Pas de Deux?

Chapter 13

She was overreacting. Obviously he didn’t want to have her right there in the dressing room. He just wanted to kiss, he’d said so himself. Violet paced mercilessly outside the back of the theatre trying to calm herself down. She’d blown everything out of proportion and then she’d just walked away, leaving Kris to stand there with a look of confusion on his face. Like either of them needed this right now. She sat down on the curb, frantically trying to keep the tears that were brimming in her eyes from falling. Partly, because she knew crying wouldn’t solve anything, and partly because she didn’t want to have to redo her makeup. As she was trying to figure out what she was going to say to fix the situation, the back door swung open, nearly smacking her in the face.

“Violet?”

“Yes Max?” she sighed heavily.

“What happened to Tanger? He’s completely incoherent. It’s like he got run over by a dump truck but it only squished half his brain!”

“Are you mad at me?”

“Why would I be mad at you mon cherie? I just can’t help Tanger fix whatever it is that he’s done if I can’t understand what he’s rambling on about.”

“It’s nothing. I’m just being stupid.”

“If it was nothing, Uncle Maxie would have stayed inside where all the girls in little costumes are. Now talk or I will tickle it out of you!” he said, grabbing for her foot.

“Ok. Um, well Kris and I were in my dressing room and I was finished putting my makeup on, so I asked Kris how I looked. Only he didn’t answer because he was trying to remember the dance and then I said I would help him…”

“Wait did you have music because I’ve looking for a cd player to practice with all morning.”

“No- and then he pulled me into the dressing room…”

“Wait, I think I saw Rhea and Jordo with the cd player, did you know that they’ve been hooking up this whole time?”

“Max! Wait, really? I knew she was up to something. So then…”

“Totally, I saw them coming out of Rhea’s dressing room and let’s just say that pink is not Jordo’s colour.”

“Max!” Violet said, completely exasperated.

“Ok, ok, I’ll stop. Let me guess, Kris made you think that he wanted to have sex with you, only you’ve never done it before and now you’re completely freaking out. Am I right?”

“It is that obvious?” Violet asked quietly as she fiddled with a stick from the curbside.

“It’s a classic story. Boy meets girl, boy falls in love with girl. Boy is a boy so he wants girl. Boy is a knob and can’t keep it in his pants. Boy scares girl off. Girl goes to hot French best friend for advice while boy freaks out. Hot French friend tells girl to go and talk to boy. It happens all the time. But seriously Vi. It is really so unfathomable to you that he might actually want you. I mean, I know you’re not used to getting attention like that but he’s not trying to hurt you. He just lost control for a moment, which between you and me, is something he’s been struggling since he met you. And I don’t blame him. You look hot in your little workout outfit,” he finished with a wink.

Violet could only stare with her mouth hanging open.

“And also, you know Tanger would never force you do to anything you didn’t want to. Just go talk to him before he internally combusts. That is if he hasn’t already.”

“But what do I say?”

“Whatever you think you need to my dear” he said, hoisting Violet up off the curbing and ushering her through the now open door.

As soon as they were inside, Max ran off, tracking the noise from a cd player in Kitty’s room. Violet hesitantly went to her own dressing room, but Kris was no where to be found. She made her way to the empty stage where some of the tech boys were checking the lights. Like hell he’d be out there by himself. Sighing heavily, she walked to the rehearsal hall. Sure enough, when she opened the door there were Ashley and Kris dancing away. Well, it wasn’t really dancing because Kris just kind of stood still while Ashley slinked her way around him. He looked miserable and was having even more difficulty remembering the steps then before. Since his back was to her, Violet watched for a while trying to find the right words to tell him how she felt. Nothing came to her mind and she felt sick at the thought of having nothing to say to Kris when she really wanted to blurt out everything. She wanted to say that he had just scared her because no one had ever really treated her like that before. That was it really. He’d just caught her off guard and she didn’t know how to react. It wasn’t the end of the world when she thought about it. But how do you say that without sounding like a completely social misfit?

“Violet! How are we looking here?” Ashley squeaked out as she ran her hands down Kris’ back and right over his bottom.

“Um, good.” That was all she could muster.

At hearing her name, Kris turned around immediately, searching Violet for some sort of sign that would tell him that she didn’t completely hate him. They stood staring at each other anxiously for a few seconds, waiting for Ashley to take a hint and leave.

“Ashley, I think your makeup is running,” Kris said, keeping his eyes locked on Violet.

“Oh no! Well I better go fix that so that all the boys will remember why I’m the hottest,” she said wiggling her eyebrows.

As soon as Ashley was out the door, Kris walked towards Violet, not really knowing what to expect from her.

“Ok. Violet, please just let me get this out and then you can yell at me if that’s what you came here for.”

“I didn’t come to yell Kris” she said softly, straightening the collar on his shirt. Kris took her hand from where it had been a second earlier and put it between his own two hands.

“I love you Vi. I think your sweet and kind, and I love the way you look at me all confused when I speak French and the way you like to snuggle when you’re really tired. And they way you look completely beautiful in just about everything. Forgive a guy for losing control. I just wanted to show you how much I love you. I didn’t mean to frighten you off.”

“I know Kris. I over reacted. It’s just, well, you know, you’d be the first and I was nervous because I figured that I could decide when it was happening, but then there we were and I just didn’t know…” she trailed off, searching his beautiful brown eyes for signs of regret. She didn't find any.

“What do you think if maybe we just slow down a bit?” Kris asked.

Violet nodded thankfully.

“So, are we ok then?” Kris asked, tucking a stray curl behind her ear.

“Yes, I think so Mr. Letang,” Violet replied as Kris took her into a hug and kissed the top of her head.

“Wait, but is kissing still allowed because I think I’m starting to feel nervous again,” Kris teased.

“Yes, kissing is good,” she replied as she reached up on her tip toes to place a gentle kiss on her boyfriend’s lips.

“I hate to interrupt the lovefest but Anya’s yelling at us to get changed Tanger!” came Max’s voice, seemingly from nowhere.

They found a pair of lips in the crack of the doorway, but they were not the right colour. Definitely man lips, but they were bright pink. Dear Lord.

“Max what are you doing?” Violet laughed.

“Just wanted to make sure you kids were alright, what with the almost sex and all.” Was he trying to embarrass them?

“Why are your lips pink?” Kris asked, changing the subject.

“I lost a bet. Did you know that seals do have ears even though you can’t see them?”

Violet and Kris only looked at each other and laughed before walking to their dressing rooms to get changed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ok, so i have officially ruined this story. This is not what i planned, but here it is anyways. I hope you don't hate it =( I think there will be one more chapter after this and then i will be finished butchering it.

But on a more pleasant note, i'd be happy to take requests for one shots if anyone enjoys my writing and thinks they might like a story. Leave me a message and i'll see what i can do. And i promise i won't ruin it =)

Bon nuit!