My Life As Sienna Brown

Part 122

We all walked together down the hall where Mikey slowly opened a door to a room that was bright an encased in windows. Incubators sat in rows across the room and Anna and I paused at the window, and watched as Mikey dragged his feet over to a sink and washed his hands once more- he was sanitizing them. I had heard about it... premature babies couldn't be touched with germ infested hands.

He then walked across the room and stopped infront of the large incubator closest to the wall. And he stood there for a very long time- staring at it. Just staring down through the plastic to the child beneath. I watched as he started up again, bringing his hand to his mouth and walking around in a frustrated circle.

I squeezed Anna's hand and opened the door, walking across the room to my friend. I peered curiously inside the glass tank to a chicken-looking creature no bigger than my hand. It was Mikey's brand new baby boy.

I looked at Sienna who just peered down it in an almost troubled manner. How could something so small cause such a horrible event? She just watched it- with an expression that I unltimately couldn't describe. And Mikey... Mikey was looking at the floor once more.

I understood why- this baby reminded him too much of Heather. And right now... was just too soon. I nudged Sienna, who looked over at Mikey in his nervous state and wandered over to him.

She whispered something in his ear and hugged him tightly. She was always better at comforting people. I was never that good at making people feel better when they're sad. Come to think of it- I really wasn't good at a whole lot.

Anna's POV

"I'll miss her too," I told him, clinging closely to Mikey's body, trying to steady out his nervous quivers. I had never seen Mikey cry before- at least not like this. I remember when I had first met him, a lot shorter than he is now. I remembered the happy-go-lucky grin he used to put on.

"Smile," I asked. He shook his head and looked to the floor, dropping lost tears to invisible puddles on the floor. "Common, just a little one. It can be pretend," I remarked.

"I can't," he cried. "I don't think I could ever smile again."

"That's not true," I remarked, ignoring the fact that I almost felt the same way. "Do you think Heather would like it if you were never happy again?" Hot tears rolled down my face- reminding me that I would never see my friend alive again.

Mikey shook his head.

"Well then," I implied.

He looked at my shyly, and tried to force out a smile from the corner of his mouth.

I hugged him again, almost not wanting to let go. Being afraid for the future. Afraid of what could happen. But then I noticed that there was a ray of hope shining through all the doubt. It was just an obstacle. A test. And I would make sure that we would all make it through- despite how hard I found it to think, let alone breathe straight...