Pas de Deux?

Chapter 3

One o’clock rolled around and before they knew it, Kitty, Violet, Rhea and the other girls were seated in the studio waiting for the boys to show up. Stretching out her legs, Violet wondered how on earth this was going to work. They were contemporary dancers and she honestly couldn’t see Crosby and the gang busting out a serious Mia Michaels-esque piece (reference for anyone who watches so you think you can dance). She giggled at the thought while Rhea and Kitty argued about who was going to get to dance with who.

“No, Max is totally into me. I saw him in the lunch hall and he shimmied at me” Kitty said.

“Please don’t tell me you shimmied back”

“Oh but I did fair Rhea…He' s into me.”

“Now that’s love”

“It is, just you wait…You know who else I saw Violet?” Kitty asked coyly.

“Tell me Kitty, who else did you see?” Violet asked, acknowledging the assault that was about to hit her and then instantly regretting it.

“Kristopher Letang,” Kitty purred, tickling Violet on the arm and batting her eyelashes.

“So?” Violet answered trying her best not to blush.

“So! You want to hug him, you want to kiss him, you want to love him! You guys would be cute together” Rhea teased.**

“You’ve never even met him, how do you know?” Violet asked, completely embarrassed.

“Cause he thinks your cute too Violet,” came that same French voice that kept sneaking up on her.

Dear Lord. Where did he come from and how did Max Talbot manage to sneak up on people despite being so loud? Violet was beyond embarrassed, her face turning pink as Kitty and Rhea stared at her, mouths hanging open. Assessing the situation, Max retold the day's earlier events, trying to make Violet feel better since she seemed to have a habit of turning pink.

“Ok girls, teach me how to shake it!” Max exclaimed while trying to shake his hips and arms at the same time. It was not successful.

Before they could respond, Eric appeared at the front of the studio, attempting to explain the afternoon’s events.

“Ok so obviously we are not going to be doing a contemporary piece since I’m afraid it looks like most of these boys can’t touch their toes. Instead, I’ve invited one of the state’s best choreographers to instruct you all in a Latin dance. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, you will be doing the cha cha for charity!”

Naturally, the girls began to whisper excitedly amongst themselves while the boys groaned, well except for max of course who began to wiggle around again.

“Each player will be partnered with one of our dancers and you will learn the routine as a group so that you can perform at the benefit in one month’s time. I know you’re probably all nervous, but just remember its for the kids. Good luck!”

As if it were fate, their new instructor, Anya, paired Kitty with Max while Rhea was partnered with Jordan Staal.

“Violet, where are you dear?” Anya called.

“Right here ma’am,” Violet answered as she popped out from behind a gigantic Hal Gill. She saw Kris smirk at her, which sent a fit of butterflies through her stomach.

"Please not Kris, please not Kris," she silently prayed, knowing that she would turn pink again and say something stupid if it were him.

“Come stand right here beside Kristopher please.”

As Violet walked over to him, Kris ran his hands through his hair, shuffling his feet. A nervous habit that appeared when he met a pretty girl. Trying to make the best of the situation, Violet turned to Kris and asked if he’d ever danced before but he shook his head no.

“Well if it makes you feel better, I’ve never done ballroom before…so we can both be lost together.”

“I’d like that,” Kris replied in the French accent that made Violet melt. She’d heard it before on the TV but he sounded different in person, somehow sweeter, when he wasn’t giving out textbook answers to stupid questions.

Anya showed the pairs how to stand and hold each other, but when Violet and Kris weren’t standing close enough, she ran by and pushed them closer together. Too close. Violet could smell his cologne, which normally she hated. But Kris wore just the perfect amount. Enough to make a girl swoon rather than choke, and he was completely oblivious to the fact that he did it. Hoping that he hadn’t noticed her smelling him, Violet looked up at Kris to gage his reaction. He smiled nervously before receiving a smack on the behind from Talbot.

“Smooth Tanger!” Max called while Kitty gave Violet a huge grin flanked by two thumbs up.

Apparently Kris didn’t embarrass as easily as Violet would have thought because instead of turning red he just smirked while holding onto her the entire time.
♠ ♠ ♠
** if you've seen miss congeniality, you know how this goes...