Status: Complete

Perfect Denial

Hopeless Dream Chaser

Ace played a beat on the drums in the silent room closely followed by the expert plucking of the bass strings by Gil as he pulled the strap over his head.

Dana smiled at her friends and fellow band mates as they messed around in the small room given to them for free time in between recording for their very first album Screwed, Stewed and Tattooed.

It had been eight months ago when Dana had bumped into her old neighbour Cody, only recognisable by his infectious laughter and ice blue eyes. She could recall fond memories of the hot summers with him eating ice lollies as six year olds and playing Barbies in the long green grass of her back yard, not thinking twice about the many hospital visits her mother was partaking in.

In less than a week of reuniting with Cody, he had invited her into The Static Undertones as their much needed lead singer.

She had been surprised at the huge following they had been able to gather on their Myspace and even further when they were approached by the record label…

Dana had almost had a heart seizure when David Jost had walked into the room on their very first meeting, announcing himself as their new manager. But it soon became clear to Dana that Dave didn’t remember her. She was relieved as that certainly avoided those horrible awkward questions but she couldn’t help but wonder was she that forgettable?

She lay her head down on Cody’s lap and closed her eyes as he absentmindly ran his hands through her long auburn tendrils of hair.

But not even the normally relaxing hands of Cody or the cheerful laughter of Ace and Gil could ease the queasy feeling that had settled in Danas stomach the moment she had stepped foot in the same studios that Tokio Hotel were recording in…

At any moment she knew he could turn the corner, meet her eye and stop her heart all over again. He would see for himself the miserable wreck of a girl she had become. Or worse he could walk by her, her face little more than a blank page in his memory…he could have forgotten her…

The tempo of the jam in the room increased and it finally settled into a familiar song which made Dana smile and anticipate the coming words

“Dana! Sing!” Gil shouted over the beat of Aces’ drums.

She shook her head, licking her lip ring but Cody stood up, pulling her along “Come on Dana, sing for us!”

She broke into laughter as Cody leapt over the couch to grab his new black Gibson guitar and join the opening riff of “Dreamchaser”

Dana rolled her eyes but nevertheless picked up her water bottle and held it as a microphone and straddled a chair, her back to the door and started to sing the notes she had so recently created with a pen and paper

“Have you ever fallen asleep…

Not wanting to wake up?

Have you ever started to weep…

‘Cause your life’s just not enough?”


The guitar cords increased in time as the drum roll introduced the chorus and Cody stuck his tongue out playfully, sliding closer to Dana to join her in the chorus

“Everynight I chase my dreams

As they run away from me…

Everynight I chase my dreams

End-less-ly…”


Dana smirked as she felt the familiar rush of joy run through her body that only music could bring and she shook her hips as Ace whooped, tossing up his drumsticks, catching them in mid-air before bringing them down on the surface of his canvas…

Dana raised the bottle to her lips and closed her eyes, imagining hundreds of lights upon her in a huge stadium, thousands of fans singing along to the words she had created

“Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser

A hopeless Dreamchaser!”


She opened her eyes and saw Cody stop playing, his eyes on the door behind her.

She turned and felt her heartbeat splutter to a stop and her face grow completely still at the familiar figure leaning in the doorway…Bill

He stood, a small smile on his face as he surveyed the room, looking perfect as always, his beautiful lips curled deliciously.

He walked in, closely followed by Tom, Georg and Gustav

“Tokio Hotel!” Cody stated breathlessly, before turning an awed gaze to Tom, his idol…

Tom sent a cheery wave to Dana and Georg smiled “Great song!”

She didn’t say anything, still frozen in place looking at Bill before remembering what she was doing and turning her back suddenly, grabbing her bag and rifling through it, cursing her shaking hands.

Bill stepped over to where she was, as the others quickly started a conversation with the rest of Dana’s band mates. He tried to breathe in her toxic scent, resisting the urge to grab her and draw her close to his body like before.

She hadn’t changed from afar apart from the presence of the black lip ring but as Bill looked closer he noticed the differences in her appearance.

Her hair was still long and shining as always but her previously sun kissed skin was now looking dull and dry, the tan still there but looking as if it barely saw the light anymore. There were dark circles under her eyes, making her sickly pale face look gaunt and scary…she appeared to not have slept in a week.

He watched as she took out a packet of aspirin and quickly popped two of the small white tablets into her mouth, followed closely by a gulp of water. Bill raised his eyebrow

She frowned “You’re giving me a headache” she muttered in a voice laced with venom.

She turned her gaze to him and Bill almost flinched away. Her eyes which had so often been filled with a beautiful light of joy and laughter were now floating with a haunted dead look…

What had happened to the Dana he knew and loved? Gustav’s words came floating into his ears “She’s changed. She’s not the same girl you fell in love with...She’s completely broken”

She moved away from him, towards the open door…

“I never knew you could sing” he said in a quiet voice

She stopped dead, and with a whisper only he could hear

“You never asked”
♠ ♠ ♠
Gi(God,he's hotttttt!)

Cody

Ace

Image