There's So Many Things That I Want You to Know

Apologising to Make Things Right

The two weeks dragged by, but eventually Mom and Rissa arrived. I helped unpack everything, which kept my mind off of what might've been with Ellie and her group of friends. Rissa noticed my subdued behaviour almost immediately - right after her shock at our house.

"Still upset with those girls?"

"Sorta."

"Ella, it's been fourteen days. Time to put it in the past."

"I've tried apologising, but they're all iced with me."

"I would be, too, if you called me a flake."

"But they said---"

"Do you even know if they were talking about you specifically?"

"Well . . ."

"Hmmm?"

"No."

"There ya go. You need to ask them, get the story straight. If they were talking about you, then you can be mad. If not, you were holding a grudge for all the wrong reasons."

"Damn it, Rissa. Why must you always make sense?"

"'Cause you never do."

Monday came too soon. We stood at the corner, waiting for the bus and Ellie. I turned to Marissa.

"I'll meet you by the main office, 'kay?"

"Okay. Let me know what happens."

I leaned down to look into the passenger window of Ellie's Camaro. "Can I get a ride?"

"You're talking to me now?"

"There's some things I need to discuss."

"It's 'there are,' but sure, get in."

"So, um, my first day, you guys were so nice to me. I couldn't understand why you turned around and talked dirt about me."

"We were actually talking about a cat."

"What?"

"Yeah. I'd found a kitten the day before, and the girls wanted to know where I'd found her. Poor thing was starving, shivering, and shaking. Hence the 'charity case' statement."

"Oh, Ellie, I'm so sorry."

"It's okay."

"Why were you all so iced with me?"

"To see how long it'd take for you to get the real story from any of us."

"Now I feel stupid."

"Don't. We all make mistakes." She glanced at me over the top of her car. "You sitting with us today at lunch?"

"Sure."

"Score."

I walked with Marissa to her first class: French. She gave me a nervous grin but went inside. I saw Diane strolling in the same direction I needed to go. I called her name and hurried to catch up.

"Oh. Hi."

"Look, I apologised to Ellie, but I'll gladly say sorry to you, too."

"No need. I'm leaving this school anyway."

I stared at the petite blonde. "What?"

"Yeah. Mom re-married."

"Oh. Well, please let me make things right before you leave."

"Make things right? Seriously?"

"Yes. I'm serious as a fatal heart attack."

"Fine," she laughed. "Come help me pack tonight. Ellie'll pick you up."

"Alright."

"Get to class. I heard you had Monsieur DuPont."

"Yup."

"Ella, how nice of you to finally join us."

"Sorry, sir. I was showing my sister to her class, which is on the totally opposite side of the school."

"So the other Miss Lyons showed up? That's good," he said, smiling.

"Yeah." I grinned back. "Sorry."

"It's okay. Be on time tomorrow."

I sat next to Chuck. "Please hear me out. I'm sorry. I was angry with the girls for a stupid reason, and I took it out on all of you guys. I apologised to Ellie, Diane, and now you."

I bit my lip as I finally got some reaction. He set his book down, stared at me, and then . . .

He smiled.

"I forgive you. Next time, don't jump to conclusions, eh?"

"Yes, sir!" I mock-saluted before facing the front.