My Life As Sienna Brown

Part 58

I was slowly starting to doze off, and every time I realized I was, I shake my head a few times. "Ten minutes until visiting hours are over," I heard a loud voice say from the hallway.

I sighed and looked down at Frank. If only he'd wake up one more time... just long enough to say goodbye. He's going to have to stay here alone all night, with a bunch of ugly nurses poking their heads in the door every once and a while. I reached out and grabbed his hand, feeling it slightly squeeze back, and then I smiled.

"You're still here."

"Of course, why would I be anywhere else?"

A small smirk started at the corner of his lips. "Oh there are tons of reasons. Maybe wanting to sleep, or eat, or study. Or being sick of seeing my face... cause you know, you're allowed to be sick of seeing my face."

"You have no idea," I joked.

"Why, do I really look that bad?"

"No, of course not- you can never look that bad."

"Are you going to school tomorrow," Frank asked, changing the subject.

I shook my head, "No, I coming back here."

"Better be careful, or people are going to think you like it here."

"Yea right, this place gives me the creeps..."

"Then go home."

"But it's worth it, because you're here. Would you rather be here all alone?"

"No... I'm just saying- you don't have to stay here because of me."

"Well, I want to," I said and snuggled up against his arm as I crept up on the bed beside him and leaned my head on his shoulder. "Because I love you."

"Want to know a secret," Frank asked.

"Sure," I smiled.

"But you can't tell anyone."

I smiled, "I won't." "Are you sure?" "I promise."

"Well," he started and whispered close to my ear. "I wish you could stay here too. Because... I love you too."

"That's not a secret- everyone knows that."

"Really, everyone?"

"Well... maybe not everyone. But I knew that."

"Well... that's good- I hoped you knew that."

"Frankie, I'm sorry. I really am. If I never asked you to walk me home... this wouldn't have even happened."

"Anna, it's not your fault. You can't say it wouldn't have happened... that's probably not true. And who knows... if it wasn't me- it might have been you. You got to get used to this shit- we don't live in a picture perfect suburbia. Well- I don't."

"Neither do I."

"Pretty damn close. All I'm trying to say is that...the world is a dangerous place- Me today, some old man tomorrow, a twenty year old model the day after that. Who knows, maybe some business guy got mugged yesterday. Just be careful, okay?"