Sequel: Jagged Edge

Painful Lullaby

Oh, Choke Back Tears

I fought back the tears as I went and rang the door bell of Donny's house. There were footsteps, and then the door swung open.

"Hi, I was wondering if Donny was home," I said to the woman who opened the door.

"Sure thing, sweety," she said to me, then turned to face the house, "DONNY!"

"What, ma?" Donny called from somewhere in the house.

"Door's for you!" She called. She smiled at me as we waited. Donny bounded out of a hallway, coming to meet me at the door.

"Hey, Roxie!" He greeted. His mom walked back into the house.

"Hi Donny. I just came to say that I'm sorry for yelling at you. And to get my stuff back from Jag," I apologized.

"S'okay. Is it really for good this time?" Donny asked. Concern was etched into his face.

"I don't know. He said he didn't want me back, and he's got Brandy over there right now," I answered. My heart started aching as soon as I thought of it.

"I know. He came and told me about it. I'm on your side...being pregnant's no easy thing, and he's being such a dick about it, using that girl as a rebound," Donny said.

"They're using each other," I stated.

"Excuse me?"

"Brandy's using him as a rebound, too. To get Alex jealous. As soon as he sees her with Jag, he's gonna want her back, and she's gonna get with him," I explained, knowing that this happens a lot.

"Where are you gonna stay? My house is always welcome."

"Thanks for the offer, but I don't want to be tempted by Jag. Besides, I think that I'm staying with Eva," I told him.

"Eva?"

"Oh, I met her yesterday...or was it today? Whatever. I met her and she's getting my stuff from Jag right now." As I said it, Eva huffed out of Jag's house carrying all my bags.

"You can't call the police because my dad is the police!" Eva yelled as she walked over to me.

"Get the hell out of here!" Jag yelled back. Eva didn't say anything, but she did stick her tongue out at him and flip him off. I couldn't help but laugh at her.

"So Donny, this is Eva. Eva, this is Donny," I introduced them.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Donny." Eva shook his hand. The phone rang from somewhere in the house.

"Donny, it's Veronica!" Donny's mom called, appearing with the phone.

"See you later," I said, smirking at Donny. He waved to us.

"Alright Miss Roxie, let's go home," Eva said, picking up her bike. I picked up one of the bags and Eva took the other.

The ride back to Eva's was a lot more talkative as Eva described every word that Jag and Brandy said. She decided that the only reason Jag didn't call the police was because her reason there was justified. I didn't say much, which is the reason why Eva kept talking. She could sense my feelings, knowing that the last thing I wanted to do was talk about Jag, so she changed the subject.

She told me to follow her lead, and then she started singing. I sang along with her, trying to keep my mind on anything that didn't hurt. Eva would ask if I knew the song, and if I did, we would sing it. I knew a lot of the songs that she asked me about.

I had to hand it to her, she knew how to keep my mind off of things.
♠ ♠ ♠
Title credit goes to There's A Good Reason These Tables Are Numbered Honey, You Just Haven't Thought Of It Yet by Panic At The Disco.
ATTENTION:
I have a few things that I'd like to tell you.
-I made a link to a picture of Eva on the summary. I also changed the picture of Roxie to one that's bigger.
-We've got...100 READERS!
Party time, fer sure.
xoxo.