Sequel: Jagged Edge

Painful Lullaby

Bad News For You

_____1 Week Later_____

Today marked a milestone in my pregnancy. Or so Jag told me. The baby's heart beats for the first time. I don't know why, but this made me sad. Maybe it was more nervous, but I couldn't be sure.

Jag had gone out to get the mail while I cleaned the dishes from our breakfast. Or lunch because 12:30 PM isn't exactly morning. Jag came back in just as I was drying my hands. He handed me a letter and then looked through his stuff. It wasn't every day that I got a letter. It must be school stuff or something. But there was no return address, just my name and address. Jag was at the table reading his mail, so I opened mine where I stood. I didn't recognize the handwriting, but I soon found out who it was. I gasped as I read it, but was captivated. I didn't want to quit reading it.

My Roxie,
My parent's found the note you wrote them, how sneaky you are, running away and giving everybody notes. There was only one flaw with your plan. I know where you live! Running away from the person who knows exactly where you are... Such a silly mistake, love.
The note you wrote my parents made them send me to a psychiatric home for a while. I acted my way out, and now I see a therapist and take pills to calm myself. But you see, I don't take the pills sometimes. My mom just sets them there, and I sneak them out and throw them away. She'll never know. You won't tell them, will you Roxie?
Anyway, my parents were quite shook up over the lie you told them, that I raped you. Dear, haven't you heard the saying 'you can't rape the willing'? As I remember, you were all but against it when I went for you. Hell, you even seemed happy about it.
I want to see you. I want to touch you again, to be near you. I hope tonight won't be a bad time. I'll seen you then.
I Love You,
Eva. <3


At the end of the letter, I dropped in and walked away, as if it had a self destruct mode after it was read. Jag looked up at me and jumped up when he seen my face. He started wiping away the tears I didn't know I had.

"Roxie! Roxie, what's wrong?" He asked me. For a moment, I couldn't' speak. I couldn't even breathe.

"She's coming for me!" I wailed. He clutched me to his chest and let me cry my heart out. Eventually, he pulled away and went to read the letter. He covered his mouth with his hand as he read it.

"What the fuck does she think she's doing!?" He yelled and threw the letter down on the counter. He ran his hands through his hair and moaned.

"Maybe she's just trying to scare me into going back with her," I said, but it sounded more like I was trying to convince myself. Jag shook his head.

"We're just going to have to wait to find out if it's a joke or not. Now come on, why don't we watch a movie or something," Jag offered. I nodded, so we went upstairs to Jag's room to pick one out. I headed straight for the movies that weren't scary. I picked up Twilight, then remembered the epic James-stalking-Bella shit and put it back. I decided on The Crow, my favorite movie of all time. Sure, it's not exactly 'happy' but it was my favorite. And the only stalking that was going on was for revenge for a dead lover, not exactly what Eva's got in mind. I hoped.

"I wanna watch this," I said, trying to yank the DVD out and hand it to Jag at the same time, but failing. I knocked a bunch of DVD's off the shelf, including The Crow and smashed myself in the face with my own hand. Jag burst out laughing and I followed his lead quickly. Only I could make a mess like this and still manage to punch myself in the face. Well, I guess Zoe is more than capable of doing this, too.

"I don't think we can watch all of these!" Jag said between laughs, pointing at the giant mess on the floor. I started laughing harder. So hard in fact, that I sat down on the floor because my body was convulsing. While I was on the floor, I yanked The Crow off of the floor and flung my hand up in the air. I heard a smacking noise as I felt the DVD hit something. I looked up to see that I'd hit Jag in the face.

"Oh, my God, I'm so sorry!" I exclaimed, but started laughing really hard. I got up to see the damage. Jag burst out laughing, too. I grabbed his face and kissed it all over. "There, all better," I exclaimed when suddenly, something caught my eye. I kneeled down on the floor and set down The Crow.

"I think that movie is bad luck," Jag said, rubbing his face. But I didn't hear him very well. I had picked up the DVD and got up to put it in the player. As it began to play, I jumped on the bed with Jag and curled up to him. The only movie that could beat The Crow was Life On The Murder Scene. The movie brought back so many amazing memories that it almost hurt to think of them.

"I love Frank Iero," I swooned as the Frank section came on.

"Oh, yeah. Sure, just forget about me," Jag said. I kissed him on the cheek.

"Frankie's a little too old for me," I said.

"You just called him Frankie!"

"So?"

"That's like...a nickname."

"I could call him Knarf."

"Wait, what? Why?"

"It's his name backwards."

"Oh..."

"Yekim Yaw."

"What?!"

"Mikey Way backwards." He turned to me, and we both burst out laughing. I'm sure we were the only couple who fought like best friends. I mean, the only other person who would fight with me about this was Zoe. We focused on the movie. I started reciting the lines, much to Jag's enjoyment. After it finished, we fell asleep together.

__________

There was a tap at the window. Then another. And another. I got up and looked out. A small pebble hit the window. I looked down and seen Eva standing there. She held up a sign that said 'I'm here!' I shut the shades and jumped on the bed. I heard the front door open.

"Jag! Jag! Wake the fuck up!" I whisper-shouted as I shook him violently. He jumped awake and looked at me.

"What?" He asked.

"She's here. In the house," I hissed. He jumped up.

"Get in the bathroom and lock the door. Don't let anyone in," he directed, then handed me the phone. "Call the police."

Jag grabbed a baseball bat and headed out of the room. I ran into the bathroom and turned on the phone. It worked slowly, but at least it was working. I dialed the number as I heard muffled talking downstairs.

"This is 911. How may I help you?"

"This is Roxie Fischer. My uh...ex-best friend broke into my house. I'm afraid," I said helplessly as I broke into hysterics.

"Please calm down ma'am, and give us your address." I recited the address twice, and then they assured me a police officer was on the way. Suddenly, I heard a yell and a gunshot. I was pretty sure the world as I knew it was over.
♠ ♠ ♠
Title credit goes to Bad News by Dear and The Headlights.
I'm begging you: please oh please, I need ideas.
xoxo.