her, blank expression on his face.

“What do you mean, you can’t do this? We’re depending on you Natalie!”

“I can’t take it, because there are four of you, doing nothing at all, and I bust my head about everything. I just can’t.” The four set of eyes followed her small frame as she exited the house, away from hypocrite people.

I'll never let you fall…

She promised herself that she would never let anyone hurt her. Never again. And yet, she fell again for the same words, and ended up with the same old scars, old wound opened again.

“Come on Natalie, it would be fun. It’s just a dance,” a pair of brown eyes asked. He smiled, but that smiled never reached his eyes.

“I don’t know…” she trailed. In the back of her mind, there was still a glint of hope that he might come back. With a deep sigh, she agreed to go with the boy whose smile wasn’t sincere. She knew that she will eventually regret doing that, but the thoughts of the past was occupying her mind, and she needed something to forget. Even if that meant another disappointment.

“Look at you, you are disguising. Why did you even bother coming here? Did you really think that you could be one of us? Newsflash honey, we don’t want losers like you hanging around.”

Her eyes were filled with tears, but she swallowed them and turned her back, leaving the pretenders behind. She knew it would end up that way. But she choose to believe that people can change.

She looked at the boy with fake smile playing on his lips, realizing that he was one of them. He didn’t wanted to be around her, he just wanted to make fun of her.

We'll see the universe and dance on Saturn's rings…

She ran away, far away, for as long as her feet could carry her. Far from the streetlights, broken promises, broken hearts.

“Are you okay dear?” The voice was sweet, warm and full of sympathy. Her teary eyes met another pair of soft eyes. The woman held her hand for tiny girl, never breaking her gaze.

Her hands were rough, but soft at the same time, and Natalie couldn’t help but wonder why did this woman took care of her, when world rejected her. It wasn’t long before Natalie opened herself to a complete stranger. It was something she never did. But it was different this time.

“Ah this boy will be perfect for you. He even has his own company and all. You two would be such a great couple,” the woman gushed.

He was everything but the way woman described him. He lived alone, he lived for his work, his face was pale. He was the absolute opposite from everything Natalie wanted in a boy. But most of all he wasn’t him.

Get ready for another world of wondrous things…

Time has passed, seasons changed, her hope of him coming back for her died long ago.

She looked at herself in the mirror before stepping out the small room, walking towards the men who loved her. Even then, she was uncertain about what she was doing. She was grateful to him for getting her from the bottom she hit, but for what price? Promising yourself to someone you don’t love is what she didn’t wanted to do. She didn’t wanted to ruin his life, because she was unable to love him back.

“I’m sorry, I can’t…” She ran out, Sun illuminating her pale face and small frame. And she ran again.

The only difference this time is that she was determined to change her life the way she wanted it. But true love happens once in a lifetime. It happens when two hearts become one. And they even think the same.

He was standing across the road, looking the same as he did when he left. Her heart stopped beating. She couldn’t believe her eyes. Slowly, she walked over to him, afraid that if she blinks he would disappear. They were so close to each other, both hearts beating so loud.

“What are you doing here?” She whispered.

“I came back for you. Just like I promised,” he smiled. His smile was real, so real it made his eyes sparkle.

“You’re too late Spencer. I gave up hoping that you would come a long time ago. You can’t just bump one day and decide that it’s time to take me away.”

Her words hurt both of them. But the smile on Spencer’s face was still there.

“I know, but if you give me another chance I promise, and this time I will keep my promise, that everything will be like it was supposed to,” he kneeled down, getting out small velvet coated box. “It’s a promise ring. I wanted to show you that this time I would stay with you no matter what. Leaving you was the biggest mistake of my life, and if I could go back in time I would never leave streetlights. I would never leave you.”

She looked at the boy kneeling in front of her, his words were full with hope and truth.

“Please Natalie.”

She grabbed his arm, pulling him to a standing position before connecting her lips to his.

“Does this answers your question?” She said smiling for the first time.

And for the first time, in a long time she felt happy and complete.

Heaven isn't too far, heaven is where you are.
Stay with me and you will be my wings.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments are always appreciated