Charisma

Twenty-eight.

Relaxing water beat down on my back as I rinsed out my hair a final time. It was my first shower since our second show at Gilman the previous night and it was refreshing to finally feel clean.

Stepping out of the shower, I noticed my towel was farther away then I remembered. Slowly stepping across the green marble floor, I instinctively looked at the silver full-length mirror hanging on the yellow wall. I stopped dead in my tracks when I saw it - a small bump.

Not changing my direction, I slid closer toward the mirror. I lightly placed my hands on my stomach, grabbing slightly at the new found fat on my once flat stomach. My breath caught in my throat as I realized I was suddenly gaining weight. I never thought I would see the day.

"Holy crap." I muttered to myself, not able to pull my gaze off of my body.

"Charisma?" A light knock on the bathroom door startled me. Realizing I was still completely revealed, I quickened my pace as I reached the counter and threw the soft green towel around my body.

"It's open!" I hollered, reaching up to wipe the fog off of the mirror.

The bathroom door opened and my sister popped her head into the room.

"Bollocks! I didn't realize you were just showered. Dad is looking for you, though." She sheepishly smiled before pulling her head out of the doorway and shut the door behind her.

A half hour later I found my dad downstairs in the living room, packing.

"Dad, what's going on?" I asked, sitting down on the edge of the couch.

My dad jumped at the sound of my voice, causing me to smile slightly. He put down the picture frame he was wrapping in newspaper and turned to face me. He cleared his throat and I couldn't help but worry about what he was about to say.

"We're going back to England."

My heart stopped momentarily as I stared at my father.

"What?" I screeched, my voice breaking.

My dad sighed. "We, as in, your mother, sisters, and I." Still not better.

"You didn't find a house you liked?" I pleaded.

"We did," He explained, "But your mother got a call yesterday from a wedding designer in need of a photographer."

"I'm speechless." I muttered, falling back into the couch. I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

My dad frowned. "You aren't going to be alone, Charis."

I ignored his statement. "Is it a good job?"

"The best offer she has had yet."

I tried to feel happy for my mom, but I couldn't stop thinking about the fact I would be here alone. Without my family.

"Well, I'm glad." I forced myself to say.

My dad joined me on the couch and snaked his arm around my shoulder, bringing me close.

"I know you a little too well, Charis. You aren't fooling anyone with that attitude. I know this is a gigantic step for someone your age, so if you are not one-hundred percent sure you want to do this, you need to start thinking things over right now because you do have a deadline." He gave my arm a slight squeeze before standing back up.

"You're right," I sighed, "But in the meantime, can we have a house show here tonight? Green Day and The Offbeats want to play a show together."

My dad chuckled. "Aren't you supposed to play an acoustic set with Billie in a few hours?"

"Is there a rule as to how many times you can perform in a day?" I joked.

"No, but I don't want you to wear yourself out just to have some fun."

I rolled my eyes. "Dad, I think I will be fine,"

As if to prove me wrong, my stomach turned violently and I cried out in pain as I wrapped my arms around my waist.

"Bollocks!" I yelled, squeezing my eyes shut tightly as the urge to throw up grew bigger.

"Charisma, are you alright?" My dad's voice was filled with concern, but I was in too much pain to reply. I sprung up from the couch and ran into the kitchen, pulling open the garbage can.

As familiar gagging noises filled my ears, my dad's soft footsteps were heard on the aluminum floor and I felt his hands grab my hair out of my face. I took in a deep breath as my heart pounded in my ears and I rested my head on my forearm.

"I think I have food poisoning." I sighed, opening my eyes as I straightened.

"I don't recommend playing tonight." My dad offered.

I nodded. "Yeah. I think I need to go tell my manager that I can't do it. I would like to avoid public embarrassment if I can."

My dad chuckled as he patted my back lightly and I wiped my mouth with the back of my hand.

"You should go right now then."

I nodded silently as I started toward the foyer to grab my jacket.

The familiar bell rung as I pushed the door to the Coffee Corner open, the natural cool breeze blowing my hair back. I headed toward the familiar counter where Mike and Amy were chatting happily together.

"Hey there lovebirds." I greeted, smiling.

"Hi Charisma, long time no see." Mike joked, winking as Amy waved.

"Is Ryan around?" I asked, standing up my tippy-toes to try and see into the small window of the door that led to the break room.

"Yeah, he's in his office. What's up?" Amy asked while Mike went to retrieve Ryan for me.

"I threw up before coming over here. I have to cancel the acoustic set." I muttered, running a hand through my hair.

"You threw up again?"

"How did you know?" I furrowed my eyebrows as Mike and Ryan appeared from his office.

"Billie talked to Mike. He's real worried about you." She smiled halfheartedly.

"Charisma! What can I do for you?" Ryan greeted with a friendly smile.

"I'm not feeling too well Ryan, I think I may need to reschedule tonights performance." I ran my hand through my hair once more, feeling guilty for backing out.

"Are you still sick?" He asked.

I glanced at Mike, who smiled sheepishly. "Yeah, yeah, I am. I threw up right before I came over here."

The bell rung throughout the cafe and I turned to see Billie walking toward us. He furrowed his eyebrows once he noticed I was present and stopped next to me once he reached the counter.

"Baby girl, what are you doing here?" He snaked his arm around my waist and pulled me close, kissing the top of my head.

"I had to cancel tonight." I turned in his grasp and he furrowed his eyebrows once again.

"How come?"

"Sick." I sighed, smiling unenthusiastically.

He frowned and kissed the top of my head again.

"Are we still on for tonight?"

"The party? Yeah. I need to head back soon and help set up."

"I'll come with," He turned to Mike, "Do you get off soon?"

"At seven." He nodded.

"See you then." Billie confirmed, pulling me with him as he turned back the way he came.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm not incredibly happy with the quality, but at least I got an update out. It's been a while since I wrote an update for this story, so I'm a little rusty.

This story is almost complete, though. I think there are about four chapters left until the sequel.

Thanks for reading!