Charisma

Two.

The next morning I woke up to my pillow suddenly vibrating. I sat up yawning and looked down at my pillow, realizing that my phone was underneath there. But why did I have a phone call so early in the morning?

“Hello?” I realized my voice was weak from just waking up.

“Charisma?”

“Yeah, who is this?”

“Billie Joe, from, uh, yesterday?” I smiled because he sounded nervous, like I wouldn't remember him.

“Sweetie, I know who you are. I just didn't recognize your voice over the phone.” He chuckled, which made me to smile.

“Well I'm glad.”

“What's up?” I asked, realizing I didn't have anything to say to that.

“Well, honestly, I'm just getting ready for work. I decided to call you so I didn't have to suffer alone.” He laughed shakily.

“Suffer? Suffer from what?”

“Being awake at nine in the morning.” He explained, causing me to uproar in slap-happy laughter. I had only gone to bed an hour or so prior to this phone call.

“Well thank you for being so kind.”

“You're welcome.” I noticed I didn't have much to say after his short answers. Maybe I was nervous, or he was, so he wasn't expanding on conversation as he did yesterday.

“Where do you work?”

“I'm a waiter at an Italian restaurant called Little Tony's.” I could tell he was reluctant to answer the question.

“Really? That doesn't sound too bad.”

“It isn't, but could you see me waiting on people? Especially in a romantic, cozy Italian restaurant?” We both burst into laughter at the same time, apparently we were picturing the same thing.

“Well, I don't know you that well, yet, Billie. But, I want a job!”

“They're hiring at a place called The Coffee Corner, it's in the same strip mall that Little Tony's is, you should check it out.”

“I think I might just do that.” I admitted honestly.

“If you do really decide to, you should come visit me, since it's on the the way. You know you're dying to see this handsome face again.” I just knew he had a smirk on his face.

“Oh, guilty. You know me so well, Billie.”

“I do, don't I?”

“You wish. But I will stop in to say hello after I'm done there,” Then I realized I didn't even know where it was. “Where...is this strip mall located?”

“I do wish, to be serious for a moment. Bu it's on the corner of Thornburg and Main.”

“Oh, thanks. What would be the best time to go?”

“Noon or so.”

“Well, alright. Thanks Billie, again.”

“You're welcome. I gotta go, though. See you later, new friend.”

I smiled. “Goodbye, new friend.”

I shut my phone and immediately laid back down, that's when I realized how tired I actually was. I closed my eyes and was on the verge of sleep when I heard a light knock at my door.

“Hm?” I groaned loud enough for them to hear.

“Oh, blimey. Are you sleeping? I thought I heard you talking.” My sisters voice came from my doorway.

“I was on the phone. I'll talk to you in a few hours, though.” I closed my eyes again.

“Alright, sleep tight.”

I was asleep before I heard my door close.

* * *

I walked downstairs a few hours after Billie's phone call. My dad, Joe Strummer, and my mom were sitting at the dining room table reading and drinking tea.

“Morning, sleeping beauty!” My mom said; she was beaming.

“You're awfully chipper.” I said, opening the refrigerator and grabbing a carton of orange juice.

“I've got a photo shoot!” She exclaimed. It would be her first photo shoot since she arrived, which was three weeks ahead of me. My mother was a photographer for various models and magazines.

“Congratulations! And hello, daddy.” I smiled at my best friend. He looked up from his newspaper and smiled.

“Hello, Charis. Did you get your records?”

“Yeah, funny story about that.”

“What's that?”

“I met a guy, and he bought them for me. He insisted it be a gift.”

My father smiled. “How generous. What's his name?”

“Billie Joe. We ended up spending a few hours together, and we rode the train an hour away just to eat lunch!” My mother looked nervous, but my father was psyched. He was always doing crazy things, I knew where I got it from.

“That's great, darling! What are your plans for the day?”

“Billie told me about a place hiring because I want to get a job. Then I am going to post fliers for the auditions.”

“Have a good time.” My dad said, looking back down at his paper. I was lucky to have his attention for that long while he was reading.

“Thanks, I will.” I put the carton back into the fridge and walked over to the island where my car keys were sitting in a bowl. I said my goodbyes to my family and headed out toward the garage.

* * *

I pulled into the parking lot that was in front of The Coffee Corner and parked in the closest spot. It had taken me fifteen minutes to find the correct strip mall. I noticed the hanging 'Help Wanted' sign as I entered the coffee shop, which was filled with people.

I walked up to the counter and waited for somebody to notice that I was there. A tall boy with light brown hair turned and smiled at me.

