There's So Many Things That I Want You to Know

So the Tale Begins

Mariella slammed her books down on the desk. Her twin sister glanced up, shocked by the abrupt entrance. When Ella didn't speak, the latter sighed.

"What'd the annoying, jerk-face, asshole Derek do now?"

"He told Renae he'd had sex with me. That's what that piece of shit did now!"

Marissa looked properly astounded, angry, and annoyed. "He did not!"

"Did! God, could he get any more desperate? I mean, seriously! Lying about having sex with someone is despicable."

"Girls, come here."

"Money time!" the twins squealed quietly, in unison.

Every Friday, their father would give them each two hundreds dollars to spend on whatever they chose. Marissa was wise with hers; she stuck half in a bank account where it would gather interest. Ella usually spent all of hers on clothes, CDs, and her car. When they reached the living room, however, their parents' faces were strained.

"What's up?" Ella questioned, flopping onto the couch.

"Well, first, get your feet off the seat cushion. Second, you remember how your father's job requires him to travel a lot?"

"Well, duh."

"Ella."

"Sorry. Yes?"

"His firm is giving him an option of always traveling or taking up a permanent residence."

"What's the downside of this?"

"The 'permanent residence' is in Canada."

"Oh. Not too bad. So what? We'll have to used to cold weather."

"Will you let Mom finish talking?" Marissa snapped before turning back. "There's more, isn't there?"

"Yes. We'll have to split up. Two will stay behind to finish the packing. The other two will have to get the house ready to move into."

Half an hour later, the two girls were lying on their beds, still talking. Ella unexpectedly sat up.

"Does this mean we're not getting money?"

"Dude, just shut up about the money, okay? Who's gonna go with Dad?"

"I dunno," she shrugged.

"El, you go. You know I'm not brave enough to go by myself. You scope it out, then tell me what it's like."

"Riss, we've never been apart. Like, ever. This is scary, even for me, the fearless, rebellious, adventurous twin."

"Then think of how terrifying it is for me, the fearful, complacent, cautious one."

"Fine. I'll go first."

Mariella tossed her last bag into the trunk of the car, hugged her mother, and stared into Marissa's eyes. They embraced quickly, Ella not being a lovey kind of girl to show emotions. Her father said his good-byes, and Ella grinned.

"See ya in two weeks, sis."

"Bye, El."

And so Mariella was off to experience Canada first-hand without her sister. It was bound to be an adventure and a half in itself.