Pas de Deux?

Chapter 14

Violet winked at Kris as she shut the door to her dressing room, finally feeling calm again, or as calm as one could be before the big show. She was always a little anxious before a performance, but she knew that once her music started, she’d find her special place and just dance. She’d forget every worry, every fear and she’d just show everyone who she really was. That was the goal each and every time she stepped out onto a stage…oh, and not falling or forgetting the steps. Those were big ones too. She pulled her lavender dress over her head, adjusting the straps so that the skirt fell just right. She fluffed her hair one last time and reapplied her lipstick, which she nearly covered her cheek in, when an overzealous knocking almost broke down her door. Before she could answer it, Max rushed inside and quickly slammed it shut, sinking to the floor.

“Vi…*gasp*…I don’t think…*gasp*…so many people…*gasp*…” he weezed. Violet knelt down beside her hysterical friend.

“Max, it’ll be alright. I promise. You play hockey in front of 18, 000 people. If you have to, just pretend everyone is in their underpants,” she said, petting his head softly.

“Well there was this hot blond in the front row. I wonder what kind of panties she has on this evening…” he said thoughtfully.

“Well, maybe if you do well, you can find out.” Max did a double take, grabbing Violet by the shoulders and shaking her.

“Who are you and what have you done with my sweet little Violet?”

“It’s your fault Maxie…you’ve corrupted me,” she giggled.

“Well you’ve learned from the best. My work here is done,” he said proudly, laying his hand across his heart.

“Feeling better now?” Violet asked.

“I think so but you wouldn’t happen to have a paper bag hidden in that little dress of yours would you?”

“Sorry, it’s in my other costume,” she said with a wink.

They were interrupted by a knock on the door. It was Andy, the stage manager, coming to inform Violet that the show was beginning and that she was on in five minutes. She took one last glance in the mirror, received two thumbs up from Max and dashed down the corridor to find Kris. She found him sitting in his dressing room, thumbing through the evening’s program. She knocked lightly on the open door, suddenly very excited.

“So, I’m on in about three minutes” she said, hoping that Kris would come and watch her from backstage.

“Yeah?” he smiled, getting up from his chair.

“Yeah. But I’m feeling a little nervous. Do you think you might be able to help me with that?”

“I sure can love. Come here!”

She literally skipped to Kris and jumped into his arms as he gave her a sweet kiss.

“Thanks you sir, I feel much better already!” she laughed before taking off backstage.

She wasn’t sure if Kris had followed her until she walked out onstage and turned to face the proper direction. When she did, she saw Kris peaking out from behind the wings, a proud look on face. Max was there of course too, chatting up one of the tech girls who happened to be wearing a very low cut top. She winked from across the stage and Kris winked back, smiling broadly. And then the music started. When it was all finished, the lights went dim and Violet ran backstage where she was met by Kitty, Rhea and the boys.

“Oh my little girl! I’m just so proud!” Max fake cried, taking Violet into one of those crazy/overbearing stage mom hugs. “She’s just so grown up” he muttered, dapping away at his fake tears. Still short of breath, Violet could barely laugh though her little body was trying its hardest.

“Honestly Vi. You were amazing,” Kitty said.

“Thanks guys,” Violet replied, as she slowly began to catch her breath.

“Um, Max? Can I have my girlfriend back now?” Kris asked.

“If you must,” Max replied picking Violet up and handing her to Kris bridal style.

Kris set her down, handed her a water bottle and a towel and then took her small hand in his so that they could go back to the rehearsal hall to relax. They made small talk for a short time, while Violet sat in Kris lap so that she could rest her ankle. She watched one last rehearsal with the company, and was feeling so great that she didn’t even care when Ashley’s lips “accidentally” fell onto Kris’s chest. The boys looked so hilarious in their costumes and she couldn’t help but laugh when Andy came back to get the group for the closing routine. Each and every one of the boys looked to the skies above, praying that lightening would strike them dead within the next ten seconds.

“Kris!” she called before he was ushered out of the room. Unleashing himself from Ashley’s talons, Kris ran to Violet and took her right hand in his. Before she could even start to talk, she noticed that he was twirling the small golden ring around her finger. That was the thing about Kris, when he was nervous, some part of him had to be moving.

“Who gave this to you?” he asked randomly.

“It was my mother’s.”

“Oh.” Violet laughed softly at his response.

“Break a leg love,” she said, placing a gently kiss on his cheek.

“Why are you wishing me to break things?” He looked confused.

“Because it’s bad luck to say…” she looked around and wiggled her eyebrows before mouthing the words “good luck.”

“I see,” he replied, twisting a strand of her dark hair around his index finger. If he would just stand still for a moment…

“Just go and have fun! I’ll be watching in the wings,” she said, patting his behind towards the direction of the door.

She felt a chill run down her spine, though whether that was from the way Kris had been looking at her or from sweating, she couldn’t tell. She skipped off to Kris’ dressing room to find one of his hoodies, throwing a big grey one over her head. God he smelled so good. Even as she struggled to get her head through the opening, she could hear the cheers and cat calls coming from the auditorium. So she ran backstage, arriving just in time for the music to start. Kris had been looking for her and when their eyes met, she winked at him, and again, he winked back. The beginnings of a new ritual.

The boys were shakin’ and bakin’ all over the stage and just about everyone was in tears from laughing, though it was mostly due to the fact that Max had been given a partner solo with Kitty and was milking it for all it was worth. And when his pants tore from trying to do the splits, he didn’t even care, he just shook it harder.

When it was all said and done, the boys bowed for what seemed like an eternity, and some of them even curtsied just for a laugh. Violet ran out onto the stage and jumped into Kris’s arms as the rest of the crew filed out for their curtain call. As soon as he caught her, he gave her a sweet but passionate kiss, holding her gently.

“Please promise me I’ll never have to do something like that ever again love. It was scarier than playing my first NHL game!”

“But you did such a good job. Did you have fun at least?” Violet asked, brushing some stray hair from Kris’ eyes.

“I guess I did. It was worth it because it brought me to you” he said with a laugh as Max shimmied by with Kitty in tow.

“You guys going to the after party?” Max yelled a little too exuberantly.

“Well, I’m not sure it I have a date for the evening” Violet said with a cute smile and her hands behind her back as she swayed slightly from side to side.

“Well I know this perfectly amazing girl that I’m going with, so…” Kris trailed of with a smirk as he drew her into an embrace.

“She’s a lucky girl.”

“Nah, I’m the lucky one,” Kris whispered, wrapping his arm around Violet’s waist as they left the stage for a classy evening of champagne, dinner and socializing. Max of course, would go to find the blond. After all, she had seen his underpants...it was only fair that he got a chance to see hers.

And that’s the story of how something potentially embarrassing became something completely wonderful. It’s the story of how Kris met Violet, and proof that Max Talbot is one in a million.
♠ ♠ ♠
The End!

Thank you so much to everyone for reading and commenting on my first ever story! In the end, i'm happy with the way everything turned out and am super excited to start my new story, which i already have planned out. I hope that you'll all continue to read and comment on my work because i appreciate it so much =) I'm from Canada so i'm going to wish you all a Happy Canada Day and may the free agent frenzy be kind to you!!

PS: I'm taking a poll. Brent Seabrook of Brooks Laich for the next story. i'm leaning one way but i'd love to know who you all would prefer to read about =)