“Hi, how can I help you today?” He had bright blue eyes and an inviting smile.

“Hi, I heard you were hiring?”

“Oh, yeah! Would you like an application?”

“Please.” I smiled.

He reached under the cash register and pulled out a application. When I reached for it, my thumb overlapped his for only a quick second, but I saw him jump a little.

“Here you are.” He smiled, brushing his not-too-shaggy hair out of his eyes.

“Thanks, uh, is it possible I could also get a coffee as well?”

“Sure thing! For here or to go?” I looked over my shoulder quickly and noticed an empty table.

“For here, please.”

I paid for my drink and moved out of the way so others could order. A girl placed a cup of steaming coffee in front of me.

“Coffee?”

“Yes, thank you.”

“You're welcome! Have a good day.” I placed the application in my bag before carefully grabbing the cup of hot coffee. I walked over to a different counter that had things that I could add to my drink.

As I was grabbing my cup, somebody bumped into me and my coffee seemed to jumped out of the cup and onto my shirt.

“Oh, I'm so sorry!” I heard a familiar voice say. I looked over to my left and saw the boy who gave me the application.

“It's okay, mistakes happen.” I said, truly alright with what had happened. I grabbed some napkins and tried my best to wipe it off.

“Thanks for being so understanding, but I am still really sorry. I wasn't paying attention to where I was going.” He grabbed more napkins and handed them to me.

“Thanks, and it's okay. Just...watch where you walk next time, is my only advice.”

He laughed. “Thanks, I will. I'm Mike, by the way.” I threw the napkins into the built-in trash and looked at Mike.

“I'm Charisma.”

“How about I get you a new coffee?” He asked, taking my now empty cup.

“I don't have any more money with me--” I began to say.

“Oh, don't worry. It's free! Just have a seat and I'll bring it to you momentarily.” He smiled before he disappeared behind the counter.

I took a seat at the table I had first seen and sure enough, Mike brought my new cup of coffee.

“Thanks.” I said as he placed it down in front of me. He sat down in the chair across from me.

“Mind if I sit?” I shook my head and took a sip of the coffee.

“I'm on my break now, and figured I'd come talk to the girl I just had an awkward first encounter with.” He smiled sheepishly.

I laughed. “It's okay. And, yeah, what a way to meet a person for the first time, huh?”

“Tell me about it. We'll be hanging out one day and I'll introduce you to a friend of mine and they'll say, 'Oh, how did you two meet?' and I can go on to took like a dumb ass for the rest of the night, remembering my clumsiness.” I laughed hard enough at his story that I had to cover my mouth, which caused him to smile.

“That's quite the story. I'm sorry you will have to come out feeling like a dumb ass though.”

He laughed. “It's quite alright. So you have a British accent.”

“I do.”

“Are you new in town?” I laughed; should have figured that's what he meant.

“Yeah, I arrived about three days ago.”

“What brings you to Berkeley?”

“My dad wants to move out here, we're currently renting a house. I'm only here a month, unless we find a permanent house to live in.” I took a few more sips of my coffee.

“Well, I think I found the right person to bump into. If you'd like to have one hell of a good month, you should hang with me and my friends.” I smiled.

“People here, or the ones I have met, are quite friendly. Five minutes into our conversation, you're already inviting me to be friends with you.”

“Well, I'm one of the nicest people in this town.” He winked.

“Something tells me not to fully believe that statement.”

“Well...once you meet my two best friends...just let me know if you do.” He laughed.

“Thank you for being so inviting, I could really use some more familiar faces.”

“How many people do you know so far?”

“Just one. He was quite friendly and inviting himself.”

“Well, I'd ask for his name but I don't want to know my competition.” He winked, which caused me to smile.

I looked at a clock behind Mike, it was already half passed one. I was late going to visit Billie.

“Oh, bollocks. I have to go.” I took the last sip of my coffee and stood up, as did Mike.

“Where are you going?” He looked a little hurt at my sudden outburst.

“I promised that friend I would visit him at work. I'm sorry, I really would love to stay...but I hate breaking promises.”

“Oh, well, bring in that application soon, will you? It's easy to get hired here, and you seem friendly enough to get the job with only one interview.” His compliment caused me to smile.

“Thank you, Mike. I'll bring it in tomorrow, are you working?”

“Sadly, I am.” He picked up the empty cup and smiled at me one last time before returning to work. I looked at the clock once more and mentally slapped myself again for being late.
♠ ♠ ♠
Every chapter (beside the first) will be in Charisma's point of view unless said otherwise.

Some feedback would be nice. I would like to know what you think of the story so far. Should I continue?

Thanks so much for reading!