There's So Many Things That I Want You to Know

Fresh

"Dad, seriously, I've gotta pee and feed my belly."

"Stop complaining, please, Mariella."

"Then stop at Denny's."

"We've got to get halway there, a.k.a. the hotel, by nine in the morning."

"I'll drive from Denny's to the hotel."

"Ma--"

"Dad, I've had my license for almost two years. I'm fine with driving."

"Fine. No wrecking."

"Yeah, like I'll go, oh, a tree; let's ram into it just 'cause Dad said not to! Give me some credit."

She ordered pancakes with toast and hash-browns, while her father got ancakes, bacon and sausage, eggs, and coffee. Despite his protests, she told the waitress to get him a juice instead.

"Dad, you need sleep, not to be wired all night."

They ate in silence, Ella grimacing inwardly each time he took a bite of the pork on his platter. She'd been vegetarian since she was eight; being the only non-omnivore in her entire family got stressful and irksom, especially around holidays, but she stuck to it.

The drive to the hotel took less time than if her father had been driving, but she also went over the speed limit. She checked in, woke her father, and headed to the room. He immediately fell back asleep, but she couldn't seem to calm her nerves. She'd never been so far away from Rissa, the sister she'd shared womb and then room with for seventeen years and nine months. How was she going to make it two more weeks without her?

"This is the house?"

"Yeah. What's wrong with it?"

"Dad, it's. . .fresh. It's posh. It's. . .a palace!"

"Just go chose your room."

The expansive foyer led to a grand staircase that split off into two directions. To the left was only one bedroom and a bathroom - Definitely Mom's and Dad's, she thought as she headed in the opposite direction. There were three closed doors: Two were bedrooms, the third another bathroom. She went into one bedroom and gasped. The large bay window overlooked a garden; there was even a seat to perch on when she wanted to gaze out. A large closet was to the right. She definitely saw potential with this room. Maybe posh wasn't too bad.