Contagious

Chapter One

Chapter One

[Ellie’s POV]

The bell ring was sharp. It was loud enough to wake the dead, and as usual, it sent shivers down my spine as I woke up from my usual power nap through Study Hall. I stretched my arms above my head and lounged back in the cafeteria seat. Lunch was next, and definitely not looked forward to.

After several seconds, I picked up my Jack Skellington messenger bag from the seat next to me, and headed towards the library. As I walked, several girls bumped into me, trying to knock me to the ground, and send my books and loose sketches flying. Within sight of the library entrance, one girl’s push was successful, and I was sent tumbling through the air, and onto the floor.

“Watch where you’re going loser!” the girl yelled over her shoulder, swinging her barely covered hips as she walked. I stared after her while I picked up my new issue of Rolling Stone rom the tile, trying to bring down my frustration level. Count to ten, a voice repeated in my head. I nodded aimlessly as I stuffed the magazine in my bag and went on my way.

One

I walked up to the library entrance and pushed open the door. Looking around, I searched for a table to sit at.

Two

After finally finding a table by the windows, between the Foreign Language and American History section, I sat down on the wooden chair and took out the paper bagged lunch I prepared that morning.

Three

I bit gently into my peanut butter sandwich, chewing each bite slowly, trying to make as less free time as possible. Less free time, less time to let her out.

Four

“Ellie!!!” I heard someone called. Before I could turn around, I felt someone grab me from behind. Out of my peripheral vision, I saw curly red hair. Oh God, not now!

Five

“Um, Kelly,” I started at my only friend, “I suggest you get off. Quickly!”

With that, she pulled off me. She raised a brow under her straightened side bangs. She didn’t get the hint. Not good.

“What’s wrong?”

Six

I thought for a moment. How could I tell her, or even speak? i was losing my cool by the second, and I couldn’t think at all. “Are you okay? You’re paler than usual.....”

I could feel her trying to escape. I had to push her back inside me, where she belonged. I could feel my hair darkening slightly, to turn from light brown, to black. My hair follicles grew, and my eyes changed color. Gotta get to ten, no matter what.

“Ellie?”

Seven

“Ellie, what’s going on?”

My skin was burning now as she ripped to get free. Free of everything she didn’t like. School, patience, me... My voice cracked slightly as I muttered to Kelly,

“Take three guesses.”

Eight

She thought quickly, and shot out in a sharp whisper, “Did you get angry? Is she coming?” I nodded weakly and bit my bottom lip. Gotta keep her in. I can’t lose it here.

Nine

I gripped the edge of the wooden table to keep my balance, for I was shaking violently in the chair now. i was never taught how to control the pain of the transformation. Mom denied she existed my whole life, and never took my to a therapist. Someone to teach my how to control her, or get properly diagnosed. But I knew what I had. I had the devil, living inside of me.

You can run, but can you hide?

At that point, the corner of the table chipped completely off, and was suddenly in my fragile hand. But it wasn’t my hand. It was hers. Mine never wore black and red nail polish.

Come inside little girl. It’s a living hell in here. Wanna know how I feel?

Trapped is how you felt. Like an animal in a cage. You told me that once when I was seven, and you were ten. We used to play together when we first met, or at least got along. What happened to that relationship?

Being trapped inside your small little body happened. Cold hard reality.

I shook my head weakly. I was loosing control, and getting dizzy.

Come on. Only one more number. You can do it baby. Or are you too scared?

I’m not scared at all. Just don’t put me back in there! No! I hate it inside my head!

Feel what I feel. Take a step in my shoes. I like your better.

No No No!!! Leave my alone! Let me keep control!!! Stop it! Stop IT!!!

Night Night little girl. Don’t let the earwigs bite...

At that moment, I lost complete control of my arms and legs, and my mind itself. I was stuck in a dark room, full of blackness, and I could only hear her thoughts. The thoughts of a literally walking disease.

She took control....