‹ Prequel: Starlight (book 3)

Skylight (book 4)

Whispers

A month had passed when Kyra finally confronted Nia. I wondered why she didn’t throw me out of the hallway to keep me from eavesdropping; it was obvious she knew I was there.

“I might have been able to keep Dakarai from going after Rezse, but that doesn’t mean that I’ll continue to ‘cover’ for you if you just continue to sit here!” Kyra exclaimed. My jaw snapped open at her words.

“I have no idea if he’s coming back!” She continued. My hand flew up to my mouth.

“This isn’t his fault! It was just a freak accident!” Nia defended. I heard Kyra growl softly.

“Then maybe YOU should be the one to go find him!” Kyra insisted. I heard Nia shake her head.

“He’ll hear me coming, smell me coming, sense me coming, I’ll just continue chasing and he’ll just continue running. There’s nothing we can do but wait!” Nia protested.

“If you’re saying that it’s because you’re here he won’t come back, then you should go.” Kyra said plainly. This shocked me the most. That wasn’t like Kyra, saying that a newborn vampire, one with horrible self control who is lonely should leave our house. It was just, wrong.

“God damn it, Moon, I know you’re out there. Come in here and hear this story before you make your judgments on what’s right and wrong.” Despite her words, Kyra’s voice returned to its usual friendly tone.

I didn’t hesitate. I found myself in the room, staring at Nia with wide, confused eyes.

“Go on, tell her. It’s not my past to tell.” Kyra said, turning away as if Nia was about to show me something horrible. Something Kyra didn’t want to see again. I didn’t say a word; I just waited until Nia managed to spit out what she seemed to recoil against.

“I am Rezse’s great niece.” She muttered, never taking her eyes off of the ground. I choked back my startled gasp as I continued to stare, frozen in place. Understanding washed through me. Understanding about why Rezse reacted the way he did, but nothing else. There was so much more I didn't know... I stood waiting, still frozen.

“That’s all I know.” She whispered. I found my body, my voice.

What do you mean that’s all you know!?” I shrieked. Kyra put her hands on my shoulders, I stared at her in disbelief.

“You know more than she does, don’t you?” I hissed, my voice sounding much more hostile than intended. Kyra didn’t take any notice of it. She merely nodded once.

“But I can’t tell you. You know, you have to know that this story can only be told by Rezse. Some thoughts I’m just strictly not meant to read, those are the ones I ignore.” Kyra muttered. I shut my eyes in defeat, and nodded. My eyes flew open again.

“You don’t think he’s coming back?” I said, remembering their past conversation. I began to panic. Kyra shrugged.

“There was no intention in his mind to return…” Kyra muttered. My teeth ground together in frustration.

The sounds in the room suddenly began to change.

The silence twisted into something new, a feint whispering from behind me. I couldn’t make out the words, they seemed meaningless, but they were there. I twisted around in shock, the whispers came from what seemed to be nothing. There was no one else in the room.

I listened again, it was quiet.

I turned slowly, completely confused. What was that? I met Kyra’s eye, and she was staring at me. Nia was as well, but she was constantly looking over my shoulder, trying to see something that would have caused me to turn around in shock. She saw nothing.

“What?” Kyra asked. I shook my head at her, not sure what I would say. Oh, I just heard whispering from behind me, no big deal. I froze suddenly, remembering her special talent to read minds. I looked at her warily, but she was talking to Nia again. She heard nothing.

She would have known from the beginning, though. She wouldn’t have even asked what when I turned around. She would have been looking for the source of the whispering as well.

That made me panic, did Kyra not hear me, or was she simply waiting until we were alone, without Nia, to talk to me?

Kyra I thought. Her eyes flickered up to my face, an acknowledgment to hearing me, um… nevermind I said, turning to leave. She stared, but didn’t follow.

She didn’t hear me then, but she could hear me now?

I turned, confused. She didn’t hear thought that either.

My breathing became heavier, panicking. Not only was I hearing things, but Kyra wasn’t hearing anything!

“Kyra, can I talk to you?” I said, my voice sounding much more panicky than I wanted, it made it seem like I was up to something. She seemed instantly concerned, worried. She followed without question, leaving Nia alone. Just like she liked it…

I was thankful that Eamon went out hunting, so I wouldn’t have to see his questioning eyes, his worried look, and curious feet that would carry him to Kyra and my conversation. I led her out into the forest, waiting until we were completely alone to talk.

“Why could you not hear that?” I said eventually. She blinked slowly a couple of times, her mouth slightly open in awkwardness. I waited.

“Um… what?” She eventually asked.

“I was thinking about something in that room, and you didn’t hear me, at all!” I stated. She took a step forward, shocked.

“What do you mean?” She whispered, stunned, “What were you thinking about?”

I opened my mouth to tell her, tell her I had heard voices, whispers. My throat suddenly became thick, I choked on the words. Gathering my senses, I came up with something else to say, something that fit.

“Just, about Nia, and theories on whether or not Rezse is coming back, and how he knew that Nia is related to him. And you were so still, it shocked me! You really couldn’t hear any of that?” I said. Kyra froze, completely baffled. She shook her head, slowly.

“But… but I could hear everyone else, every thought they had. I didn’t miss anything, and I could hear some of your thoughts! Just not the others, but why…?” Kyra muttered, beginning to speak too fast for me to follow. She was muttering to herself, becoming quieter. I couldn’t hear after a while.

Moon… I heard.

I twisted around, adrenaline shot through me along with fear. It was the voice again, it must have been! My eyes shot frantically through the trees, looking for something, anything. Out of my peripheral vision, I thought I saw a flash of red.

“C’mon Moon, let’s go back to the house, test this out.” Kyra said, pulling me out of my search for something in the woods. I blinked weakly a couple times, following Kyra back to the house. I knew that Kyra wouldn’t have heard the voice, nor my thoughts related to it. I frowned, scared…

“I can’t be slipping…” Kyra muttered, I barely heard her.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm in a bit of a hurry, so I can't put my thoughts up on this chapter yet. Comment, please! :D