My Life As Sienna Brown

Part 10

He turned back around and hugged me again. "You okay? They didn't hurt you did they?"

I shook my head, "I'm fine. Where were you? I came back and you weren't there... and you never told no one where you were... and I couldn't find you... and I wanted to talk to you, but you weren't there, and-"

He put his finger to my lips. "It's okay, I was here; and you're pretty damn lucky I was too. Who knows what would have happened. Now what's wrong?"

I sat on the ground. "I don’t know. I didn't want to go on a date... but I had to, and it was stupid. He took me to this stupid poetry cafe... and then he drove me to the park and bought me a milkshake- the same one we always have... and he kept trying to talk to me- but I just wanted him to go away... then when he drove me home, he tried to kiss me and I didn't want him to... then my mom wasn't home again. She always does that- she always just leaves. And then Heather said you were gone after she started talking to me... but I didn't want to talk to her- I just wanted to talk to you. And then I thought you were mad at me... and I never knew why... and... and,"I sighed.

"Wait. Geek boy tried to kiss you?"

I nodded. "Yea, but I didn't want him to, then I slammed the door in his face, and mom wasn't home again and you weren't there, and I thought maybe you were still mad at me and I didn't even know why you were mad at me..." My brain was spinning in circles and I was trying to organize all my words into sentences, and now it was making my brain hurt.

The next time I looked up, my heart sank at he sight of a lit cigarette balanced between his top lip and his lip ring. At first I thought I was seeing things, until I shook my head a few times and realized this was a very real image. "Frank! What the hell!"

I reached out and pulled it from his mouth, only to have him pull it back and place it back in his mouth saying, "Give that back dammit, you're going to burn yourself!"

I tried my best to just concentrate on getting my breathing back to normal. "Frankie! What the hell? When did this start?" He looked down at the grass; or maybe at the closest tombstone, ashamed as my eyes burned a whole right through him. "Frank- answer me," I choked.

He mumbled something before answering, "It's not that big a deal. It's been going on for a while- and I'm not sorry about it. I'm only sorry I never told you. It's not like I smoke all the time or think it's cool, if I did everyone would know about it. I only do it because... because it helps me think straight," and he took another drag before looking up at me, then back down.

I thought for a second, and then, grasping the smoke from his hand, I proved my brain wasn't working.

I inhaled and choked on the burning feeling of smoke, then watched as more of it then I've ever seen in my life, came out my mouth, then I felt a wave of nausea roll over me and I stood up alarmingly, trying to find a respectful place to 'toss my cookies'. I dropped the cigarette on the ground and leaned over the fence. Right when I flew over the fence, sending all I'd had on that date up my throat, Frank grabbed me from behind and started dragging my down the path leading away from the cemetery and down the road, surprisingly walking right past his house. I couldn't help but coughing the whole time, still seeing smoke come up in puffs around my face.

Frank was muttering silent things to himself, as his hands grasped the back of my jacket and continued pulling me down my street, going too fast for the speed I felt like consuming at the time. He kicked open my front door and pulled me inside the back door, stomping through the living room, where Matt continued to play his games without even looking up and where the guys were sleeping. He flipped on the light as he stepped in the kitchen and dropped me in a chair by the table, where across from me, Heather sat drinking coffee. "What happened," she asked looking up at Frank, who was spinning around the kitchen, pulling things out of drawers and cupboards.

He then answered, "Too much for anyone to consume!" And he ran the tap as I continued to choke on the air I now thought was clear as Heather took her glass and left the room, rolling her eyes.