Black Fire

Rememberance

I shut the door quietly as I entered my house. I closed my eyes and sighed as my 208 years weighed down on me. Briefly, I flashed back to the beginning...

I was 7 and playing in the field about a mile away when the Hunters came.

I had left to go play with Mary, my friend. We loved to play in the fields that were close enough to our house that our parents couldn't worry.

I played with Mary as usual, and we had both started to go home. She went her way, and I went mine. I could see my house within a few minutes. Right after this, I realized that something was off about my house. The front window looked like it was broken, and the front door hung crooked on its hinges, like it had been blasted open.

I started to run. What was going on?

"Mommy? Daddy?" I called as I entered the house. There was no response, save for the slight echo of my voice.

A tiny charred piece of paper floated in from out of nowhere. Being the curious child I was, I went to go pick it up.

On one side, there was a poem.

Beware
The Hunters are coming
Beware Beware
The Hunters will get you
Beware Beware
Be you surix, shifter, vampire beast
Beware Beware
The Hunters will catch you
Beware


At the bottom was a weird-looking symbol. I turned the paper over in my hands, looking for anything on the back.

What was there made me drop the paper.

Your parents are dead
Beware Beware
You will be next
Beware Beware


A strangled cry escaped my throat and tears began to pour down my cheeks. Almost in a daze, I turned my back on my house and slowly walked to the town, the only other place I knew. About two miles down the road, a lady saw me. An instant later, I recognized her as she ran towards me with her arms open. She was Mary's mother.

"What's wrong, darling Nioella? What are you doing way out here all by yourself?" She asked, holding me close.

"Mommy--and Daddy...they're....they're....dead!!"

"Oh dear child. You don't know how much I wish I could take you in. But with Mary, and the twins...I'm sorry dear Nioella, but I just don't have the room. But don't you worry. We'll find you a place." And they did. They asked around town until finally a family took me in. My new foster mother was named Sarah, and she had a son my age named Kellan.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm cutting it off here, but there's more in Naomi's P.O.V. to come.