Pas de Deux?

Chapter 2

Violet was startled awake the following morning by the sound of a blender, only it sounded like it was trying to crush a bag full of rocks. Figuring that Rhea was attempting to make one of her protein shakes again, Violet crawled out of bed, grabbed her hoodie and headed out into the kitchen expecting the worst. As she rounded the corner, she was hit with a serving of strawberry shake, screaming as the cold muck hit her face. Evidently, Rhea hadn’t secured the lid before she turned on the blender.

“Oh my god, I’m so sorry!” Rhea laughed.

“No you’re not, but I forgive you anyways,” Violet smiled back, breaking down into a fit of laughter.

“What the hell are you two doing in here?” Kitty questioned as she sauntered into the kitchen, attempting to model her newest leotard for the girls, who whistled and hollered as she began to strut around the living room.

“All I’m sayin’ is that Max will be all over that girl!” Rhea called.

“Good 'cause I’m in need of some lovin!” Kitty replied as she returned to the kitchen, slipping in a puddle of strawberry shake as she tried to shake her hips.

“Shit!” Kitty yelled as Rhea doubled over in a fit of laughter. Giggling, Violet bolted for the shower, knowing that Kitty wouldn’t be far behind her to get back in. Today was the day the Pittsburgh Penguins were coming to the rehearsal hall and they were both damned if they’d spend it smelling like strawberry shake.

Violet let the hot water wash over her and thought about the day’s upcoming events. She wasn’t going to lie to herself, she was nervous. Being in a room full of guys was scary enough for her, but throw in the fact that they were NHL players and good looking to boot, and poor Violet wished she could crawl into a hole until it was all over. Oh, and that they played for her favorite team and that she had a crush on Kristopher Letang, despite never having met him. She was screwed, and relecutantly turned off the water, wrapping herself in a towel.

She quickly dressed in her favorite black leotard and shorts, leaving her feet and legs bare for rehearsal. She pulled her dark wavy hair up into a ponytail and quickly coated her lashes with a layer of mascara. That was the thing about dance, you were stupid if you wore a full face of makeup to rehearsal because it would just melt off anyways. Throwing on a pair of track pants over her shorts, Violet grabbed her bag, ushering the other girls out of the apartment so that they wouldn’t be late for their 10:00 studio slot.

Rehearsal with the penguins wasn’t supposed to start until 1:00 so naturally, Eric had scheduled a stretching class for the company before hand.

“Great. We are going to be disgusting by the time the penguins get here,” Kitty muttered under her breath, making a face at Violet as they attempted to stretch their quads in time to the music. All Violet could do was nod her head in agreement. Her shins splints were killing her and she knew she’d have to pay a trip to Jasper, the therapist , before she’d be able to move anything later.

After class, a sweaty, and in her opinion completely gross, Violet made her way to the therapy room. She heard Jasper on the other side explaining some wild story which was followed by an uproar of laughter. Jasper heard her enter and motioned for her to join him where he was standing, only Violet didn’t want to go. In front of her sat the entire Pittsburgh Penguins team and in front of them was the video screen playing the company’s blooper reel from the first half of the dance season. Guess who was on the screen?

“Everyone, this is Violet…and this is the face she makes when she wishes she was dead” Jasper said, motioning to her face which was pink with shock and embarrassment.

“Aren’t you the one who fell through the trap door and then got dropped?” asked a voice with a French accent. Max Talbot. Great.

“Umm...well ya…I um.. had a bit of a rough start but I haven’t fallen though anything since…” Violet answered.

"Please don’t think I’m a loser, Please don’t think I’m a loser" she thought furiously, as if it would somehow help the situation.

“Atta girl!” Max replied with a wink.

“As long as you’re not with Geno, you won’t have to worry about getting dropped. We’ll make sure of that!” Sidney Crosby said while everyone laughed. Geno only nodded along, acknowledging that it was in fact a very real possibility.

“Ok, well, I better go and um, stretch or something…see you later” Violet trailed off wanting to get out as fast as she could. Max had made her feel better but all those eyes on her made her nervous. Shins still killing her, Violet left the training room before anything else could go wrong. On her way out a certain pair of brown eyes met her gaze. She instantly looked away, knowing who they belonged to. She’d seen them on TV enough times to know that Kris Letang had been looking at her. He offered her a small smile but it went unnoticed as she hurriedly left the room.

“Oh, she’s cute! I miss you already Violet!” she heard as the door swung closed. Talbot again. This was going to be interesting.