My Life As Sienna Brown

Part 123

Frank's POV
Two weeks later; Heather's funeral

I know, it's weird... two whole weeks before the funeral had actually happened. It just so happened, that it took a day or two for Mikey to be able to get a hold of Heather's parents, who were away on a business trip. Everyone had agreed that a lot of thought had to go into this- it had to be perfect. A funeral was more important than any birthday... it celebrated someone's life as a whole, along with all of their experiences and all of their accomplishments. We had to interpret every aspect of Heather into one service.

I looked up from my hands to the front of the church. I was sitting in the second row, between Sienna and Bob. Sienna sat next to Gerard, who was sitting behind Mikey. He, along with Heather's family was sitting infront of us: her parents, and her aunts & uncles. I couldn't look at Mikey- at least not directly. He was such a good guy... and... he really didn't deserve any of this. Nobody did.

Heather's parents craddled into eachother, with crumpled tissue in the palms of their hands.
I watched as her mother got up for the first eulogy, telling little stories of Heather's childhood, bringing tears to everyone's eyes. But I knew that wasn't what more than half the audience was waiting for.

It was about ten minutes before it came time for Mikey to make his way up to the microphone. We all watched in dead silence as he stood there for at least a minute of silence. Then he started off:

"I... I never prepared a speech. I decided that I would just come up here and be able to recall things that would make everyone feel that much better. But I can't. Because we all know how greath Heather was- we all know what she's like... and what she's done for us. I know that my most memorable moment is different than each of yours. And... I just wish that she was here, because I know she could make things so much better.

I remember that day we all packed up our bags and threw them into the back of Gerard's car before we all piled in ourselves. I remember us pulling down that dirt road as the rain fell down, and debating whether or not to turn back. It was Frank who managed to convince us all to go. The sandwiches and chips got soggy, and we all dared Bob to eat them. Then we took that hike... and I fell in a patch on poison ivy. Everyone continued on their journey- except Heather. She stayed behind with me.

And we've been inceperable ever since that day. And that's why I don't know how I'm going to do this now..."


And he continued on with his stories. And everyone listened attentively, tears running down their faces. Even me. I sat there and squeezed Anna's hand tightly- feeling a comfort that I knew had been taken away from Mikey. Something that had to be rebuilt.