Sequel: Jagged Edge

Painful Lullaby

I'll Admit That I'm A Fool

Everything was silent. Adam picked at his food, no longer bothering to waste his time glaring at me. Donny wasn't saying anything, probably trying not to make things more awkward than they already were. I quietly waiting for Jag to noiselessly finished our breakfast.

Jag set my meal down in front of me, taking a seat next to Donny and I. I started eating, as did Jag. It was a little hard to swallow at first, but it was quickly becoming easier.

"Is nobody going to talk or are we gonna be awkward for the rest of our lives?" Jag demanded. Nobody answered, so I just kept eating.

"Alright then, I guess we're gonna be forever awkward." Jag muttered, taking another bite of his toast. I heard someone sniff, and I looked over at Adam. He was crying again, and I knew it was all my fault. If I'd never gone to that concert, we wouldn't be having this problem right now. Adam and Jag could be happy together. I should just leave now, but I couldn't. Jag wanted me here, he needed me here.

"Adam, stop it! I cannot take another moment of your incessant sniveling!" Donny yelled, throwing down his fork. Jag smiled, then started laughing.

"What the hell, Jag?" Donny yelled, turning to shoot his piercing glare at Jag.

"I didn't know you knew words as big as that!" Jag giggled, and I started, too. His giggle was contagious.

"You're acting just like little fucking kids!" Donny glared, but his tone had lightened up a little.

"Oh, live a little, Donny!" Jag retorted between giggles. Donny shook his head and muttered something about amateurs. Even Adam was smiling.

"Look, Adam," Jag addressed, "you knew it wasn't going to work, correct?"

Adam gazed at Jag with puffy, red eyes. He nodded.

"Well, then stop crying about it. I promised you that I'd give it a try, and I didn't break that promise. I had a feeling that it wasn't gonna work, I mean, I still liked Roxie. If you're so upset about it, maybe we can have Roxie's friends come back over," Jag smirked.

"That Zoe girl seemed nice," Adam mused, his mind going elsewhere. He seemed calmer now. I smiled at Jag who returned it. Things were working out, I suppose.

"Oh, yeah, leave me out of the action!" Donny complained.

"Dude, they're like, four years younger than you!" Jag exclaimed. I giggled.

"A guy still has his urges," Donny muttered, and I burst out laughing. That had to be the best thing I'd heard all month. Everyone looked at me like I was crazy.

"I'm sorry...everyone but Brandy is single. But she'll probably flirt with all of you, so watch out." I warned. They seemed to find that pretty funny. They probably just thought I was joking. Let me tell you, I wasn't. Brandy was one of the biggest flirts I knew.

"Well, I guess it's not so awkward anymore," Adam pointed out. I quickly finished my toast and started drinking my coffee.

"So, what's the plan for today?" Donny asked.

"Probably just chillin' and letting Roxie recover," Jag replied.

"Do you want me to stay in case she goes into shock or something?"

"Nah, I think I can handle her. If I really need help, you're right next door."

"Don't talk about me like I'm not here!" I complained. They just laughed at me. Guys were not easy creatures to be around.

"Well, Adam, you ready to get out of here?" Donny asked, pushing his chair back and beginning to clear his place at the table.

"Yep," Adam answered. He also cleared his place.

"See you later Jag, Roxie," Donny called.

"Bye Donny!" We called back in unison.

"Later Jag," Adam said, heading for the door.

"Later, dude."

"Bye Roxie." It surprised me that he said goodbye to me.

"Bye, Adam."

Adam and Donny left, engulfing the house in silence. If things were awkward between Adam, Jag, and I, then it was even painfully so between just Jag and I. I just wished we could be a normal couple with the normal drama, not something as big as a mentally unstable girl and her sweet but confused boyfriend. If we were even together.
♠ ♠ ♠
Title credit goes to Take Me Home by After Midnight Project.
This one was really hard to write, for some reason.
Check out my new slash, Circumstance Is Dire. (please!)
Comments are still doin'.
xoxo.